PDA

View Full Version : What springs should i choose this time?

jnolte
12-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Hey guys

I am deciding what springs to go with. H&R has the most drop(thats what i like) Eibach has less drop. How bout Vogtland springs?? ANybody have Volgtland springs? How far down does it drop your car? J Irwan how much did you cut your springs?? Should i cut the front springs one coil? And run #1 pads all around? I am not sure what to do. I like a LOW drop but maybe not too low where everything drags. Ilike Pnsjis ride hight the best. What are you runnin? Any spring coil cut? TIA

sleek_benzo
12-03-2003, 07:35 AM
don't cut your oem spring.. thats dangerous..
i use to drive a honda civic... at first i thought it would be the best
way to go and the cheapest... but its too bouncy and you get bad control... cutting spring is not the way to go..

moebiusgold
12-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by sleek_benzo
way to go and the cheapest... but its too bouncy and you get bad control... cutting spring is not the way to go..
I am nopt going to dissagree on "its not the way to go" but what you needed was more shock. Cut spring=higher spring rate=more dampening needed. Now we have to include the tire sidewall in the picture too but I'll just leave you with it is also a spring (so is all physicall stuff) and there is some tuning to be done/required there.:)

bc24
12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
H&R Cup Kit.

C280 JR
12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
its simple, if you liked your last set up, do the same thing again

ELvir

moebiusgold
12-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by C280 JR
its simple, if you liked your last set up, do the same thing again

ELvir
Too bad he didn't buy it back from the Ins. Co.:(

jnolte
12-04-2003, 01:06 AM
I have a freind that could sellme some Eclass Brabus springs. FOr the w210. Will these work with a C43? I know they have same spring pads. But do you think it would fit good? And do you think it would drop the car as much since its for a heavier e-class..i could always cut them!;)

CKlasse
12-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sleek_benzo

Nothing wrong with cutting springs as long as they aren't progressive spring. Being too bouncy is on the shock setup :)

EDIT: oops.. Moe beat me to it already :)

ricerokets4life
12-04-2003, 09:59 AM
H&R Springs all the way.

sleek_benzo
12-12-2003, 11:26 AM
well.. i dont like to risk safety for style.. i guess thats just me.. and besides its a mercedes.. doesnt your car deserves the best anyways

KWiK
12-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
...ANybody have Volgtland springs? How far down does it drop your car?...
No need to cut coils, the Vogtland springs(#952079) should drop your car about 40mm.

I had Vogtland on my C230 coupe and thought they were just fine. Also, after taking the Vogtland Tour (http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4063) , I know that they know springs. I am even considering dumping my Brabus springs for the Vogtlands.

jnolte
12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by KWiK
No need to cut coils, the Vogtland springs(#952079) should drop your car about 40mm.

I had Vogtland on my C230 coupe and thought they were just fine. Also, after taking the Vogtland Tour (http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4063) , I know that they know springs. I am even considering dumping my Brabus springs for the Vogtlands.

Well hey if u get rid of ur brabus i will buy em from you!

KWiK
12-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Well hey if u get rid of ur brabus i will buy em from you!
You could just buy the Vogtlands then swap me... ;)

Then your car would look as good as this...
http://www.club203.com/images/c43/C43_Carlsson_Brabus_001_w.jpg

Denlasoul
12-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I think our friend jnolte would prefer a drop like his old car:
http://benzworld.org/gallery/goto.asp?id=24865

BoominVolvo
12-13-2003, 12:45 AM
I don't mean to thread-jack or anything, but I'm in the same situation but a more specific question.

Would you guys prefer H&R Sport Springs on Koni Sport shocks, or an H&R Cup Kit? I'm hesitant about the cup kit because my brother has them on his BMW and the rear springs seem very soft and he rubs all the time.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

C280 JR
12-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Volvo,

The best suspention set up for our cars is H&R with Bilstein shocks

Elvir

MBATF
12-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Ok guys i m gonna tell u guys something about the H&R Cup Kit.
Which it had been test by myself with Metric Motor Sport at the Thunder Hill Race way.

H&R Cup Kit is a very good set up for Pro-Tracks (Ralley racing)
But not a good idea for evryday driving.(at least for w202)
They have Shoter shocks, and most drops of springs.

Stiffer Springs with softer quick rebound shocks( which provides great tracktions around the corners at high speed or high speed doing lots of turns)

But. with Cup Kit installed, you will wants to make sure you have 17inch or less size wheels and correct off-set( the w202 max offsetwill not bee good), and with the correct camber adjustments, also sway bars to comeplete teh whole suspension.
which will cost lot more and sometimes are not sueable to daily driving.

For daily driving, the Cup kit will give u so much drops that u have to make sure u rolled ur fenders and narrower wheels to make sur eit doesn't rob teh She*hT out of ur fenders (trust me)
And have more tehn 2 passangers in ur car? forget about it.

on top of that the Drop that Cup kit Gives are too low that will decrerase teh performence of teh car, unless u modify the comtrol arms.

So at the end. Cup kit it is good for what they can do, but do you really want to spend that much money to do all that for just daily driving?

H&R Sports spring drops are nice and just right.

By the way, will anyone wants to buy teh Cup Kit from me???? i m selling it, no joke

CKlasse
12-13-2003, 11:37 AM
w202 on Vogtland springs....

http://www.jonestuning.com/ken/cklasse2.jpg

KWiK
12-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
w202 on Vogtland springs....
what size spring pads are you using?

JRE320
12-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
Ok guys i m gonna tell u guys something about the H&R Cup Kit.
Which it had been test by myself with Metric Motor Sport at the Thunder Hill Race way.

H&R Cup Kit is a very good set up for Pro-Tracks (Ralley racing)
But not a good idea for evryday driving.(at least for w202)
They have Shoter shocks, and most drops of springs.

Stiffer Springs with softer quick rebound shocks( which provides great tracktions around the corners at high speed or high speed doing lots of turns)

But. with Cup Kit installed, you will wants to make sure you have 17inch or less size wheels and correct off-set( the w202 max offsetwill not bee good), and with the correct camber adjustments, also sway bars to comeplete teh whole suspension.
which will cost lot more and sometimes are not sueable to daily driving.

For daily driving, the Cup kit will give u so much drops that u have to make sure u rolled ur fenders and narrower wheels to make sur eit doesn't rob teh She*hT out of ur fenders (trust me)
And have more tehn 2 passangers in ur car? forget about it.

on top of that the Drop that Cup kit Gives are too low that will decrerase teh performence of teh car, unless u modify the comtrol arms.

So at the end. Cup kit it is good for what they can do, but do you really want to spend that much money to do all that for just daily driving?

H&R Sports spring drops are nice and just right.

By the way, will anyone wants to buy teh Cup Kit from me???? i m selling it, no joke

Talking from experienced. Cup kit are soft and believe or not I saw couple of people coming back asking to take off their the cup kit. Replced them with regular H&R sport springs. If I were you I'll set it up with H&R and bilstein sport shocks with #1 pad all around.