PDA

View Full Version : $8000 worth of damage?

96W202
12-05-2003, 12:36 AM
I don't post a lot on here, but I lurk a lot, and I really hate to have this as my first post in the repairs section.

Just earlier today my parents and the C220 got into an accident. I believe a Celica rear ended them and tore up our muffler. I'm not too sure but it looks like the pipes are bent from the cat on back... along with a lopsided bumper and trunk. The driver side quarter panel of the frame seems to be pushed foward too and possibly some other non vissible damages. The car actually looks ok, but up close there's lots of damage. Luckily no one was hurt
My question for all you 202 fanatics is what should I do? Insurance is going to cover it. Any suggested shops in the San Francisco Area worth checking out?
I kinda want a performance exhaust to replace the old one... but I'm not too sure if my dad will like that :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance!

Will take pictures when I get the chance

jnolte
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Yeah if i were you i would "take advantage" Dont let teh insurannce company fuck you, fuck the insurance company.

Get some performance exhaust a euro trunk lid and maybe a diffrent back bumper, heck you might as well modd the whole dang car!!

manny
12-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by jnolte

Get some performance exhaust a euro trunk lid and maybe a diffrent back bumper, heck you might as well modd the whole dang car!!

What is a " euro trunk lid " ?

moebiusgold
12-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by manny
What is a " euro trunk lid " ?
It has a miniscule "lip" on the upper back edge. I wouldn't even call it a spoiler. Look at the pic of Mike Mtchell's lid that I posted in the members gallery last weekend. It is subtle, therfore I really like it.:D :cool:

Renn 208
12-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I could be wrong, but by Euro Trunk Lid, I think jnolte means this:

http://www.club202.com/nokia8860/90.jpg

As for a quality shop to do the repairs, you might want to look at Topline in Burlingame. Very high quality work, and Zim's sure to set your car as right as it should be.

www.toplineautomobile.com

CKlasse
12-05-2003, 12:45 PM
I would go for the INSURANCE CHECK... then shop around.
Eurotrunk lid is available on the classified section for dirt cheap ($180 I believe).
CATBACK exhaust for C220... you can a performance one through me for few bills. :)

Then all you need to do is shopping around for a paintshop!

edit.. here is a link to the eurotrunk lid click (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2272)

I ll try to upload some picts on the c220 catback later on tonight

nokia8860
12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Renn is correct. This is a euro trunk lid

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album20/back_end.sized.jpg

This is not

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pf2e5726e3ddf56f4f2cd8bef0c1d1ed1/fa6b5b2a.jpg

That lip is as moebiusgold pointed out is found on all model updated 202, euro or not.

The euro trunk for sale is pre update and does not have the lip. Installing a pre updated trunk on an updated car or vice versa has some issues. However as seen on the pic above you can install a model updated trunk on a pre updated car :)

96W202
12-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, this euro trunk lid sounds good, however I'm still having troubles finding a good picture of it. I did a search for it and couldn't find much. Does anyone have a better picture? Maybe I'm just looking at it all wrong....
A question I have is will it work on my 96? The picture Nokia posted shows the 202 with the euro trunk doesn't have a key hole where as the non euro trunk lid has one and my c220 has a key hole.
Last question, what's a good exhaust system for the C220, I'm pretty sure this would be better off in the performance thread but it looks like a few of you hang out there.

nokia8860
12-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 96W202
I'm still having troubles finding a good picture of it.

The picture I posted should be good enough. The main difference is the cut out for the license plate. A euro trunk lid is designed to fit the longer 520mm plate. Keep in mind the holes on the trunk are made for 520mm plates not the 300mm US plate.

Other than that it looks exactly the same as the trunk found on north american cars.

A question I have is will it work on my 96?

The one for sale in the classified will work on your car as that trunk is pre model update and your car is pre model update as well. You want to make sure that the trunk comes with the longer trunk trim piece (the part that covers your license plate light) as that part is as well only available from europe.

If your 1996 model comes with the keyless entry IR port in the rear, your bodyshop will have to cut this hole for you as this, i believe, was not an option available on the 202 in europe.

The picture Nokia posted shows the 202 with the euro trunk doesn't have a key hole where as the non euro trunk lid has one and my c220 has a key hole.

Yes my car came with a key hole too but I elected to shave off the lock durring installation.

Man recaro better give me 35% commision for doing the tech/customer support for this!

Last question, what's a good exhaust system for the C220, I'm pretty sure this would be better off in the performance thread but it looks like a few of you hang out there.

Contact cklasse, he is the man when it comes to exhaust.

96W202
12-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Nokia! That really clarified it a lot for me, I just came back from Topline, it seems like a good place to get my work done there. I heard a lot of the members from here go there, while I was there I saw a C230 and C36.
My other choice right now is Eurotech, anyone heard of it?

nokia8860
12-06-2003, 03:20 PM

My other choice right now is Eurotech, anyone heard of it?

The one with the R129 hanging from the side of the wall with the wheels spinning? From what I hear they suck.

sf280
12-06-2003, 03:41 PM
I cannot imagine that the insurance company would cover 8g's in damage to a 96 C220 - that has to be near the blue book of that car. Good luck, but maybe it is time to put $$ into a new car and not fix up your existing one.

96W202
12-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Nokia: That's the place, supposibly Autobahn take their cars to them. But if what you hear is true, then I'm going to cross them out, I was really impressed with the cars that were at Topline compared to Eurotechs.
SF: Price is not a problem since the other driver's insurance is covering it, I did bring up the subject of just getting a new C, but my parents want to keep this one, since they knwo it's reliable and buying a new one would be a bit risky becuase it's hard to say how well the previous owner took care of the car. I think another reason to why my dad wants to keep it is becuase this was his first mercedes :)

moebiusgold
12-07-2003, 05:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nokia8860
[B]Renn is correct. This is a euro trunk lid

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album20/back_end.sized.jpg

This is not

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pf2e5726e3ddf56f4f2cd8bef0c1d1ed1/fa6b5b2a.jpg

That lip is as moebiusgold pointed out is found on all model updated 202, euro or not.

Hmm, I feel like a dummy again. Hmm, I think that Mike M. has a lot more facts other than HP not straight. At least I like the Lip;)

Renn 208
12-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nokia8860
[B]
Hmm, I feel like a dummy again. Hmm, I think that Mike M. has a lot more facts other than HP not straight. At least I like the Lip;)

That's what sharing and learing is all about right? better to be a dummy for a moment, than to walk in ignorance forever:cool:

We all have dummy moments from time to time...except of course for Elvir:bunny:

nokia8860
12-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
We all have dummy moments from time to time...except of course for Elvir:bunny:

ohhhhhh low blow. :p

btw abt the car. seeing as this is you dads car maybe it would be best for the bodyshop to just fix the car pre accident state instead of changing things.

just might go smoother that way?

96W202
12-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok I already asked this in the classifieds but, if I did get the trunk would I need to drill new holes to fit the US Plates? How did Nokia do it, I see that he has both euro and US plates on it.

714guy
12-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Ok I already asked this in the classifieds but, if I did get the trunk would I need to drill new holes to fit the US Plates? How did Nokia do it, I see that he has both euro and US plates on it.

just drill hole into the us plates for it to fit.

96W202
12-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Nokia, Possibly but it can't hurt to have a few mods here and htere :D I drive that thing sometimes too! and I might possibly trade cars with him, I'm getting tired of driving a volvo :(

MrSpace
12-11-2003, 03:35 AM
I'm getting tired of driving a volvo :(

sounds familiar:) (I'm driving a near 600 000km volvo)

Etienne