PDA

View Full Version : '98 C43 with bekkers AMG Composite 2 replica wheels

walden
12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
hello all

bekkers.com has these SL 2 piece SL wheels replica in 18x8, 18x8.5, they also have 18x10 but i know those won't fit.

i am worried about brake caliper clearance etc.

any info on this?

i love these wheels and hope they fit on a C43

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BI&Category_Code=mrrimscomp

kameraguy
12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Well, I know a person that has a C36 with those wheels. He has the 18x10's for the rears.

He said he didn't need spacers to clear his front or rear brakes.

The rears defintely were too wide, but he had to roll his fender. It still rubbed though on the outer fender.

It looked good though.

I beleive the C43 and C36 OEM wheels have the same offset and size, so I would think this info would apply to a C43 too.

pnsji
12-18-2003, 11:21 AM
If you like AMG SL2 style, you can also get this wheel from Japan
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/japanMB/amgwheels.jpeg

They "Look like" AMG SL 2 but better quality and you can order custom offset.

walden
12-18-2003, 11:29 AM
do you know who this guy is?
can i speak to him?
the guys over at bekkers says it won't fit.
but i sort of think it will and these are the only wheels i really want to get....

maybe, i can order them and put them on to test it!

hmm....

pnsji
12-18-2003, 11:32 AM
It *could* fit. I saw them myself.
It need shaving the back of the wheels because of the offset.
You need a shop to do this.
You also has to roll the fender out.

In general, it would be pretty difficult to have them fit.

walden
12-18-2003, 11:34 AM
pnsji,

wow! they look nice, but how much? $1000 each?
the replica's are about $250 each....

where can i get more info on the SL2?

walden
12-18-2003, 11:36 AM
i know that the 18x10 will have problems fitting the rear...

but bekkers has 18x8 at et37, i think this should fit the front
and bekkers also has 18x8.5 at et25....this looks like it will fit the rear since AMG monoblock 18x9 et35 will fit the rears and most people use 10mm spacers to bring them out a little...

does my logic sound correct?

J Irwin was concerned about caliper clearance on these wheels for the fronts. any info on that??

pnsji
12-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by walden
pnsji,

wow! they look nice, but how much? $1000 each?
the replica's are about $250 each....

where can i get more info on the SL2?

If your budget is $250 per wheel, forget about the japanese ones.
They are very expensive due to quality.

pnsji
12-18-2003, 11:39 AM

and bekkers also has 18x8.5 at et25....this looks like it will fit the rear since AMG monoblock 18x9 et35 will fit the rears and most people use 10mm spacers to bring them out a little...

J Irwin was concerned about caliper clearance on these wheels for the fronts. any info on that??

I never see the 18x8 version.

The guy who put in the real SL2 on his C36:
18x8.5 -> F
18x10 -> R

I know for sure the 18x8.5 will fit the front without a problem, but you need to shave about 10 mm fto make it fit.

walden
12-18-2003, 11:46 AM
so, even for the composite 2 replica 18x8.5 from bekkers, i would need to shave off 10mm to make them fit?

i know the 18x10 you will need to shave off 10mm.

pnsji
12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
18x8.5" for the back > no need to shave
18x8.x5" for the front -> NEED to shave

J Irwan
12-18-2003, 12:39 PM

Let me clarify

Bekker does sell 18x8 replica of SL 2pc..
in which I am pretty sure it won't clear C36 caliper

To my knowledge there are about 2 guys ever put original SL 2 pc 18x8.5/18x10 on W202

One goes by the name turboturle on bnzsport but I think he sold his car to someone else (silver C36)
and the other one is Wess (black C43)

The reason the original SL will NOT clear C36/C43 is due to high offset
(hence when you put this wheel on W202 the wheel will STICK OUT more than the fender lips).

I think turboturle and Wess has some shop to shave theback of the wheel just enought to clear the caliper and to be within the fender lips... (I don't know the detail how much mm was shave and all that).

But since it was never intended for W202 , I guess if you want to have one of a kind fitment you'd have to pay the price.

First of all the wheel sets are not cheap and 2nd I never trust shaving the back of the wheel method. In my opinion it will compromised the integrtity and safety of the wheel under extreme condition..

That's why custom wheel like HRE, Kinesis, Fikse, IForged are expensive since you could specify specific offset and wheel backspacing clearance( for caliper)..

Then again You'd get what you paid for.

If you want to go for Original SL2pc I'd suggest go for Japanese wheel where you can specify offset..
Don't mess with wrong application wheel, at the end it is your life rolling on it.. ;)

PS: Offset alone will not guarantee clearance of big caliper brake..
The offset and wheel backspacing will have a lot to do for brake caliper clearance. Wheel backspacing usually depend on the spoke design.

Regardz,

Renn 208
12-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan

I think turboturle and Wess has some shop to shave theback of the wheel just enought to clear the caliper and to be within the fender lips... (I don't know the detail how much mm was shave and all that).

8mm, at least for turboturtle...and yep the car is long gone.

Three Point 6
02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
pnsji

Do you have a link to the Japanese AMG wheel in your post - That is hot! Chrome lip is where its at.

Jo'sC36
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
yes, 10" will fit, but trying to find a shop that will do it the right way is even more challenging.

I mentioned to J Irwan I went to a lot of trouble/research trying to figure out how to fit the rims with wrong offset for a 202 and most importantly, without any rubz. The end result was well worth it, no rubz at all and car is running smooth.

Will I buy another rim with wrong offset, HELL NO!!!

J - Ill try to take more pics when I get my car back from the shop...hopefully soon.

Jo's C36

Anyway, here is a pic of my C36 with 18 x 10" on the rear.

http://www.sunmantra.com/joe/joC36pict.jpg