PDA

View Full Version : my scary ride!

GDawgC220
01-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Ok, that was the scariest ride i've EVER taken in my life.

I get out of school and it's only 5 degree's, even inside the parking garage. I start her up and wait about a min. I go. Outside of the exit, there's two speed bumps, cleared the first one. Next one I go over, I'm looking to my left looking at a C230 Kompressor and next thing I know, I lost power steering and no brake power. I look at my dash and see all the lights on. I stalled and was going towards a bus! I thought I was gonna hit, but I stopped intime.

Why would I stall? Too cold outside maybe? First time it's ever stalled while driving.

Next, on the highway, i'm going about 70 MPH and start to brake cuz the car in front of me is slowing down. The car slows down, but not in the way I am use to. It feels as if the car is still pushing me forward and the brake is really hard to use. After I go thru a paytoll, I notice that the car ACCELERATES BY ITSELF!!!!! It's as if the gas pedal is stuck. I try and tap the gas pedal to see if it's the pedal in the car stuck down but no luck. I'm like, OH SH*T. I'm approaching the next redlight and I throw it into neutral so that I can stop all the mean while the car is revving at 3000 RPM's. I throw it back into drive hoping the revving would stop, maybe something stuck again. But instead, the car makes this groaning noise as I try and hold the car at the intersection instead of having it fly thru by itself. I almost hit a car after the toll cuz it wouldn't stop!

I pull over immediately after the light turns green (seems to take forever!) and shut it off. I wait a min and turn it back on to see if it corrects itself, but when it turns over, it just starts revving at 3000RPM's like i'm giving it gas. So I shut it off again and wait for 20 min. I was debating whether to call road side or not, I didn't know if they could do anything besides have my car towed to a dealer.

After 20 min, I start it back up and all is normal again :confused: No revving, just like any normal start up. High idle then backs down as usual. I start driving slowly to see if it does it again, even putting the pedal down a few times but NOTHING.

I make it home and open the hood to see what's going on. I notice that the lever that u can pull under the hood to rev the engine is kinda loose? There's a little play going front and back, not side to side. I give it a slight tap and the engine starts revving, like the mechanism is stuck there. I tap it again and it stops revving.

Can this be due to the super coldness outside, for stalling and the accelerator mechanism? sorry for the long post, but needed to get it out. Thanks!

-G-

sorbo
01-09-2004, 01:17 PM
i dont know about the super cold i've had 3+ days of below zero temps and no problem. the car stays in the garage when home but when i am at school it is outside.

Andrew C280
01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
its -35 in canada today my car works fine no block heater or anthing

JDoggery
01-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I read something similar to this where the person slammed into a wall to stop the car. A big investigation resulted. I don't know the outcome.

GDawgC220
01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I did wash the car recently and had an underbody wash as well to rid salt.

Perhaps some water got onto the throttle linkage and as it was wet and driving 70MPH on the highway with wind chills below zero at that speed, condensation or water droplets probably froze and got the linkage stuck there.

When I stopped for about 20 min, engine heat probably un-froze it and it worked normal again.

I've been driving it around tonight and everything has been fine, no more stalling or stuck acceleration.

-G-

GDawgC220
01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
quick question...could i have done some damage to the engine/tranny? While I was at the stop light, I was in neutral with it trying to rev at 2500RPM...then fearing the light was about to change to green, I put it into drive slowly and the car kinda lurched forward a lil then make a nasty groaning noise cuz I was holding the car back from moving. I was probably holding it for about 15 seconds or so....could I have f'd something up? Everything seems fine now, no probs shifting or driving...

-G-