PDA

View Full Version : What kind of jack is everyone here using?

randy@5280wheel
12-30-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm assuming that most enthusiasts here are using a good floor jack to lift their vehicles for wheel swaps or suspension work? I'm just now getting around to checking out some of the stuff in my car, and had a look in the trunk- First thing I noticed was the OEM jack, which upon further inspection looks a bit unsafe. Looking around a bit at the car's jack points, I noticed a small, round indentation on the driver's side door panel directly in line with the jack point. After placing the jack on the floor and positioning it as if I were jacking the car up, it appears that the little soft plastic nubby on the jack comes right into contact with said dent. Not a huge deal as it can be pressed out easily, but it's a bit concerning that MB would include a jack of this sort OEM with their vehicles?

I have a floor jack I can use- Just wondering if that's safe to use with the stock jack points, as just eye balling the position, it appears that the lift arm/tray could come into contact with the underside of the side skirt.

Much to my chagrin, this car came without an owner's manual, so I may have some rather elementary questions for you guys (sorry). I tried searching archives, but to no avail.

Anyhow... Any advice/knowledge/expertise is appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy

moebiusgold
12-30-2003, 09:21 AM
I made custom ramps. If I have to take off Wheels, Etc. off, I then carefully jack up the rest of the way with a floor jack and a piece of 2X4 , so as not to damage the cross member or dif. I couldn't even start to get my low profile floor jack under a couple of my cars without doing this.;) Buy a owners manual off of EBay. I see them all the time.

randy@5280wheel
12-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
I made custom ramps. If I have to take off Wheels, Etc. off, I then carefully jack up the rest of the way with a floor jack and a piece of 2X4 , so as not to damage the cross member or dif. I couldn't even start to get my low profile floor jack under a couple of my cars without doing this.;) Buy a owners manual off of EBay. I see them all the time.

=) Thanks moebius! I just had a look on eBay, and low and behold... An owner's manual for $16.00! So... I just picked it up. That should definitely come in handy!

Cheers,

Randy

Denlasoul
12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
I cannot even get my floor jack under my car. I have to use the factory jack to lift my car up, then I slide in my floor jack. The stock jack is actually pretty cool, nice little thing to have in my opinion.

jnolte
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I cannot even get my floor jack under my car. I have to use the factory jack to lift my car up, then I slide in my floor jack. The stock jack is actually pretty cool, nice little thing to have in my opinion.

The stock jack idea is cool, but i find it scary, sometimes it seems to shift on you and it looks like its gunna fly up.

But me i use a floor jack, but for my lowred C36 i had to use the stock jack then transfer to safer floor jack and wood blocks.

I need to buy some ramps but not sure how good they will work once car is lowred

moebiusgold
12-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Thats why I made my ramps from scrap 2X6 and 2X12 wood. Nothing fancy, just some nails and stacked them on top of each other, 2" in 16" to 18" seemed to work fine. I'd trash the BC if I tried to use the ones from auto stores.:D

714guy
12-30-2003, 11:54 AM
i use a regular floor jack i got from Harbor friegth tools, its 3 ton jack and was only 40 bucks. i can get it under my car without a problem and jack it up on those rubber things.

J Irwan
12-30-2003, 12:44 PM
I have been using the generic 3 ton floor jack just like eveyone else...

then again I would have to use OEM jack initially so that I can slide these jack under the car..

However some place like UltimatGarage sells aluminum , flat (really low profile) floor jack. From the looks of it, it is strong and lightweight.
which is also great for autocrossing and driving school (changing pad, wheel etc..)

I always wanted to buy these floor-jack but it not cheap.

Btw If I am not mistaken Kinesis Wheels also sells similar floor-jack.

Regardz,

randy@5280wheel
12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan

You sir, are correct. Kinesis does indeed sell a Motorsport grade low profile jack. It's quite nice, but also quite $$!

=)

omegabenz
12-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Mercedes cars now come with a set of 2 wheel chocks to prevent the mercedes jack from rotating around, which has happened to me, it almost smashed me. Try la(nospam)mat@uci.edu just remove the no spam part his name is aaron, he sells them on the side while in college. I bought four of them from him. Pretty reasonable price, he determines the price not me, so just send him an email.

Getting some nice ramps to get the car up a little is a good idea, then jack it up. Thats the safest idea. Then get some nice snap on jack stands, they have a flat part on the top so they go under the frame rails quite handomely or those little rubber pads.

I have to sometimes put a car up on ramps, then lift it up with a car hoist, that is what I usually use. Sometimes I have to lift the fenders while someone sets the jack pad. Some cars are more involved than others.

Just be safe out there. With things like jacks and jack stands, buy very high quality ones, its not worth the car landing on you while you are along and not being able to get out.

sph17
12-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Bought a Pensky 2 1/2 ton floor jack with two jack stands at K-Mart for $20 on sale, a few months before they went bankrupt. Previously bought the same floor jack alone for $15, so I have two.

714guy
12-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan

However some place like UltimatGarage sells aluminum , flat (really low profile) floor jack. From the looks of it, it is strong and lightweight.
which is also great for autocrossing and driving school (changing pad, wheel etc..)

I always wanted to buy these floor-jack but it not cheap.

Regardz,

Find a Harbor Freight Tool locally or buy it online, they sell the aluminum jack race jack style for only 139 or 159 i forget, only 6 pumps to full height and they offer a lifetime warranty which they are really easy with.