PDA

View Full Version : removing mirrors...help

joesc280
12-30-2003, 10:48 PM
i have some blink blink mirrors that i'm trying to install but am clueless as to how to remove the old mirrors....i didn't want to f anything up.....when i bend the mirror i see some type of harness, a spring and 3 phillips screws....any help would be appreciated....cause i can't see how the new covers install it has no screws or anything...?

1SIKBNZ
12-30-2003, 11:00 PM
hey joe fro your sake i hope u did a search first....i know there are some threads on that subject, they are ruthless on this board and will rip u a new one if u dont search first...fyi...;)

joesc280
12-30-2003, 11:28 PM
on this one and mbworld...under "mirror removal"....no luck...not for the 202 anyway....i had this blink blink mirrors for months and i just got them painted and i'm anxious to install them...but dont' want to f anything up...

jnolte
12-31-2003, 12:41 AM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59

try this, i am not sure if it will answer ur question but worth a shot

1SIKBNZ
12-31-2003, 01:42 AM
i have them to, they are great fun to installlemme tell ya lol...! where u live at maybe i can help u if ur in the bay area? what year is ur ride?

J Irwan
12-31-2003, 07:54 AM
try keyword search "blinking mirror" ;)

the topic may not be how to remove the mirror but how to install blinking mirror :)

Regardz,

joesc280
12-31-2003, 11:00 PM
and just for information sake for anyone who may need to know this...the blinking mirror link has nothing noted on how to remove the mirror covers....if i knew how to post pics i would but this is what i found out after about 3 hours of loosing my mind....

first you need to bend the mirror covers all the way to the rear exposing the guts

there will be 3 screws there that you need to remove, it will require a standard phillips screwdriver, they are configured in a triangle pattern and you need to remove the top one last to because it is the easiest to get to...once you do this watch out because the mirror will snap back because of the spring.....

unplug the wiring harness and the mirror should come off at this point...

next this is the hardest part, inside there is a shiney aluminum looking v shaped thing, and you must somehow slide this up to release the tension...this is what holds the covers on....if you disassemble you will see what i mean...after that pull the covers towards you and it should slide right off......

put the mirrors on without the covers installed because it will be nearly impossible to hold it the spring back and screw it in without it mounted.....so to make a long story short install the new covers last after you have screwed everything in...cause they are a beotch to take back off as per the aformentioned process....have fun....and be safe as in doing this i injured myself when the mirror snapped back and flung a screwdriver at me...lol...but i consider it a sacrifice to the car, it was me giving blood...lol.....

also on a sidenote...almost everyone on this forum has blink blink mirrors and it seems odd to me that no one could provide me with any help in doing this....some of the people on this board have even changed them more than once to upgrade to folding mirrors...it just seems suspicious...

J Irwan
12-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by joesc280
and just for information sake for anyone who may need to know this...the blinking mirror link has nothing noted on how to remove the mirror covers....if i knew how to post pics i would but this is what i found out after about 3 hours of loosing my mind....

first you need to bend the mirror covers all the way to the rear exposing the guts

there will be 3 screws there that you need to remove, it will require a standard phillips screwdriver, they are configured in a triangle pattern and you need to remove the top one last to because it is the easiest to get to...once you do this watch out because the mirror will snap back because of the spring.....

unplug the wiring harness and the mirror should come off at this point...

next this is the hardest part, inside there is a shiney aluminum looking v shaped thing, and you must somehow slide this up to release the tension...this is what holds the covers on....if you disassemble you will see what i mean...after that pull the covers towards you and it should slide right off......

put the mirrors on without the covers installed because it will be nearly impossible to hold it the spring back and screw it in without it mounted.....so to make a long story short install the new covers last after you have screwed everything in...cause they are a beotch to take back off as per the aformentioned process....have fun....and be safe as in doing this i injured myself when the mirror snapped back and flung a screwdriver at me...lol...but i consider it a sacrifice to the car, it was me giving blood...lol.....

also on a sidenote...almost everyone on this forum has blink blink mirrors and it seems odd to me that no one could provide me with any help in doing this....some of the people on this board have even changed them more than once to upgrade to folding mirrors...it just seems suspicious...

Actually the best way to remove the side mirror is to remove the mirror cover first then unscrew those 3 screw.

Taking off the mirror cover is a lot easier when the mirror is on the car.. (I know this because I've done it before)..

Also if you need to change your mirror glass, or mirrro motor, all you need is taking off the mirror cover and voila, you will access to them..

I will post the pic while the mirror still mounted on the car with the cover off...
so that everyone knows what's its look like without the cover... ;)

Regardz,

joesc280
01-01-2004, 08:52 AM
that's including myself..lol....i think this should be a featured article...