PDA

View Full Version : Replica or Real (AMG Monoblock II)

BoominVolvo
12-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey guys. I'm gettin some 18" AMG Monoblock II wheels pretty soon, and I'm just wondering what the difference between the replica and the real ones are besides a $200 price difference.
Any input would be appreciated.

Martin

Scotty-C190E
12-22-2003, 11:22 PM
It REALLY matters what replica you are buying. There are good and really bad. IMHO, the Bekkers Import replica is the best. Perfect shape and nice finish. They are made by Intra and TUV approved. But, with the deals on the real thing out there consider buying used. Try ebay or the classifieds.

BoominVolvo
12-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post that I was looking at the Bekkers Replicas

jnolte
12-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Well AMGs are better because they are the real thing. But the replicas from bekkers are nice too. Ive heard some replicas to not fit well, be out of round or heavier. But Bekkers replicas are of hi quality. so put it this way. If i was goin just Silver then AMG it would be. But if it was chrome(YUCK) or powdercoated(YEAH) then i would go replicas. Unless i could get a deal on some AMGs to paint or something like that. I plan to go a blacked out 18 some time in the future.

Scotty-C190E
12-23-2003, 11:10 AM
I should also add that the lip on the bekkers will be deeper than the real AMG because AMG was allowing clearance for large brakes. So unless you are going to big brakes in the future you will be fine with the replicas. Again I don't want to sway you from checking out the real thing. Depending on your future plans for the car, you may regret replicas down the line if you value name brand at all.

P.S. I am speaking from experience here. I had the 17x7.5 Bekkers monoblock II for a long time and was happy with them. However, that all changed when I found a wonderful deal on the real AMGs. I went with the C36 setup and I really like the deeper 8.5's in the rear. C-Class can handle even deeper depending on how low your car will be in the future. Several C36 owners go with the E55 AMG set-up, so give it some thought.

BoominVolvo
12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks for you input. My plan is go to with Monoblock 18x8 and 18x9 in the rear. The Bekkers list 41mm and 38mm offset respectively. Those offests will work correct?
The Bekkers wheels seem very enticing because they are nearly half the price of the real AMG Monoblocks, and my only big plans are these wheels and H&R Sport Springs on #1 & #2 pads.

pnsji
12-23-2003, 12:20 PM
E55 wheels:
Front: 18x8 ET 31 mm
Rear: 18x9 ET 35mm

41 mm offset could be abit too much. You could ask them for fitment and if they giv e you 10mm spacers for the wheels.

pnsji
12-23-2003, 12:32 PM
nevermind, double post

Denlasoul
12-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Boomin-

I have the E55 setup on my car. Since we are local, maybe you can check it out sometime. You can find a few pics in the Member Gallery and in Events.

DLS