PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem Please Advise Exhaust/smog!

qqbennyqq
12-09-2003, 10:04 PM
OK GUYS, just got back from DMV. They told me i need to go to a TEST ONLY SMOG CENTER. So about 2 month ago i changed the stock muffler to the magnaflow. After i changed it I noticed that the smell is very noticible and its smells like the gasoline smell or soething. like someone that had instal a straight pipe. but all i did was change the muffler not the exhaust. i dont know if the smell was there before and i didnt notice it and because i jsut got a new exhaust i was lookin at it and i smelt it. Is this smell normal ? i have a c280 that has 150k miles on it so im thinkin the cat might have died or somethin .. but i dont wanan spend money ?WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

714guy
12-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by qqbennyqq
OK GUYS, just got back from DMV. They told me i need to go to a TEST ONLY SMOG CENTER. So about 2 month ago i changed the stock muffler to the magnaflow. After i changed it I noticed that the smell is very noticible and its smells like the gasoline smell or soething. like someone that had instal a straight pipe. but all i did was change the muffler not the exhaust. i dont know if the smell was there before and i didnt notice it and because i jsut got a new exhaust i was lookin at it and i smelt it. Is this smell normal ? i have a c280 that has 150k miles on it so im thinkin the cat might have died or somethin .. but i dont wanan spend money ?WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

that happened to me too when i had to smog my car i was liek WTF test only is for cars that is 10yrs or older. Anyways when i tested my car i had the brabus exhuast and the car passed with flying colors. Also if your worried at all drive you car hard, i heard a hot cat will help you pass smog.

qqbennyqq
12-09-2003, 10:52 PM
o did u smell anythin wierd though? and how many miles did u ahve

714guy
12-10-2003, 01:07 AM
all i smell is gas and i have 90K went i tested

CKlasse
12-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Your car is running rich - a tune up would help.

BTW it is normal for an engine to run rich before it reaches the running temp. Try to warm up your car, the gas smell should go away. If the engine runs overly rich, you'll end up ruining the cat and set off the O2S. A ruined cat'd smell like a rotten egg. :)

C280 JR
12-10-2003, 09:30 AM
define rich!

Elvir

jnolte
12-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by C280 JR
define rich!

Elvir

BILL GAYTES

sf280
12-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
BILL GAYTES

Freudian Slip?

CKlasse
12-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
i heard a hot cat will help you pass smog.

.. or a HOT HOT woman!

sorbo
12-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Your car is running rich - a tune up would help.

BTW it is normal for an engine to run rich before it reaches the running temp. Try to warm up your car, the gas smell should go away. If the engine runs overly rich, you'll end up ruining the cat and set off the O2S. A ruined cat'd smell like a rotten egg. :)

How long do the stock cats last? my 94 280 @ 93000Mi sometimes has that rotten egg smell. the car has had no exhuast work so could it be time for a new cat after 93000?

714guy
12-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
.. or a HOT HOT woman! or a nice chump of change too

jnolte
12-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
or a nice chump of change too

Or a fat sack a purple kush.

qqbennyqq
12-10-2003, 11:32 AM
ok , i just spent like 1 hour smelling the fumes out of my car haha, i realize that the smell is only s trong when the car is not warmed up and right in the beggin, after i drive it the smell isnt there anymore , but i still dont know if i will pass because it has 150 miles to it already

jnolte
12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
ok , i just spent like 1 hour smelling the fumes out of my car haha, i realize that the smell is only s trong when the car is not warmed up and right in the beggin, after i drive it the smell isnt there anymore , but i still dont know if i will pass because it has 150 miles to it already

Feel any smarter? LoL

CKlasse
12-10-2003, 01:24 PM

Since, you are still alive after sniffing that exhaust fume for an hour, you'll pass the emission :D :D ;) So how's life with few millions brain cells less? :p

benzdude280
12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
THE best way to make sure it passes is to make sure the engine is at normal running temperature. Ocatane booster helps also.