PDA

View Full Version : W201: Would like to lower my idle speed?

Scotty-C190E
01-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Hello,
To make a long story short-
Back in Oklahoma my idle was raised "in order to make my standard transsmision easier to drive." It sits at about 1500 when warm. I would like the idle to be around 900. People have already tried to adjust this from my air fuel mixture but been unsuccessful. I think the problem lies in the gas pedal tension, because after my idle was raised, I felt much more play in my gas pedal before my car would actually react. Can you help me out? Thanks

P.S. I passed the smog, but it was close. The technician said it would help if my idle was lower.

JRE320
01-02-2004, 11:09 AM
It's the air mixture that they played around. You need a special
tool to adjust it. It's a long ice pick type of tool that they use.
If you got a mechanic then he should know what it called.
;)

Scotty-C190E
01-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, I took it to topline and they tried to do what you said to lower the idle but they were unsuccessful. Is this the only way? I think the pedal has been messed with to get the throttle open somewhat...creating the higher idle.

Edit: I got this reply at 190Rev. It sounds like the problem. Can anyone confirm this?
Scotty, check the throttle linkage on the driver's side of the car, under the air cleaner. There is an adjustment on the cable to make sure it goes throught the full range of the throttle. There should be a switch toward the front of the car, directly inline with the throttle linkages. This is the idle switch, make sure its being engaged. If the throttle linkage is resting on the switch, i'd check the function of the switch, wiring, and then past that, there is a screw on the idle air valve that changes the amount of air let in at idle, and thus idle speed.

JRE320
01-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Ummmmm.... Topline can't adjust your idle? then Zim should know that switch and check it out. As far as my 2.3 16V is that's the only place that you could adjust it. I got the same problem like you. High idle when I'm getting my smog. Then he adjusted the air flow lower the idle and whala!! passed the smog and then returned the idle to it's normal stage. ;)

nudymeyer6
01-02-2004, 03:36 PM
you guys would not happen to have any pics of your sweet w201 rides would you? the thing that i love about the w201 is that i could get one for cheaper, i can get it in a manual tranny, and since they are cheaper i have more money to spend fixing it up.

Scotty-C190E
01-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Want mine? 5-speed baby! ;)
http://www.scotty-c.com

Scotty-C190E
01-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
Ummmmm.... Topline can't adjust your idle?

Well, I didn't have an appointment, so he had a monkey mess around with it by messing with the air flow thing. He said he couldn't get it done from there. At that time I set up a real appointment on the 6th for them to really find the problem. Right now I am trying to fix it myself to save time and money. ;)

marksbenz
01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Yo Scotty... What happend the first time your car didnt pass the smog? Do you fix anything? I hope you get your idle fix.

Mark

Scotty-C190E
01-04-2004, 02:55 PM
I put it in 3rd gear. It's a standard tranny.

Scotty-C190E
01-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Success! The problem was easily solved. I had to push down on the valve and then turn the allen wrench right to lower the idle. Before I was just turning with out applying pressure. I was also able to resolve my gas pedal excess play by adjusting the throttle cable.
I should also add that it's easier to adjust the valve with the airbox off even though there is a hole ontop of the airbox. (My allen wrench wasn't long enough to press down with it on)

Idle sits at about 1000 without any lights or accessories on.

JRE320
01-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Great Scotty!! Glad to hear that your baby is in good condition. ;)