PDA

View Full Version : I left the lights on again, note to self you cant get in the car with out the battery

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 01:18 PM
You going to laugh at me after reading this;

I am in canada and the running lights automatically turn on when i put the car in drive

My question is on all my other cars the lights can be set on so they come on when it gets dark, dose my car have this and i am just an idiot,

Reason being i have left the lights on twice now and came out to a dead battery its not so fun when its minus 20 and you have to crawl through you trunk of the car infront of all your business student friends

I know there are kits for bmw's to allow auto full lights when it get darks

HELP ????

pnsji
01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
1. you cannot take out the key when the gear is on D
2. When you want to take out the key and the light is on, there will be annoying sound to remind you.

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 02:15 PM
yah but when your in a rush you dont hear the anoying sound, so i guess it dose not have automatic lights ?

merc_lover
01-06-2004, 02:29 PM
nope.... w202s dont have no LDRs that make the lights turn on or off..nor any other 21st century sh** in them... ;)

edit: sh** here means commodities

Renn 208
01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
wait...so why weren't you able to use the key to open the doors?

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 03:10 PM
My car has a garage door opener and some other things that just started to appear on my maxima and jeep in early 2001

like i said it was minus 20 really cold out but the key would not turn in the passanger door, I just happend to leave the trunk unlock I think I dont know maybe the door was iced

J Irwan
01-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
1. you cannot take out the key when the gear is on D
2. When you want to take out the key and the light is on, there will be annoying sound to remind you.

Exactly

and since your car is 1997 C280, you will NOT ABLE to pull the key from the ignition if your gear selector not in P

DRL does not requires you to switch on the headlight, rather than the headlight will come on automatically as soon as you depress the brake pedal and move the gear level away from the P

so that's why I am a little confused how the DRL stay on unless you turned the healight switched on ;)

Regardz,

kameraguy
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Man...the Irwans are like crime investigators! Those be some solid facts! :p

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 05:03 PM
exactly I left the head lights on , the switch was on, on the dashboard is there an auto setting ?

on my other cars you set it to auto and the lights come on and turn of when it gets light and dark out automatically then you dont have to switch the lights on or off they are automatic on my other cars

J Irwan
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
exactly I left the head lights on , the switch was on, on the dashboard is there an auto setting ?

on my other cars you set it to auto and the lights come on and turn of when it gets light and dark out automatically then you dont have to switch the lights on or off they are automatic on my other cars

okay

if you have to manual switch on and off on your car that means you car DOES NOT have DRL system in place.

if you have DRL system in place, the light will be switched on automatically as soon as you start the car AND depress the brake pedal AND move the gear lever away from P...
and the light will be automically swithed off as soon as you put the gear lever in P

Although some manual car has the light trigger switch on e-brake (when the ebrake is engaged the light is off, when ebrake is disengaged the light is on)..

If you do a search there is another member on this forum that is trying to put DRL relay on his car..

hopefully that can help you.

otherwise since it is law to have headlight on in Canada on daylight, you just have to make it a habit to always switch on as soon as you get in the car, and always switch off before opening the door.. (the same habit, when you drive manual car, to always engaged the parking brake no matter where you park -even when parking on flat surface) ;)

Regardz,

sph17
01-06-2004, 06:00 PM
My understanding of DRL is that only the headlights come on (not the tail lights) and that they usually run at 50% brightness. Their only legitamate use is for use during the daytime (unless you are a DNR officer and you want to try to sheek up on some poachers late at night and don't want bright headlifghts and your tail lights to give you away).

If it is nightime, you will still need to turn your headlights on for your tailingts to come on (so you don't get hit from behind) and so that your head lights run at 100% (so you don't hit something in front of you).

If you have turned on your headlights via the amazing MB headlight/parking lights/left or right corner lights for parking on darks streets in Europe/foglight/rear-foglight switch, and you jump out quickly, without realizing the realy annoying headlight relay switch is making it's realy anoying noise, then if you come back to your car, hours later in -20C weather, then you have a bad night.

What am I missing?

jnolte
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey this is not related but does any one know how to make the Parking corner lights not shine when the headlights are on? I think J Irwan did this?

