PDA

View Full Version : chip

shinbri116
12-15-2003, 11:22 PM
first of all, i was wondering what a chip actually does to ur car, cause people say that my c280 might be chipped. I bought my car from a sport car enthusiast that might have chipped it, cause when i floor it i always red line the car not on 2nd but on d. And how would you check if you car is chipped or not, where would i look to see if it is, my car is 94 c280...

if you could help that would be great, thanks..

jnolte
12-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey mang u from washington? As in Western WA? Kool another wa st member!! Theres a bunch of us here now Denlasoul, 98_benzo, BoominVolvo,edub,Moebuisgold,Bc-24,eurosport and problay others but its late and i cant think. Welcome to the club!!

Denlasoul
12-16-2003, 07:16 AM
I am not too sure what a stock chip looks like, but if you access you ECU and open it up you might find a chip that has a manufacturer's name on it. Powerchip, for instance. Also, check for soldering around the chips of your ECU. If you have an aftermarket chip, maybe the soldeirng is different from the other chips present.

Lastly, run your car against another C280. With the I6 (model years 94-96).

J Irwan
12-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by shinbri116
first of all, i was wondering what a chip actually does to ur car, cause people say that my c280 might be chipped. I bought my car from a sport car enthusiast that might have chipped it, cause when i floor it i always red line the car not on 2nd but on d. And how would you check if you car is chipped or not, where would i look to see if it is, my car is 94 c280...

if you could help that would be great, thanks..

That is the tranny still adapt to the previous owner habit.
Although I am not sure if the older tranny have adaptive module on it.

By the way do you have w/s switch mode.

If you do, you could try to switch it to W and drive it for 5 min or so then switch it back to "s".
This should reset it.

Regardz,

1SIKBNZ
12-16-2003, 08:09 AM
Irwan, so if you drive in w for awhile then switch back it will relearn you driving style and the tranny will adapt accordingly?

J Irwan
12-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
Irwan, so if you drive in w for awhile then switch back it will relearn you driving style and the tranny will adapt accordingly?

That's my understanding.

Somone mentioned that on mercedesshop a while ago...

Regardz,

jnolte
12-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
That is the tranny still adapt to the previous owner habit.
Although I am not sure if the older tranny have adaptive module on it.

By the way do you have w/s switch mode.

If you do, you could try to switch it to W and drive it for 5 min or so then switch it back to "s".
This should reset it.

Regardz,

NO, Adaptive tranny started in 1998 perhaps 1997 but i think 1998. And the W/S switch mode started in 1997.

J Irwan
12-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
NO, Adaptive tranny started in 1998 perhaps 1997 but i think 1998. And the W/S switch mode started in 1997.

I know for sure that my car has adaptive tranny and 5 speed in which is 1997

As for the older model, yes they don't have it.
I wasn't aware that his C280 is a 94:) (somehow I missed it).

Regardz,

DougandhisC280
12-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Yes, it was 97. Why don't you ask the person before you if he put a chip in it. It's pretty hard to mistake a 10 percent horsepower gain. My car is unchipped and it redlines too. Oh by the way, the chip remaps the fuel system to feed the car more fuel and suck in more air.