PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Help

Andrew C280
12-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi I have found a shifter to replace my worn one, buy I have a sport model car and the shifter does not have sport on it. Is there any way to switch the existing shifter logo to the replacement, its the logo under the glass can this be done or is it easier to just replace with out tring to modify the one I have found it just has the mercedes star under the glass, i would like the sport logo but i can live with it because the price is right

vas2vas
12-29-2003, 07:04 PM
the emblem is just glued on, heat it up with a hair dryer and lift it off with a screwdiver, clean surfaces and glue it on to the new shifter... or you can just get a shiny new one from the dealer, either way it shouldn't take more than a few minutes...

Andrew C280
12-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Really its that simple what do they use Hot melt glue. Is the logo under glass or embeded into it ?

How do I remove the shifter from the shaft ?

nudymeyer6
12-29-2003, 08:55 PM
use the search function and i am sure you will come up with something. i swear we have discussed this before. a-searching-i-will-go!:D ;)

nudymeyer6
12-29-2003, 09:02 PM
first you go to www.CLUB202.COM , then you put "shifter" in the search bar, and you will come up with this, http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=24128&sortby=&sortorder= , then you click on the one that says shift knob removel and you get this, http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=865&highlight=shifter , use the search function and you will find what you are looking for a lot quicker.;)

Andrew C280
12-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks this forum is much more help full than previous one I have joined you guy/girls seem to know much more about mods and things

nudymeyer6
12-30-2003, 08:45 AM
no problem.:cool: JUST USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION NEXT TIME THOUGH!:D ;)

Andrew C280
01-09-2004, 06:39 AM
ok my shifter will arrive in the mail soon I phoned mercedes benz to get the proper sport logo for my car they said it is not possible to order that part, some one here said they can?

Any ways I have the proper sport logo on the one I have now other than it has a nice scratch in the platic lens, is there any way to remove the scratch. I don't know clear coat it or something ??? sanding bufffing ???

pnsji
01-09-2004, 09:26 AM
just get a new one if yours is scratched.

Andrew C280
01-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I did by a new one it cost me 12.00 its bran new real mercedes, i figured i should take avantage of the opertunity, but it has the incorrect logo for my car, i was told i could use a hairdryer and heat up the sport knob which i have it my car now and place it on the new knob which is a non sport one, the only problem is that the logo part has a small scratch, which i would like to remove if not i will just have a regular shift knob since the price was right

I was told by someone on this forum that you could by a new logo for the shifter, I have even seen some rentech, phone the dealer and they said no.

pnsji
01-09-2004, 09:51 AM
The aftermarket shift knob insert are available in Japan and NOT in USA
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/japanMB/shiftknobinsert.jpeg

Actually, I believe you could order the shift knob insert. I order a C36 one, but the C36 is not available. Instead, I got the sport one. If you go to your dealership, and ask them, they should be able to help you out.

Andrew C280
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
nice thats what i am looking for my dealer are assholes and dont help out with anything thats why i have boycotted them. where can i get that nice
AMG style one

i will post some pics of the shifter knobs i have so when i get the other one early next week

Andrew C280
01-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I have swaped out my old warn shifter for a nice new one that I got for 12 dollars oh boy was that a deal I saved meself over 175 dollars, I also figured out how to get the scratches out of my shifter logo so I swiched that over, I have a nice new sport shifter.

Ok if you have any scratches in clear plastic you need to go out and get some meguiers waxing products, i used a terry towel and then when to a random orbital polisher,

I used meguiers wax cleaner, then #1 paint cleaner, then #2 polish, followed up with #3 Wax it took me about 10 repetions to remove a very deap but thin gash in my shifter logo. It looks better than when it was done from the factory, and it did not fill in the scratch it removed it.

and plus you get to feel good about saving a part from the trash.

anyone have any tips about fixing the "leather" on the shift knob maybe i can save another part from the garbage