PDA

View Full Version : broken power antenna

hvmercy
12-12-2003, 03:24 PM
my c230's antenna crapped out on me. It doesn't go down anymore, however if I manually push it down it will.
Is there an easy way to replace this? I called Smythe in Stevens Creek and asked for price on replacement and almost got a heart attack.

Or better yet, maybe I should just replace it with the new ones I see on later model Cclass.

thanks,
hvmercy

vas2vas
12-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
my c230's antenna crapped out on me. It doesn't go down anymore, however if I manually push it down it will.
Is there an easy way to replace this? I called Smythe in Stevens Creek and asked for price on replacement and almost got a heart attack.

Or better yet, maybe I should just replace it with the new ones I see on later model Cclass.

thanks,
hvmercy

well it sounds like the mast just broke, this is common especially during the winter... if the motor is still good you can just get a new Hirschmann mast... it shouldn't cost more than 30-40 bucks... or you can replace the whole assembly for a fixed aftermarket antenna like the slk has for much less. the roof antenna on newer benzes is very nice, but will be quite a project...

pnsji
12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
I might still have the SLK antenna.
You could easily figure out if the motor is working or not by having someone inside the trunk listening to it.
The motor sound should be pretty loud.

hvmercy
12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by vas2vas
well it sounds like the mast just broke, this is common especially during the winter... if the motor is still good you can just get a new Hirschmann mast... it shouldn't cost more than 30-40 bucks... or you can replace the whole assembly for a fixed aftermarket antenna like the slk has for much less. the roof antenna on newer benzes is very nice, but will be quite a project...

I thought it would be quite a big project to replace it with the roof antenna so I'll be practical. I'll replace the mast...Where can I find these? I also mentioned to the dealer about replacing the mast but they said it's makes more sense to replace the whole assembly, I think they're just jerking me off. The whole antenna assembly is listed at $315 + installation...:mad:

thanks,
hvmercy

hvmercy
12-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by vas2vas

Hi,
The motor still works. Whenever I turn on the stereo, I can hear the sound coming from it (antenna that is).

Are you getting rid of your SLK antenna? Wanna sell it to me?
I can see you're local, I'm in Hayward.

hvmercy :)

hvmercy
12-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
I might still have the SLK antenna.
You could easily figure out if the motor is working or not by having someone inside the trunk listening to it.
The motor sound should be pretty loud.

oops! I quoted the wrong message... sorry.
See previous.

apologies!

vas2vas
12-12-2003, 11:03 PM
oops! I quoted the wrong message... sorry.
See previous.

apologies!

it's ok, but since the motor works try to see how much you can get the mast for.... it's like $58 at bimmerzone, but try BMA Imports at http://www.bmaautoparts.com ... they have good prices...

vas2vas
12-12-2003, 11:08 PM
I thought it would be quite a big project to replace it with the roof antenna so I'll be practical. I'll replace the mast...Where can I find these? I also mentioned to the dealer about replacing the mast but they said it's makes more sense to replace the whole assembly, I think they're just jerking me off. The whole antenna assembly is listed at $315 + installation...:mad:

thanks,
hvmercy

of course they would say that... all dealers in general... it makes more sence FOR THEM! power antennas are a good way of making money, they take 15-20 min to replace they bill you 1-2 hrs and charge you twise as much for the part...

714guy
12-13-2003, 11:49 AM
i am selling my used one off a 97 c280 the whole assembly mast and motor, let me know if you interested. look at my signiture.

thanks

hvmercy
12-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
i am selling my used one off a 97 c280 the whole assembly mast and motor, let me know if you interested. look at my signiture.

thanks

Thanks. I already placed an order at bmaautoparts.com as soon as I saw the reply from Vas2vas.

just missed it by that much :)

regards,
hvmercy