PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.......springs.

manny
12-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Getting ready to install some 1 bump springpads on my 2000 C 230 K.
Are their any other options, beside using the horribly expensive Klann compressor, to do this job safely ?
My main concern is with the front springs. ;)

MBATF
12-27-2003, 01:10 PM
un bolt the control arms and use a jack to slowly pring it down till teh spring is lose, but have to make sure where ur jack point is at or will slip and teh spring will pop to ur face.

KWiK
12-27-2003, 07:00 PM
use the proper spring compressor, the job will go much quicker, and much safer...

C280 JR
12-27-2003, 08:57 PM
how long do you guyz estimate the time to be in changing the pads up front for a first time

Elvir

714guy
12-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by C280 JR
how long do you guyz estimate the time to be in changing the pads up front for a first time

Elvir
w/out the spring compressor i would guess at least 2 hours a side.

moebiusgold
12-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Make it easy on yourself. Rent or buy a good spring compresser. It'll save piles of time that you can use for other good stuff. Pluss it cuts down on the bleep, bleeps.;)

CKlasse
12-28-2003, 08:45 AM
Many local tool/parts stores in Denver lease/rent out tools for free all the time. Check your local stores!

C280 JR
12-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
w/out the spring compressor i would guess at least 2 hours a side.

i taught it was impossible to take it out with out spring compressor

Elvir

714guy
12-28-2003, 03:31 PM

Elvir

nothing is impossible. :D :cool:

714guy
12-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
Make it easy on yourself. Rent or buy a good spring compresser. It'll save piles of time that you can use for other good stuff. Pluss it cuts down on the bleep, bleeps.;)

the spring compressor needed for the w202 is $500+ not worth it if your gonna to just do it a couple times. Also i dont know of a place that rents one either. Besides only the front take a long time the rears are easy.

C280 JR
12-28-2003, 08:19 PM
i might use my friends AUDI spring comressor...would that be any easier comared to some other compressors in autozone, and pepboyz

Elvir

J Irwan
12-28-2003, 09:02 PM

Elvir

I lowered my car myself without the help of spring compressor :D:D

If you know, how to do it nothing is impossible.

But whenever you want to do a DIY, always inspect carefull and study how all the mechanical part work together, and also ask yourself alot of question "if" after you study the layout (i.e: if I take this out, would this part came out as I expected etc..etc..)

And please be safe, since the spring might sprung out and might injured you if you not carefull.
These force from the spring is pretty great, enough to do some damage ;)

Regardz,

speedybenz
12-28-2003, 09:05 PM
I have not checked this method, but I would give it a shot.

It would involve separating the upper ball joint and then loosen the two lower control arm bolts and remove the swaybar connection to the control arm.

Make sure the lower arm is supported when you remove the upper ball joint . By loosening up the control arm bolts you allow the control arm to rotate out and down, maybe enough to remove the spring.

My eariler attemps at this method were no good but I did not loosen the lower control arm bolts and that makes the control arm almost impossible to move downward due to the friction in the bushings. With the bolts loose the arm should just rotate downward with little trouble allowing removal of the spring.

Jeff

C280 JR
12-28-2003, 09:24 PM
see my main fear is damaging the lower control arm bushings

Elvir

jnolte
12-28-2003, 09:30 PM

Elvir

Well they problay need replacing anyways!

moebiusgold
12-29-2003, 06:20 AM

Elvir

You won't hurt the bushings doing what Speedbenz says. I doubt you could hurt them even if you didn't undo the bolts but you'd have to be superman to push that lower control arm down far enough. Other than age what really kills the bushings is not loosening the bolts when changing ride hights. This causees the bushing to be continuously twisted whch starts cracks in the tension areas. I can rent a nice compressor for $20 for the day. Not made for MB specifically but works fine. My experience is the these bushings won't last 10 years. All 4 or my lower C36 front have been replaced. Good luck and careful, those springs can have a lot of stored energy. :D

jnolte
12-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
You won't hurt the bushings doing what Speedbenz says. I doubt you could hurt them even if you didn't undo the bolts but you'd have to be superman to push that lower control arm down far enough. Other than age what really kills the bushings is not loosening the bolts when changing ride hights. This causees the bushing to be continuously twisted whch starts cracks in the tension areas. I can rent a nice compressor for $20 for the day. Not made for MB specifically but works fine. My experience is the these bushings won't last 10 years. All 4 or my lower C36 front have been replaced. Good luck and careful, those springs can have a lot of stored energy. :D

I may rent a compressor, but am unsure on install, i dont want a spring in the face, ehh what the heck might as well try. if not i can allways hire Rsports to do it for 160

714guy
12-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
I have not checked this method, but I would give it a shot.

It would involve separating the upper ball joint and then loosen the two lower control arm bolts and remove the swaybar connection to the control arm.

Make sure the lower arm is supported when you remove the upper ball joint . By loosening up the control arm bolts you allow the control arm to rotate out and down, maybe enough to remove the spring.

My eariler attemps at this method were no good but I did not loosen the lower control arm bolts and that makes the control arm almost impossible to move downward due to the friction in the bushings. With the bolts loose the arm should just rotate downward with little trouble allowing removal of the spring.

Jeff

Somebody mentioned doing it this way by just remove he lower control bolts, i think you need a lift for this.

the way i do is remove the uppper control arm ball joint, then lower control ball joint and its work fine.