You know, when you turn on your headlights the Corner lights turn on too, is there a way to have the headlights on and the corner lights not on, only when u hit the blinker?

thanks

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sph17
My understanding of DRL is that only the headlights come on (not the tail lights) and that they usually run at 50% brightness. Their only legitamate use is for use during the daytime (unless you are a DNR officer and you want to try to sheek up on some poachers late at night and don't want bright headlifghts and your tail lights to give you away).

If it is nightime, you will still need to turn your headlights on for your tailingts to come on (so you don't get hit from behind) and so that your head lights run at 100% (so you don't hit something in front of you).

If you have turned on your headlights via the amazing MB headlight/parking lights/left or right corner lights for parking on darks streets in Europe/foglight/rear-foglight switch, and you jump out quickly, without realizing the realy annoying headlight relay switch is making it's realy anoying noise, then if you come back to your car, hours later in -20C weather, then you have a bad night.

What am I missing?

I understand what you saying fully, I know my car has that DLR switch, because when you dont use the dash switch the light come on but as you said it only turn on 50% of the lights, then you need to turn on the additonal lights and because of the blowing snow I activated my fog lights and everthing for beter visibility, yah its good and great but if you leave the car with the switch on the battery is going to drain it took 1 hour for it to drain totally

you think with all the engineering that goes into these cars they could have an auto setting or a thing that says after the key has been out for 15 min it shuts off all lights, the other thing that is weird about these cars is that you can use the radio even when there are no keys in the car all it has to do is be unlocked
anyone else see this ?

At least one person see my problem I hear you man, maybe you could help me explain this, maybe i am not getting the message through

Andrew C280
01-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey maybe they could make the beeper louder, or a sexy ladies voice to get my attention !

sph17
01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
I understand what you saying fully, I know my car has that DLR switch, because when you dont use the dash switch the light come on but as you said it only turn on 50% of the lights,...

you think with all the engineering that goes into these cars they could have an auto setting or a thing that says after the key has been out for 15 min it shuts off all lights, the other thing that is weird about these cars is that you can use the radio even when there are no keys in the car all it has to do is be unlocked
anyone else see this ?

At least one person see my problem I hear you man, maybe you could help me explain this, maybe i am not getting the message through
Well the new and improved W203 has an Automatic position on the amazing all purpose MB Headlight Switch. You just leave the switch in the Automatic position and the car decides if you need to have your headlights turned off and on for you. The car even turn your lights off for you when you turn off the car if it is in the Automatic position.

You also get Electric Window Switches that look like they came out of a Jetta and a steel wheel with your spare tire.

J Irwan
01-06-2004, 07:17 PM
AndrewC280

I though you mentioned that you don't have automatic switch

hence you have to manually switch on and off..???

what sph17 was talking about is the actual DRL at work, like I said when you have the system inplace on your car, there would be addiitional setting on the light switch you can select.
Therefore the light will be automatically switch on and off.

Am I missing something here..??

Regardz,

vas2vas
01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
the other thing that is weird about these cars is that you can use the radio even when there are no keys in the car all it has to do is be unlocked
anyone else see this ?

yeah it's a feature of all contemporary m/b factory radios, and becker radios in general, also some blaupunkt units... personally I like this very much... also radio turns itself off after 1hr if the key is not in ignition....

moebiusgold
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
The radio and the REST function of the AC don't need a key. I use the rest function on road trips a lot. BTW, it is mentioned in the manual. There is actually some good info hiding in it.

Andrew C280
01-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Yes I have the switch on the shifter, what is the setting for automatic lights or go i need to do some modifcations ?

I think the residual engine heat is awesome first car i know that has that.

nokia8860
01-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Andrew is talking about auto on lights available on other cars. Where you set it to auto and when the sensor on the dash figures out its dark out it turns on the lights, at full power, automatically. It is not to be confused with DRL.

The 202 as you discovered does not have this function. I am not aware of any kit that you can install to have this feature. You can if you wish re wire your main headlights to be only on when there is actual power to the car so that even if you forget to turn off your lights when you shut of your car your main headlights will shut off and your parking lights will remain on, ala VW. All it will take is a multimeter, more wires and a crude understanding on 202 headlight wires.

Best of luck and next time look back at your car before you leave it to make sure you turn off your headlights :)

Brabus
01-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
wait...so why weren't you able to use the key to open the doors?

