PDA

View Full Version : wat transmission do u use?

W202
12-10-2003, 11:07 PM
just wondering
did anyone get a manual one??
oh..also...for drag race...wat will u guys do? just floor it in D??
or start with 2 -> 3->D??
1 more question...when u are going into a turn ...for manual u would need to shift down..wat about for Auto?
can u shift down to 3 or 2?? will that dmg the transmission?
:)

Goldeni245
12-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Knowing that it's a benz, good auto trannies...I just mash the pedal and let the gearbox strut its own stuff.

98_Benzo
12-11-2003, 08:23 AM
or start with 2 -> 3->D??

I don't know about you, but I usually started in 1st and then shifted to 2nd and so on.....it must be a pre '97 that you have, right? Ask the people in any other country besides the stupid US, about manual transmissions..we unfortunately did not get those here. As for drag racing, becareful, you don't wanna mess your tranny up. These cars are meant for track racing and not straight line racing. They have Driveability + Handling + Performance = Track car. Now just Performance would be a drag strip car...just becareful. To answer your question, if your not experienced enough at shifting through the gears, then just leave it in D, less chance of messin up your tranny.

jnolte
12-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Hmm i leave it in D! but if you got that S-W thing next to your shifter make sure its in S when u race. W starts u out in 2nd for wintery starts!

moebiusgold
12-11-2003, 06:25 PM
The only time I don't leave it in drive is when I allreaddy rolling and don't want to wait for the downshift. I pull it into the appropriate gear, then mash it. Then I out it back in drive before I forget... I'm starting to like one feature on the electronic trans. When you are not in OD and it decides that you want performance mode and you back out in the middle of a turn it keeps that gear for a couple of seconds vs shifting instantly like the older trans. This is nice cuz you don't have to put it in that gear manually to keep it from shifting. Just remeber the HP peak is well below the redline and there's a limiter there somewhere (that I haven't manged to run into yet). You're going to have to be real good to do better than it does.
BTW, all high performace cars that I have/had don't run exactly the same every time. Other factors that make a big difference are Barometric pressure and humidity. Winter gas also sucks. Thats where a lot of gas milage goes. They put a lot of shorter chain more volital Hydrocarbons in the mix for those out there that still have Carbs. Just be happy that you don't have to deal with MBTB (or whatever it is) or Ethanol or .. I wish we had 93 octane like Amoco in the Mid West.:)

ricerokets4life
12-15-2003, 02:08 PM
i used to shift into appropriate gears manually once in a while but i started to notice hard shifting and bucking so i stopped doing that. its been fine ever since.