PDA

View Full Version : Gears?

J-98C43
12-14-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm curious that I've never seen anyone on the boards say anything about swapping out their gears? What's the stock gearing and is there a dependable swap to a shorter gear? I'd like to strengthen the hole shot. These things are sweet on the highway but how often are you going to be above 130? I'd like to trade some of the top end acceleration for some added low end.

Anyone done this?

MBATF
12-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by J-98C43
I'm curious that I've never seen anyone on the boards say anything about swapping out their gears? What's the stock gearing and is there a dependable swap to a shorter gear? I'd like to strengthen the hole shot. These things are sweet on the highway but how often are you going to be above 130? I'd like to trade some of the top end acceleration for some added low end.

Anyone done this? Becuz its pricy and involve with lot mnore then just change/ upgrad teh gears. Also since the w202 most of them also have tranny ECUs and u have to have the right MB programs to update them, but even if its do so, teh master ECU might not accept them, and involv with lot more. I coul dbe wrong but its just seems gonna cost too much for so little.

By the way, u posted in teh wrong section

vas2vas
12-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by J-98C43

Anyone done this?
I believe by gearing you mean to swap the differential (final drive) for one with al higher ratio like 4.xx or something... I had a 3.91 LSD (was factory option) in my old BMW and it did wonders for 0-60 times compared to cars with the ordinary one... it also raised the rpm at highway crusing... and reduces mpg.... this recipy does limit top speed and improves overall acceleration.... I don't know of any specific tuners for M/B.... try a google search....

J-98C43
12-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Sorry about posting in the wrong section. Didn't do it intentionally.

98c43amg
12-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by vas2vas
and reduces mpg....
.... I don't know of any specific tuners for M/B.... try a google search....

vas2vas,
Wondering, by how much was the mpg reduced?

J-98C43,
The most we can get into [or out of] our differential caseing is about 3.45:1. Good for about a couple of tenth's from 0-60mph.

I engaged in a detailed thread once on the topic, < here > (http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board/en/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=2454&sid=&hilight=&hilightuser=850) .

There's MKB, sold by EvoSport.

You may also call Berg Werks (http://www.bergwerks.com/different.jsp). ...I only wish they could do an LSD customization too.

There's someone here who does LSD customizations [ Benzmac from MB Auto Werks (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2259&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) ] but sadly not ring and pinion gear change too [at least he didn't reply when I asked].

I want both!
:cry:

vas2vas
12-20-2003, 08:35 AM
the engine run on higher rpm (thann it would with a conventional open high gearing differential), so mpg was slightly reduced during higway crusing... I estimated about 1 or 2 mpg, but after about 75mph :).... mind you this was not aftermarket, but a factory option, so the ECU/TCU was set accordingly to compensate...