When the battery is dead, nothing to power the vaccum...

sph17
01-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
When the battery is dead, nothing to power the vaccum... I know my W123 door locks runs off vacuum and have a vacuum canister in the trunk. My doors will still open with a dead battery, but not if you used up the vacuum by opening them 4-5 times.

I was under the impression the W202 door locks were electric, and with a dead battery, would not run. Am I mistaken?

BoominVolvo
01-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Isn't there a mechanical linkage in the driver's door lock so you can get inside if the battery is dead?

J Irwan
01-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
When the battery is dead, nothing to power the vaccum...

even with no battery attach to the car

you should be able to use the key to manually to open the door

I know so, I've done it :p

Regardz,

kameraguy
01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BoominVolvo
Isn't there a mechanical linkage in the driver's door lock so you can get inside if the battery is dead?

If it's a 97, the driver's door only has IR, no mechanical lock. But the front passenger and trunk still have mechanical locks. Those will always allow you access with the key....

But Andrew said he couldn't get in that way as the locks were frozen.....stupid cold weather...d'oh!!

I would definitely suggest one of those lock de-icers for your keychain. It would definitely save you from not being able to open a lock due to ice. That way you won't have to crawl in through a trunk which was fortunately left unlocked....which is wierd because isn't it part of the central locking? I would think it should have been locked too. But anyway, good thing you also had the rear seats unlocked to get into the cabin!!! Overall you lucked out big time!

kameraguy
01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
AndrewC280

I though you mentioned that you don't have automatic switch

hence you have to manually switch on and off..???

......when you have the system inplace on your car, there would be addiitional setting on the light switch you can select.
Therefore the light will be automatically switch on and off.

I'm confused as heck now. I think what we need is a photo of this switch, and to have Andrew confirm this is exactly what he has. Better yet, Andrew shoudl take a photo of his light switch. That would help confirm or deny he in deed has DRL. And if so, maybe it really isn't working correctly?!! or if he doesn't then i guess case solved? :confused:

sph17
01-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kameraguy
That way you won't have to crawl in through a trunk which was fortunately left unlocked....which is wierd because isn't it part of the central locking? I would think it should have been locked too. But anyway, good thing you also had the rear seats unlocked to get into the cabin!!! Overall you lucked out big time!

Maby the trunk lock wasn't frozen so he could unlock it? If the whole car was centrally locked, the trunk should have been locked also.

I agree that Andrew should post a Pix. I want to see what he has North of the border. Maby MB shortchanged us down here by not giving us DRLs.

nokia8860
01-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sph17
Maby MB shortchanged us down here by not giving us DRLs.

I for one am glad they shortchange me on this one. :)

Renn 208
01-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
I for one am glad they shortchange me on this one. :) :werd:

Andrew C280
01-07-2004, 02:24 PM
here is a picture it was minus 10 out and I ran out to my car and took a quick picture its a little blurry since i was in a t shirt.

yah it was minus 10 in my garage,

http://www.benzforum.com/forum/download.php?id=268

sph17
01-07-2004, 05:30 PM
here is a picture it was minus 10 out and I ran out to my car and took a quick picture its a little blurry since i was in a t shirt. an i have a very good olympus digital i have to dial the resolution way down to host pictures on benzforum.com

yah it was minus 10 in my garage,

http://www.benzforum.com/forum/download.php?id=268 Now -10F (-23.3C) is cold, and I would realy feel for you but if it was only -10C (14F) then I wouldn't feel so bad a I often run out to get the paper, or take the gargage out, or even go get wood for the wood stove in short sleeves if it is a balmy 14F.

I don't think your Pix made it onto your last post. It is 22F (-5.5C) here in southern NY tonight. Suppose to go down to 5F (-15C) or so. Wonder if I will have to plug in my 300D to get it started in the morning. Glad I have an inline fuel heater on it also.

unsp0ken
04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Hey this is not related but does any one know how to make the Parking corner lights not shine when the headlights are on? I think J Irwan did this?

You know, when you turn on your headlights the Corner lights turn on too, is there a way to have the headlights on and the corner lights not on, only when u hit the blinker?

thanks

I'd like to know how to do that too :Ponder:

Brabus
04-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by unsp0ken
I'd like to know how to do that too :Ponder:

You have to rewire those corner lights to behave like that. Nokia did mine...