PDA

View Full Version : car won't start.

rfaquino
01-09-2004, 12:45 PM
hi there. ok, here's the thing. i was driving home last night and i noticed i hadn't locked the doors. so i push the door lock switch to lock it but nothing happened. i tried several times and still nothing happened. so i continue on home and park in my garage. i got out and went through normal routine of folding the flip key and pointing it towards the sensor on the door handle to lock it. needless to say, it did not lock. so i went in again thinking maybe the battery died. i try to start the car and nothing. all the accessories are working (radio, lights, etc.) except the dome lights and the door locks. i tried starting the engine again. it cranks but it cuts off like there was no fuel being fed. i had the car towed to the dealer to find out what's wrong. what do you guys think it is? i'm thinking its a fuel system problem. either the pump or the relay or filter or whatever. any input?

-----
'97 C280 Sport Package
109,923 m

JRE320
01-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Since you brought it to a dealer let us the outcome.

99C434ME
01-12-2004, 07:41 AM
If your central lock is not functioning, it may be something as simple as a faulty "door close sensor": the power lock will not engage if both front doors are closed...if the sensor is broken then the door looks 'open' and then you can't engage the lock. Maybe this is also causing the accessory light to stay on and drain the battery?

They are easy to break, and I believe they are about a $38 a piece at the dealer.

Just a thought,
Mark

rfaquino
01-12-2004, 08:13 AM
i got my car back yesterday. i didn't go to the dealer. they were so sure that it was the fuel pump and wanted me to order it. they said its gonna take 2 days for the part to come in. i just wasn't comfortable with my car sitting in the dealer's garage over the weekend plus the 2 days it will take for the shipment to come. i brought it to a friend's trusted mechanic instead. he said it was just a loose wire and that everything was working fine.
i think i found myself a mechanic.

Originally posted by 99C434ME
If your central lock is not functioning, it may be something as simple as a faulty "door close sensor": the power lock will not engage if both front doors are closed...if the sensor is broken then the door looks 'open' and then you can't engage the lock. Maybe this is also causing the accessory light to stay on and drain the battery?

They are easy to break, and I believe they are about a $38 a piece at the dealer.

Just a thought,
Mark :D

Eurosport
01-12-2004, 09:44 AM
one thing to always be careful about the stealership as the above example shows it as well, get 2nd or 3rd diagnosis on stuff, a lot of times if it's something small or they don't diagnose it properly they would love to make you order new parts just to cover their a$$, even though they are not 100% sure of the problem, just 2 cents

rfaquino
01-12-2004, 10:08 AM
i agree. i've read so much horror stories about the dealerships or stealerships as they are more fondly called. i can't even begin to explain why i thought of bringing it to the dealer. hmmm . . . i plead temporary insanity.

Originally posted by Eurosport
one thing to always be careful about the stealership as the above example shows it as well, get 2nd or 3rd diagnosis on stuff, a lot of times if it's something small or they don't diagnose it properly they would love to make you order new parts just to cover their a$$, even though they are not 100% sure of the problem, just 2 cents

Denlasoul
01-12-2004, 03:39 PM
A good trustworthy mechanic is priceless.