PDA

View Full Version : w202 key

mjax
03-04-2003, 10:50 PM
I was thinking of getting a spare key, like in this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6776&item=2405386137&rd=1) ebay auction. Other than programming the key for the car, would I need to do anything else? Will the actual metal key work, or would I need to get one from the dealer?

I'm trying to figure this out, because the dealer charges an outrageous amount, and I really need a spare key.

JimPurdy
03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
You will need to have the dealer not only re-program the electronics of the transmitter but the internal bar code is read in the ignition switch so that have to be changed too. The metal door/glove box key will also have to be changed. You should have gotten 2 fobs with metal keys and an "emergency key" that has only the bar code inside that will start the car but not open the doors.
Jim

maxboxa
03-05-2003, 12:26 PM
i need one of these too. that was a good price, but like JP says, expect to pay the dealer some $$ to program it.

pnsji
03-05-2003, 06:23 PM
I doubt this will work since they key is tied to your vin number. Once you place an order to the dealer, the dealer has to order from MBUSA to cut the key and also program the key.

mjax
03-05-2003, 08:52 PM
crap, I might as well just buy a new key from the dealer.

I did get two keys and a valet key, but one of my keys got stolen a while ago.

MBATF
03-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Man, i bought a new key before since once i lost one of my key, and spare key was no where to be found, the dealer chrged me $175 and becuz it was shipped from Europe

wizo
03-07-2003, 05:18 AM
I went down to the dealer awhile back to get another key. I told even after they order it and get it in they still will have to program it. They also could not give me a cost estimate on programing but said atleast 3 hours at $75.hr, RIP OFF.

dwang
03-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by mjax

I did get two keys and a valet key, but one of my keys got stolen a while ago.

I would advise you to go to the dealer to have the stolen key disabled. They will know exactly which key is the stolen key and they can disable it so that it won't open the doors or start the car. Otherwise, you risk the chance of the finder driving off in your MB...

Dave

mjax
03-10-2003, 10:52 AM
yeah, I did that first thing the day after I got my key stolen.

Shude
03-10-2003, 03:06 PM
I asked my stealership about this today and this is what I found out.

A car is normally shipped with 2 keys and a creditcard-key. A brand new key (new style) is about $80 USD and the creditcard one is about $40 USD. The EIS on a w202 can only handle a total of 8 keys, so if you're adding a key to it then it will be the 4th, if you already have 8 keys on the car when you buy one you won't be able to use it without having the others removed first, I was told that the process is very tricky and would take approximately an hour (at my local rates that's $130 USD per hour! ) however for me they would do it for nothing (so they said) .

I might be using this information soon because a car I looked at is being sold with only the one key (which is a new style one) so I think there are already 4 keys able to open the car and they are only providing ONE. Where are the other keys? It will cost me a lot of money to replace the missing keys and have the old ones removed so I would like to knock this money off the offer for the car. I don't think that's too unreasonable!

Brabus
03-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Interesting... the old keys didn't cost that much. I duplicated my key for the w124 for like $35!

dwang
03-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
Interesting... the old keys didn't cost that much. I duplicated my key for the w124 for like $35!

I think it's the EIS that makes the key so expensive... The non EIS car (ie. W124, W163, etc) keys are all RELATIVELY cheap.

Dave