PDA

View Full Version : cold weather = decreased gas mileage?

GDawgC220
12-10-2003, 03:13 PM
hey all,
During the past few weeks, temp's in MA have dropped a lot, usually in the 30's nowadays, at times even lower. Does cold weather take a toll on gas mileage? before the cold weather started to stay here, I was getting about 300-350 miles before i refilled (usually right in the middle of the last quarter section).
I reset the trip meter to see how many miles i was getting and was about 100 miles per quarter section.

Now, usually at the half mark, i get about 160miles, before refilling, about 260-270...this normal with the weather?

Thanks!

-G-

vas2vas
12-10-2003, 03:43 PM
well, what are you doing different? are you warming up the engine every morning? some drop is normal (1 or 2mpg), but come to think about it what yo're reporting is excessive, I record my miles every gas up and keeps track of gas mileage, you could try doing the same....
ps how old is your oxygen sensor?

manny
12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
10 % increase in consumption in cold weather is quite normal.
When you start plowing snow, it could go as high as 20 %.
Given my location & being a fanatic about tracking fuel consumption, that has been my experience. ;)

CKlasse
12-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Keep in mind that rear wheel drive vehicles lose more mpg in snow too.

vas2vas
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
hmm haven't noticed any change yet.... I don't warm up the car and I often use the "REST" function instead of idling to keep the heat running... I love this function!!!! I usually get 1or2mpg less in the winter.... my yearly fuel mileage fluctuates between 19 and 23 mpg depending on season, type of driving and of course speed :D funny enough my rise in consumption is somewhat curbed, probably because I can't go as fast in bad weather:(

GDawgC220
12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Keep in mind that rear wheel drive vehicles lose more mpg in snow too.

yea...i use my car daily to and from school, about 45 mile round trip. And with the snowy/icy weather, my rear tires do get their exercise :D

so I figure this is normal during the winter. Actually, sometimes my gas gauge fluxuates...like today. When I was driving home, it dropped to the middle between full and empty, exact middle. As i was stopped at a light, i glanced over at it and it was above the middle line! I was like, huh?

I just came home and i've driven about 195 miles and now the gauge is right dab in the middle...interesting.

-G-

98_Benzo
12-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Now I always thought that cold air was better for your car which increases gas mileage? (I am probably wrong) Usually when people put cold air intake on their vehicles, it's to bring cold air into the engine to keep it cool at higher RPM's....which would mean that your not burning so hot, so you won't use as much fuel? I don't know, at least that's what I always thought. Also if you read the performance gains and info on a cold air intake system, it says "Increased Gas Mileage, HP gains, etc...". I don't know, someone please clarify for me, thanks!!!:confused:

x15jq
12-30-2003, 03:22 PM
My 99 clk 320 gets terrible gas mileage. I have a cold air intake witha cone filter, and a magnaflow muffler on it.

I average about 225 miles till my reserve light goes on.

Sometimes i get on it, but since i installed the blizzak snow tires, ive been driving real easy because i dont just want to wear them out to quickly. Havent had much snow here in NJ, and i dont like driving on snow tires.

sph17
12-30-2003, 03:45 PM
With my old C220 I would get as much as 34 MPG on a trip. That was constant 65 MPH with the A/C compressor turned off for 450 miles on a tank.

With my C280 about the best I can get is about 28 under the same conditions. With using the A/C compressor, in the summer, or to defrost the front window in the winter, my MPG drops a few MGP. As noted above, during the snow storms we had recently, my MPG dropped to 19 MPG, when ususally I get 25 in the same circumstance.

rad2000
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Don't forget to check your tire pressure. Cold weather plus normal loss of air could easily cause a 3-5 psi drop over a month. I know my mileage drops when the tires get soft.

toamend
01-12-2004, 05:04 AM
I'm in the northeast also, and my C43 drops to 20-22 mpg during the winter. I thought it was something about a change in gas formulation for winter, to reduce emissions or something?