PDA

View Full Version : attn wheel shoppers: don't buy 18(you wont be happy)...GO 19!

joesc280
12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
this is just to let people know who are looking to buy new wheels.....if you wanna do new wheels strictly for looks with performance as a added bonus....take heed....you MUST GO 19 inch....the reason i say is because of experience......18's will definitely be cheaper and less problematic as far as fitment....but you will be kicking yourself later for not going all the way when you had the chance....i just bought a set of 3pc japanese $3000 dollar rims and am kicking my self in the ass because they look smallish with that deep azz lip....19's would have filled up the well better and would have costed maybe $200-400 dollars more...and i would have gladly payed the premium had i known that i would realize this....not dissing 18 users(because i have 18's) i'm just saying...for most i think 18's on a w202 look small....i mean i'm seeing civics and the like rockin 19s wit no problem...and they look rightfully huge.....i think 19's look more natural without being gawdy and taking away from the car.....just my 2cents....

714guy
12-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by joesc280
this is just to let people know who are looking to buy new wheels.....if you wanna do new wheels strictly for looks with performance as a added bonus....take heed....you MUST GO 19 inch....the reason i say is because of experience......18's will definitely be cheaper and less problematic as far as fitment....but you will be kicking yourself later for not going all the way when you had the chance....i just bought a set of 3pc japanese $3000 dollar rims and am kicking my self in the ass because they look smallish with that deep azz lip....19's would have filled up the well better and would have costed maybe $200-400 dollars more...and i would have gladly payed the premium had i known that i would realize this....not dissing 18 users(because i have 18's) i'm just saying...for most i think 18's on a w202 look small....i mean i'm seeing civics and the like rockin 19s wit no problem...and they look rightfully huge.....i think 19's look more natural without being gawdy and taking away from the car.....just my 2cents....

my 18s fill up my wheel well perfectly. Also the reason they look smal is b/c of the 3 piece wheels always look smalll. what sixe tires you running?

C280 JR
12-23-2003, 07:49 PM
my wheels look descently big, i know with the driving i do, i would have bent 19in wheels in no time...i bearly get my 18s thru potholes on the highways..i could not imagine 19s

ELvir

joesc280
12-23-2003, 07:57 PM
215/40 front

and 265/35 18 rear.....pirelli p7000

joesc280
12-23-2003, 07:59 PM
if you plan on going stagger rims....cause that lip makes the rims look like 17....i will post pics soon

Denlasoul
12-23-2003, 08:28 PM
I dont think that your advice is helpful for fellow wheel shoppers. You are making a statement without any supporting evidence. If you had some pictures or description of you car, that would be helpful.

You said yourself, the wheel looks small because of the deep dish. I am running 18 Monos on a 1.5 inch drop, and IMHO the setup looks great. I also know a person who had 17 Monos on a more drastic lowering, and the difference is not that obvious. Many different factors play when deciding if the wheel works, like dish, face, finish.

Also, like a few members have said, 19's arent that practical for the 202. The amount of rubber on the wheel for an 18 is already quite small, and would be smaller with a 19 wheel.

Im not trying to attack you, but your statement might be taken as gold by those not too familiar with wheels/setups/etc etc. While, we appreciate your opinion, it would be better if you gave us the pics and setup for support. It also allows the readers to make their own decision. What you might think is right, may not be what's right for another. :)

jnolte
12-23-2003, 08:49 PM
I think DLS is mad! run for cover! he may ram u off the road! LOL jk

but its true i would NEVER run 19s unless i had a C220 and i dident care about speed at all.

18s are prime for the look but the weight is also a factor if u race or like speed alot.

17s i like but look kinda small, i remember tho a WA st member had 17s and his car was hella slammed and they looked like 18s.

SO basically

19's LOOK prime, Rub like a mofo, heavy, cant really mobb the corners anymore.

18s look great, kinda heavy, u can still pretty much do all the powerslides and drifts u want with out a problem but weight is a factor.

