PDA

View Full Version : All Black Front Grill

kye420
01-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I am new to this so please bare with me....i own a 1999 BLACK c230 komp (non sport) =( and was wondering if anybody knew anything about changing all the chrome to black. (color matching) ...I have a chrome grill and chrome surroundings surrounding the car. I want my car to be all black including the grill and the side moldings. Does anybody know how i can go about doing this? i went to a paintshop and they said its literally impossible to paint over chrome. But ive seen many mbz's with black grills and black moldings...does anybody know how they do this?

ricerokets4life
01-07-2004, 12:32 PM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

jnolte
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Please do a for this topic has been brought up many times http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?

Okay to paint the Grille u need to Sand down all Chrome! Then primer then paint. You can do it yourself or have a body shop do it.

For the Chrome trim you can take it off sand it down and have a body shop paint it. OR you can buy sport trim from the dealership.

BenzMeister
01-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by kye420
I am new to this so please bare with me....i own a 1999 BLACK c230 komp (non sport) =( and was wondering if anybody knew anything about changing all the chrome to black. (color matching) ...I have a chrome grill and chrome surroundings surrounding the car. I want my car to be all black including the grill and the side moldings. Does anybody know how i can go about doing this? i went to a paintshop and they said its literally impossible to paint over chrome. But ive seen many mbz's with black grills and black moldings...does anybody know how they do this?

I actually did what you are asking to the grille on my C280, You do need to sand down the chrome, very lightly I used 1200 grit sandpaper. I got some black spray paint and clear coat spray at the local auto shop, I did 4 coats of black and 5 of clear, if you don't use the clearcoat you will get chips from the road. I haven't put it on the car yet, but I had my son hold it up against the car and it looked OK. I am going to leave the chrome the rest of the chrome alone as my car is brilliant silver and too much black won't look good. I also bought the center vertical chrome strip for the grille and I took off the black one and replaced it with the chrome one, looks OK that way too. One other item I painted black is the grilles for the defroster at at the bottom of the windshield, same deal sanded 4 coats or black and 5 clearcoat, they came out good. These grilles pop out easily so no taping involved.

KenzBenz
01-20-2004, 06:30 PM
did the black paint bubble up or get wrinkley when you put on the clearcoat? becuase mine was all good until i put on the clearcoat, now its all messed up.

jnolte
01-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by KenzBenz
did the black paint bubble up or get wrinkley when you put on the clearcoat? becuase mine was all good until i put on the clearcoat, now its all messed up.

Did the clear coat bubble or did the paint? I think u need to resand and do over... what brand clear coat? I used Mirage step 3 clear coat.

KenzBenz
01-21-2004, 08:55 PM
the clearcoat bubbled..:( yea i have to redo the whole thing

FreeStyler
03-12-2004, 07:09 AM
HOw much would a paint shop charge me?

(Knowing that I will fissuck it up if I do it myself.):tired:

BenzMeister
03-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Did the clear coat bubble or did the paint? I think u need to resand and do over... what brand clear coat? I used Mirage step 3 clear coat.

I am thinking about putting the vertical center chrome piece back on. I took the all black off and put on the vertical chrome piece, looks good off the car, but it has been too cold to put the grille back on. You need to get plastic paint, and clean the grille very well and make sure it is dry, I used a semi gloss 4 coats and then 6 coats of clear coat. I had it on the car for 4 months and not a mark or bubble. by the way I have a spare grille on until I can the all black back on.My car is siler, so I also painted the vents at the bottom of the windshield, as they are a dark gray as was the grille. I also used the plastic paint and clear coat. Do lightly sand the horizontal chrome lightly with 1200 sand paper and the vertical if you plan to paint it.

Jo'sC36
03-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Another way, actually better way you can blacken your grill is "black chroming" 'em, of course it cost more $$ but in the long run its worth it (no chip or peel).

I know black chrome trimmings are optional for GS400 and LX470. Next time you see a Lex, checkout their emblems.

Anyway, if interested, let me know...

-jo

Brabus
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
HOw much would a paint shop charge me?

(Knowing that I will fissuck it up if I do it myself.):tired:

200-250

BenzMeister
03-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Jo'sC36
Another way, actually better way you can blacken your grill is "black chroming" 'em, of course it cost more $$ but in the long run its worth it (no chip or peel).

I know black chrome trimmings are optional for GS400 and LX470. Next time you see a Lex, checkout their emblems.

Anyway, if interested, let me know...

-jo

I had the all black grille on during the begining of winter and the Fusion paint for plastic held up very well during the first big snow storm, I took it off to put the center chrome V strip on, but I got delayed and it was too cold to reinstall, I have a STAR grille on now which everyone I meet likes and I also took off the standing hood ornament and have the flat one, to go along with the STAR grille. However the STAR grille got hit by an object one day as I was driving, the object, a stone I think, broke thd star holder, I was able to glue it back, but it is delicate, so I just waiting for the warm weather, I am also going to leave the flat hood ornament on even with the stock grille, the stand up star breaks the line of the hood compared to the flat ornament

josh k
03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Brabus
200-250

Holy crap that body shop is bendin you over. It should be NO more than 150.

MrSpace
03-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by josh k
Holy crap that body shop is bendin you over. It should be NO more than 150.

yeah even less that this

if you remove your grill, they' just sand it along with other parts, then paint it should be not a lot of $

do you think it can be sandblasted or it's too fragile

Etienne

BenzMeister
03-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Just clean it very well, perhaps a swipe with some 1500 grit sandpaper also, but to careful with sandpaper, the more you sand the more paint. Go to your local hardware store and get a can of Fusion Plastic Paint, I used black semi gloss and then to an automotive parts and get a small can of clearcoat. The best way to paint is to have the grille hanging from a wall or some structure, paint in slow passes back and forth and DON'T stop until you reach the end of each side. Also, use at least 4 coats of paint in thin layers and make sure each layer is completely dry before you put down another, do both sides of the grilles and corner, also leave the chrome strips on or the grille won't look right. As your the clear coat, again spray back and forth I used 5 coats, here again let each coat dry well. I also bought a trigger sprayer attached for the can spray, much easier to use then pushing the button. The Fusion paint has an adjustable nozzle make sure it is in the straight position. That is all there is to do it.:)

MBATF
03-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Something like this???
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/31624/WKXHBBLNFJIUWCFZCJAB-DSC00334.JPG

Its really not hard to "Do it right"
just have to make sure you take ur time to get evry step done teh right way, can't rush..take ur time

BenzMeister
03-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by MBATF
Something like this???
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/31624/WKXHBBLNFJIUWCFZCJAB-DSC00334.JPG

Its really not hard to "Do it right"
just have to make sure you take ur time to get evry step done teh right way, can't rush..take ur time

Yep, mine looks like that, and yes take your time.

Kswiss
06-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Has your guys' grill chipped yet? HOw long b4 it chipped?

BenzMeister
06-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Kswiss
Has your guys' grill chipped yet? HOw long b4 it chipped?

If you used Krylon Fusion paint for Plastics you shouldn't have any chipping problems, unless you didn't prepare the surface before painting.

C280 JR
09-09-2004, 05:00 PM
quick question: What kind of black spray should you use if you dont want your grille to be shiny black, but rather a dull black...

Elvir

714guy
09-09-2004, 06:56 PM
satin or matte finish