PDA

View Full Version : Wheels bearings???

714guy
03-12-2003, 04:49 PM
sometimes when i just roll slowly i hear a churning noise sort of like bearings rubbing up against each other, could this be the bearings ore bad or out of place?? If so how do you fix it? replace it or just put them back into the right position and regrease them.

Thanks

speedybenz
03-14-2003, 10:02 AM

To look at the wheel bearing, reomve the tire and use a flat blade screw driver to slowly pry betwwen the bearing shell and the hub.

You can work or use slight force to get the blade betwwen the hub and shell and then just continue to pry the bearing shell off. When you get it about 1/2 off you can grab the shell with some channel locks to remove it completely. Put a rag between the pliers and the shell to keep from marring the surface.

The bearing is held in placeby a collar that locks to the spindle with a 5mm allen bolt. Loosen the bolt then you can adjust the bearing or remove it.

To adjust it, turn the collar in with about 20 ft-lbs of torque, then back off the collar 1/8 of a turn. You want the disc brake rotor to still spin freely or with just a minor load.

Once you get that done, tighten the 5mm bolt and put the bearing shell back into place.

If you need new bearings you need to remove the race also, and unfortunately I have not checked into the procedure to remove the race.

Jeff

Luwin1026
03-14-2003, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna check my wheel bearings this weekend! :D

speedybenz
03-14-2003, 04:58 PM
On my car I found that the wheel bearings were just a little loose. It doesn't take much.

But after adjusting them to the right load on the bearing, it really made a big difference on how the car drove and felt. The car felt much tighter and went right where you pointed it.

Until you adjust the bearings up, it is hard to realize what a big change it will make. Plus it is easy to do.

Jeff

714guy
03-17-2003, 02:13 PM
thanks jeff, I keep hear a clicking noise no the driver side, i sounds like one of then fell out. i am goin to check it out tommorrow

Rincewind
04-11-2003, 08:05 PM
did this clicking noise on driver side happen when you made left turns?

i got something like that just recently

not really sure wtf it is

Rincewind
04-11-2003, 08:06 PM
i was thinking maybe it was my shocks or springs, but from the comments on this thread i think its something else

how easy was this for you to fix? or cost if you had someone else do it

Rincewind
04-11-2003, 08:13 PM
i also get a metallic noise coming from the rear when i go over bumps at 70-80 mph, usually on highway