17s Look good, a little small, light, great for those corners and less unsprung weight.

moebiusgold
12-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Hmm, the only rub I have is when I bottom an outside front out while makin a slow sharp turn. The front 19's touch in exactly the same places as my stock C36's 17's do. You know, that corrugated crap under the ABS mount and .... so I don't even worry about it. I still can't belive that my rears don't rub but then I haven't managed to get them bottomed out yet.
BTW, a lot of stuff affects effective tire patch (contact area). Everything aside, the 43 sticks in turns a lot better than the 36. Yeah, the best Kuhmo's don't quite compare to the P Zero Neru's but I'm talking a big difference.

jnolte
12-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
Hmm, the only rub I have is when I bottom an outside front out while makin a slow sharp turn. The front 19's touch in exactly the same places as my stock C36's 17's do. You know, that corrugated crap under the ABS mount and .... so I don't even worry about it. I still can't belive that my rears don't rub but then I haven't managed to get them bottomed out yet.
BTW, a lot of stuff affects effective tire patch (contact area). Everything aside, the 43 sticks in turns a lot better than the 36. Yeah, the best Kuhmo's don't quite compare to the P Zero Neru's but I'm talking a big difference.

PF

It dont rub cuz u got such extensive fender work. Dident Mike take it somewhere to get the fender work done ?

J Irwan
12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I dont think that your advice is helpful for fellow wheel shoppers. You are making a statement without any supporting evidence. If you had some pictures or description of you car, that would be helpful.

You said yourself, the wheel looks small because of the deep dish. I am running 18 Monos on a 1.5 inch drop, and IMHO the setup looks great. I also know a person who had 17 Monos on a more drastic lowering, and the difference is not that obvious. Many different factors play when deciding if the wheel works, like dish, face, finish.

Also, like a few members have said, 19's arent that practical for the 202. The amount of rubber on the wheel for an 18 is already quite small, and would be smaller with a 19 wheel.

Im not trying to attack you, but your statement might be taken as gold by those not too familiar with wheels/setups/etc etc. While, we appreciate your opinion, it would be better if you gave us the pics and setup for support. It also allows the readers to make their own decision. What you might think is right, may not be what's right for another. :)

:werd:

exactly...!!!!

there is a huge different between what you like to be on your W202 vs the best w202 setup.

Wheel diameter is not the only size that matter.

It's all about eye illusion

Thing such as:
*)Lip design will affect how big/small a wheel will looks from a distance.
*)Same with facial design of the wheel (fatter spoke/fuller face vs thinner spokes, etc and
*)wheel color (i.e Black center, gunmetal center, silver center etc).
*)Car color would also have affect on how big the big or small wheel will looks

If my car were black my 18" will looks even bigger since the silver color of the Monoblook facial will stand out..

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwDvAuMW6nOM7e4FlfotnzeiUcaymp7klGHh034ZtBLE*bCvz rmDjuoL2qFBFN14!f*2Fg92sJLm5J0jp*wsEJYDnAr9PR2KJw3 1eiKvACkN3F!NGaGHnA/101-0104_IMG-resized.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PADXAjMRafJLYWRvq6m4KXHiNQuRAyAD3udC4KMa3OsHWVZSP fGvMiANANUPYu2WAbSIvWSFqyXZlbVtp7bAhGiC5U9kIDgf/2.jpg

Also 19" BBS LM would look just the right size because of the step lip design..

(IMHO 18"mono vs 19" BBS LM looks almost as big)

And to throw into the equation 18" BBS LM will looks as big as 17" mono because of the step-lip design :)

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/goto.asp?id=6304

Why do we care for this ...

because we're trying to make this site to be as informative as possible, not just what you think is best without any supporting data.

I don't mean this as an attack for you, merely to give out more accurate info so other can benefit from it..

PS: nothing personal against you ;)

Regardz,

joesc280
12-23-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm not downing anyone with 18's because as of right now i still have 18's.....but if you have stagger wheels wit a deep lip...MOST PEOPLE will think they are smaller than they really are.....i feel i did not get my mercedes to race so weight is not a concern....nevertheless it wouldn't be much lighter than a 19 anywho.....i wanna drive slow to showcase my mods.....lol....but i am not saying my opinion is law....but i still believe that 19's on a w202 will LOOK better...whether or not it fits better is not what i'm saying.....the 18s i got were built to fit this car, per advice i recieved on this very forum regarding offsets and max widths and such.....i'm just trying to reciprocate the love....and steer someone who maybe boderline on the issue....in a sense give them a gem of wisdom from my own experiential knowledge....

