PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement help needed

Corey
12-27-2003, 03:22 PM
My radiator on my 94 C280 went out today. I noticed that coolant was leaking over the last day or so and this afternoon, while passing this minivan that was trying to make an illegal left turn, steam started to pour out from under the hood. I pulled over quickly and popped the hood. The upper radiator hose was completely disconnected - the plastic mounting ring had broken off. This reminded me of the same problem I had with my old 190e.

Anyway, now my car is out of commission - I had it towed back to my parking space. Does anyone know the procedure for replacing the radiator? A new one cost $245 shipped at the benzbin and can be here the next day. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks for the help!

pnsji
12-27-2003, 03:25 PM
when you replace the radiator. it is a good idea to replace the hoses as well. You probably want to get all new "O" rings as well.

Make sure you check around the water pump area for any leaks.

CKlasse
12-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Radiator swap is a pretty straight forward procedure :) Try radiator.com too!

LV202
01-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Don't forget to "burp" the system. Might as well change the thermostat too.:cool:

AUS-C36
01-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Make sure you get a quality radiator made by BEHR and not the cheaper alternatives as they are false economies.

While you are at it get your cooling system pressure tested and inspect for leaks and deteriorated hoses.

max2105
02-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Also be very careful when disconnecting/connecting transmission coolant lines. Do NOT bend them.
I got a Danish radiator (NISSENS) with a lifetime warranty.