PDA

View Full Version : 1998 c280 stalling problem

shoebox
01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Hello,

Has anyone with a 1998 or with similar year c280 have stalling problems?

Symptoms are:

1. From a cold start, 1 to 5 minute drive, and a restart with no start. Engine cranks and that's it.

2. From a cold start, drive 1 to 5 minutes, and stop a light. Engine dies and will not start. It just cranks.

Most of the time it will restart after 5 to 10 minutes of doing nothing. And if I drive more than 10 minutes all's well.

Mechanic has replaced fuel relay twice and the fuel pumps are good. He thinks it maybe the cpu. When he checks for engine faults nothing comes up.

It seems to be fuel related.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pnsji
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
What about:
- fuel filter
- spark plug
- Mass Airflow Sensor

shoebox
01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
fuel filter and plugs have only 1500 miles on it,

mass air flow, i don't know. what goes wrong with this? dirt?

pnsji
01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
after some time, the mass air flow will fail. You have to get a new Mass air flow sensor. Usually, if the MAS fail, you should get Check Engine Light (CEL)

shoebox
01-07-2004, 01:53 PM
i get no check engine light or fault codes.

edub
01-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Shoebox...
Try to check on Crank shaft sensor.
It happened to me before..
There's No Check engine light on when It happened to me..

Cost about $280 including installation.

hope this help

pnsji
01-07-2004, 11:25 PM
If the crank shaft sensor is failing, you will most likely get CEL. Because the sensor has to locate position 1 and then check how many rotation has it been. If you actually has this problem, when you twist the key in the ignition, it will take some time for the engine to start instead of starting right away.

shoebox
01-08-2004, 03:56 PM
How about this fellas... Will the alarm or key possibly cause the car to shut down?

johnfum
01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Same exact thing happened to me. I would be driving the car, stop at a red light, car would stall. I would have to wait about 15-20 minutes before it would start again. I ended up having it towed and it was the Crankshaft sensor. Warranty covered it, since then no problems.

shoebox
01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
John,

Do you know if the car left a trouble code? This is part of my problem, my cpu gives my mechanic no trouble codes. The wiring harness, cpu, and alarm are my possibilities. If the crankshaft sensor leaves no code, I'll swap it out in a heart beat.

Thanks

edub
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by johnfum
Same exact thing happened to me. I would be driving the car, stop at a red light, car would stall. I would have to wait about 15-20 minutes before it would start again. I ended up having it towed and it was the Crankshaft sensor. Warranty covered it, since then no problems.
Yupe.. I have to wait about 15 min.. and I drove it to the dealer .. I am pretty lucky , no need to towed the car.. , It's a pain to drive it though... you have to make sure to press the gas so when you stuck in traffic light.. your car doesn't just died...
:):D my car is ok now..

johnfum
01-21-2004, 04:35 PM
It happened to me 3 (same day) times before I got it towed and after I had to push it out of the street as everyone behind me was beeping like crazy.

Shoebox,

I don't know what code it was, but I pulled out my receipt from the dealership and it stated the following:

Perfomed electrical diagnostic testing. Traced fault to crankshaft position sensor 015318737

FP Number 003-153-27-28 Description Sender Unit.

I doubt this will help, but good luck!

Thanks
John

shoebox
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, it finally spit out a code. And it was the crankshaft sensor. Thanks guys!

zzDragonzz
04-28-2006, 06:08 AM
thank you guys, this is certainly the same symptoms my car is having....Does anyone know how much the actual part cost, and how easy/hard it is to replace yourself?

any info would help, thanks

jnolte
04-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by zzDragonzz
thank you guys, this is certainly the same symptoms my car is having....Does anyone know how much the actual part cost, and how easy/hard it is to replace yourself?

any info would help, thanks

this is the same part jnenad said to change in your thread

zzDragonzz
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
ok just bought the crank position sensor...anyone know where it is located...facing the car on the right side of the back of the motor I think on top of the tranny, I found a plug that looks very similar to the CPS can anyone confirm this is the location of the CPS? Or have I pulled another sensor that looks like it?

I dont have a manual so things are very difficult to locate, somone point me in the right direction as to where exactly is it located???? Don't know where bell ousing is nor starter, but someone told me its around there...thanks

zzDragonzz
04-28-2006, 03:42 PM
help please.....

1995c280
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
yes that is the sensor. there should be only one bolt or torx bolt, i forget which one that holds it in.

Jason

zzDragonzz
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
So I pulled it out and put in the new CPS part # 0261210170 and the car would not start up w/ this new crank pos sensor, but when I plugged in the old sensor It started up fine and died at the normal temp that is causes it to malfunction. Anyways I have a 1998 C280 sport and I think the place I bought it from gave me the wrong one. The original one I pulled out has the same part number but last 3 digits are different.

AHHH, so frusterating, thought I would finally get to enjoy my new car today, but no... any help welcome as to part numbering, the dude that sold it to me said that according to my vin #, they changed the part half way through the year.....sigh

bikeman311
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
bump.

did you end up getting the correct part?

what was the part number for M112 engines?

is it still located on the back/right of the engine (when facing the engine with the hood up) like on the M104?