12-31-2003, 02:18 PM
What kind of air filter should I buy ?

K & N Proformance
Kool Blue
ITG

or any other suggestions ?

ryhi
12-31-2003, 02:22 PM
is there any air filters that WONT kill my MAF Sensor??

Andrew C280
12-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
is there any air filters that WONT kill my MAF Sensor??

Kill your mass air flow

there just faulty on all cars i guess

marksbenz
01-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Stick with stock Benz or Mann air filter....

Andrew C280
01-01-2004, 06:43 AM
are any of those high flow or proformance

marksbenz
01-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Those are just regular filters. Alot of people had problems with K&N filters. Just stick with regular filter.

Andrew C280
01-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by marksbenz
Those are just regular filters. Alot of people had problems with K&N filters. Just stick with regular filter.

What about ITG filters there oilless ?

http://www.itgfilters.com/

moebiusgold
01-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
What about ITG filters there oilless ?

http://www.itgfilters.com/
I couldn't find much information about the product on that website. My first impression is that these are just foam air filters. I could be wrong but my if the foam is porous enough to let more air by that it will also let dirt by because it is not oiled. When I bought my 99 the MAF was killed because the previous owner never cleaned the K&N and it was so dirty that dirt got by it and coated the MAF with a fine dust. Cleaning it did not help much.:mad: You can get an oiled filter, just be real careful on how much oil you use mand keep it clean. Just be preparded to by a New MAF sooner than later.:(

Andrew C280
01-01-2004, 08:44 AM
well I just replaced my mass air flow sensor and it has the stock air filter in it, it really makes that much dammage to the sensor.

what options do i have to increase the air flow to my engine

J Irwan
01-01-2004, 09:06 AM
ITG foam filter also utilize oil to trap dirt.

no matter which brand you choose, make sure it is not over-oiled.

I have not heard any problem with ITG filter, however K&N has known to cause premature MAF oil due to its excessive oil..

If you have aftermarket filter (I think all of them utilize oil to trap dirt, I have not seen one without oil )make sure the oil coating is thin/light..

And If I were you, I'd wash it often say every 15K.
That way it minimize dirt trap and you dont have to use much oil..for that..

Regardz,

moebiusgold
01-01-2004, 09:14 AM
You could modify the inlet to the stock box so that it had a larger inlet that went down through the Y in the frame to behind the lower bumper cover fog light area. A lot of folks put their cone filters there. Look at the pics of my 43. Where's the airfilter? Behind the driver's left foglight. :eek: Not trying to turn you away from HP filters, just trying to warn you that the kind of
MAF that these MB use seem to be very sensitive to any kind of contamination. :rolleyes: Happy new year and happy motoring.:D

Roger
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
I have used K&N filters in street applications and track events. In both instances they kill MAFS units. Even when I blot them with paper to remove any excess oil. On a dyno the difference between a clean factory filter and a drop in K &N was 1.5 HP. Not worth the cost of a MAFS. I have not had a problem with factory drop in filters, I change them every 2,500 miles and vacume and wipe the air box. I still use the K&N at track events but change the MAS to a damaged one. This is not a problem in the short term as the damaged sensor runs richer. However, you get a check engine light when it is in use. In the short run this is acceptable but not in the long run.

I am not familiar with the C280 grill but we gained 4.5 horsepower in the C230 kompressor by modifying the grill block at the intake location. This block(louvers are solid at this location) is designed to prevent excessive water from finding its way into the air filter box. We do not run the modified grill when it is wet or threatening rain.

Andrew C280
01-12-2004, 04:51 PM
hello roger have you tried igt filters ?