J Irwan
12-23-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm not downing anyone with 18's because as of right now i still have 18's.....but if you have stagger wheels wit a deep lip...MOST PEOPLE will think they are smaller than they really are.....i feel i did not get my mercedes to race so weight is not a concern....nevertheless it wouldn't be much lighter than a 19 anywho.....i wanna drive slow to showcase my mods.....lol....but i am not saying my opinion is law....but i still believe that 19's on a w202 will LOOK better...whether or not it fits better is not what i'm saying.....the 18s i got were built to fit this car, per advice i recieved on this very forum regarding offsets and max widths and such.....i'm just trying to reciprocate the love....and steer someone who maybe boderline on the issue....in a sense give them a gem of wisdom from my own experiential knowledge....

btw joe what kind of 18" wheel that you currently have with deep lip..

please post some pic.. :)

Regardz,

jnolte
12-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
btw joe what kind of 18" wheel that you currently have with deep lip..

please post some pic.. :)

Regardz,

Dont u remember he has those Linea sport wheels that he was trying to sell, u posted pics for him, they ar the 3pc with 3.5 inch lip

J Irwan
12-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Dont u remember he has those Linea sport wheels that he was trying to sell, u posted pics for him, they ar the 3pc with 3.5 inch lip

ahh..

now I remember, thanks :D

I just didn't remember who it was who trying to sell the wheels.. :)

Regardz,

moebiusgold
12-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I thought those LS wheels looked good. I like the pseudo old school deep dish look. I also wondered "why is he selling these, If they were mine I'd be plenty happy". I also think JIrwins C36 looks great:D. I am also very fond of stock style wheels. I just can't handle how much they weigh. I agree with his analysis about look and function. And Jnolte, there's been by most peoples standards a lot of work done to the 43's fenders but I could have taken them even farther. I'll show you some '68 Charger fenders, you'll see what I mean. If I cut the rear inner fender sheet metal I could get 275's in there, & if the rears were 1/2 inch narrower with the same ET.:( . The fronts have only had the lip rolled up and it's not close to flattened, about 1/4" wide. The only problem with cutting it down to an edge is that if it does ever catch, kiss the tire and fender good by, and if you are lucky, nothing else. I was surpised how much the tire can move around on the rim and bushings, suspension bits, and frames really flex when you load them up or do unexpected things like hammering the brakes over a bump turning in reverse. I've cut some tires and munged up some fenders and been pretty embarresed, basically learned the hard way which was the only way I knew how for way too long.

KWiK
12-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Re: attn wheel shoppers: don't buy 18(you wont be happy)...GO 19!

:cool: I'm very happy with my 18" wheels...

http://www.club203.com/images/car_stuff/mercedes/c43/C43_Carlsson_Brabus_001_w.jpg
http://www.club203.com/images/car_stuff/mercedes/c43/C43_Carlsson_Brabus_002_w.jpg
http://www.club203.com/images/car_stuff/mercedes/c43/C43_Carlsson_Brabus_003_w.jpg

moebiusgold
12-24-2003, 07:37 AM
KWik's ride looks great. I'm wondering how it would look with shinny black wheels;) The total balckout affect.

KWiK
12-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
KWik's ride looks great. I'm wondering how it would look with shinny black wheels;) The total balckout affect.
It wouldn't look nearly as good...:silly:

Luwin1026
12-25-2003, 04:10 PM
215/40 front

and 265/35 18 rear.....pirelli p7000

Wow - that's a big difference in staggering application for a 202 - Usually on the 18s, I see 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear to preserve aspect ratio of rolling diameter.

The statement of 18s is not as good as 19s is a little bit too general - it all depends on taste, as well as the wheel style/brand/application. I personally love the look of 19s - 18s are great, but I wanted to take the envelope a little farther with the 19s on my 202 - they do require some fenderwork, and I didn't notice too big of a performance difference with my BBS CH's - probably because they are lightweight and strong.