PDA

View Full Version : too old to mod????

W202
12-09-2003, 07:31 PM
my car currently got about 100kon her
but then i want to mod it...is it too old to get some mod like
camshafts...intake...header...chips...etc...(not supercharger or turbo):rolleyes:

jnolte
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
hey nothings to old to modd. I think Moebuisgolds car has like 99k on it and hes modding it!

W202
12-09-2003, 07:43 PM
cuz if u + turbo on the 100+ k car
i am sure
the engines life is shorter

jnolte
12-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by W202
cuz if u + turbo on the 100+ k car
i am sure
the engines life is shorter

Of course, but u stated not a turbo or S/C:tired:

W202
12-09-2003, 07:52 PM
so those cam, chip,intake,header....cylinder thingy is ok rite?

C280 JR
12-09-2003, 08:04 PM
anything that does not belong on the car is bound to hurt it eventually, but its very minimal...my firend has a 180K audi, and its dropped with intake short shifter and exhaust bla bla, and it still goes..

Elvir

BoominVolvo
12-09-2003, 08:12 PM
My brother bored, stroked and turbocharged his '89 BMW 325is with 192k miles! but he also pretty much rebuilt the motor too, so that helps out alot!

Denlasoul
12-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Do the research on what you may think about doing. It will help you to decide what mods you can get away with.

W202
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
oh ya!!i want to kinda renew my engine
wat do i need??
is it expensive?

jnolte
12-09-2003, 09:26 PM
oh ya!!i want to kinda renew my engine
wat do i need??
is it expensive?

to do it urself u need S K I L skillzzz. or a good mechanic and a big bank account, well not big but bigger than mine. lol

moebiusgold
12-09-2003, 09:29 PM
A leakdown test will tell if things are good or not. I've had SB chevs leak more than my C36 (100,753 now) with less than 10K on them. These are really good motors. In my opinion, they are amonst the most durable per HP ones out there. From what I have heard you don't have to worry about crank bearings and the such, but things like gaskets and seals. My C36 has had some of the vaalve cover crap replaced twice. Good luck:D

W202
12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
leakdown test?
oh by the way
anyone changed their spark plug?if so wat company? where to get em?...and intake also..i read lots of thread about intake...
especially the 2phate.com..but still no idea which to go for...or just custom?

moebiusgold
12-10-2003, 05:20 PM
leakdown test?
oh by the way
anyone changed their spark plug?if so wat company? where to get em?...and intake also..i read lots of thread about intake...
especially the 2phate.com..but still no idea which to go for...or just custom?
Leakdown is kinda like a compression test but better. The cylinder is pressurized with regulated air threw an orifice while at TDC. Basically the closer the pressure downstream of the orifice is to the regulated pressure on the upstream side, the better things are. Among other things you can hear where the leaks are. As in sound coming out of the intake or exhaust or crank case oil filler. I use the stock plugs, Bosch super whatevers. Never heard of 2phate.com? Got a link? Before you start hot rodding the engine everything should be up to stock standards at a minimum. You can't make up for problems by adding nitrous or a chip or whatever with ending up with bigger problems in the long run. Wires plugs filters fluids MAF O2's hoses..... When all of that is squared away then you can start having real fun.:D

Denlasoul
12-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
Never heard of 2phate.com? Got a link?

I think he meant Rik's site: www.2phast.com

W202
12-10-2003, 07:46 PM
oh i saw that site

ricerokets4life
12-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
You can't make up for problems by adding nitrous or a chip or whatever with ending up with bigger problems in the long run. Wires plugs filters fluids MAF O2's hoses..... When all of that is squared away then you can start having real fun.:D

moebius, are you saying to do the wires, plugs, etc first before doing actual extensive work on the engine? can you explain what i can do to the MAF, O2s, hoses?

w202, i have about 70,000 miles on my c280 and i built a custom intake at about 60,000. its more of a short ram than a cold air like the one on 2phast.com. its been running okay...i just had to replace a faulty harmonic balancer and do routine maintenence but i dont think that is affected by the intake. im planning to redo the intake (heatshield, aluminum pipe, bigger cone filter) sometime around x-mas. ill keep everyone filled in on the progress.

moebiusgold
12-15-2003, 07:11 PM
ricerokets4life,
Unless you know when all of the Maint. type stuff has been done, thats what I would do. It's like buying a used car. Almost 0 owners out there are going to sell it if at just had a major service done. Obviusly, I don't know the details of what you have or want to do. If you wanted to take the easy way out I'd find a C36 motor out of a wreck and transplant it if you want to go a lot faster and still be just as reliable as a stock C280. There is no substitiute for displacement (CI in US lingo). Going faster is a question of how much $ do you have. On the tuneup stuff, just use the Search function. In general, the more you lean on an engine and or the harder you use it, the better everything has to be. So with that in mind, it is fine to upgrade some of the stuff from stock, especially if it is time for a repalcement. Plugs , wires, coils, Cats, and mufflers are a good example. I have no idea what they would by you. All I can say is that I own an older 280 euro and I can't belive how anemic it seems now (compared to the 36).
BTW, from where I come from you didn't really change the intake, which I consider to be the maafold that ends up in 6 swoopy pipes, but you modded the air filter into a cold air intake, as in someones CAI. I'll post pics of what was done to Mikes car someday. I think that it is a much better setup, almost impervious to rain.