PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable front camber W202

speedybenz
01-10-2004, 09:36 PM
http://www.first-1.com/productscat/suspension/camberkits/skunk2camberkit.jpg

I have not built this part yet, but this is the path I will take to get the front of our W202, W210, W208's so we can adjust both camber and roll center.

Stay tuned.

Jeff

cian36n
01-10-2004, 09:41 PM
What CAD package did you design those on (if you designed them)?

Are you planning on billet machining them or making some folded sheetmetal and welding it?

You make mods for a living right. I don't see how you have so much time to make all these cool mods.

MRP Motorsports
01-11-2004, 07:21 AM
You are right on the money with those. I assume you can use tubular arms and a lower Knuckle from a chasis parts supplier.

Some thing like this:
http://www.irishmikes.com/images/Building%20Racecar/PB220011.JPG

Renn 208
01-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by cian36n

You make mods for a living right. I don't see how you have so much time to make all these cool mods.

See that's the funny thing...he doesn't (do it for a living, or have so much time)

He's just got a major bug up his ass to go fast...and I bow down.

J Irwan
01-11-2004, 09:25 AM
my question

since the front control arm is far more critical than the ream camber arm...(it has far more stress than the rear camber arm)

how strong would this kit be..for street driving, say for example I accidently hit some potholes..

The idea is very interesting, but I am still not convinced how well this will hold up in real life (daily street drving..).

just my $0.02 ;)

Regardz,

speedybenz
01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
J Irwin,

All I can say is it will have to be stronger than the stock part or else you won't see it coming from me. As I go through the R &D process I could end up making some junk, but the final product will be strong as hell, bet on it.

Jeff

sky
01-11-2004, 07:48 PM
this is very interesting

i was having my alignment done last week since my car hit the curb hard on coz of the snow we had...i was told by the tireshop that it was impossible to adjust the camber ....therefore right now when i brake my car would go to the right if i do'nt hold my steering wheel

anyway an off topic question, any way to get around this problem to have it fixed?

J Irwan
01-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
J Irwin,

All I can say is it will have to be stronger than the stock part or else you won't see it coming from me. As I go through the R &D process I could end up making some junk, but the final product will be strong as hell, bet on it.

Jeff

hey Jeff

dont get me wrong..

I know you're going to come up with something solid, just like with the camber arm.. I know a great job and a lot of effort went into it when I got your camber arms ;)

I am just saying from that pic, that my initial impression is not that great.

since it is the ball-joint carried (or whatever you called that :p) going to be adsjutable horizontally..
in which in my opinion and shock, stress, or force could easily change the setting position..

from the pic that you posted, the idea is good, but I am just not convinced that it will hold for street usage..

But I know you will work something out :)

Regardz,

speedybenz
01-11-2004, 09:23 PM
J,

I know what you mean. That example looks pretty flimsy and not capable of any abuse. I just posted it to show one option that may turn out to work for our cars.

But rest assured the final design will look like it could survive bounceing through potholes and curbs without bending or losing the position of the upper ball joint.

And no offence taken on your comments. As always I welcome your views and look forward to your insight.

Jeff

MRP Motorsports
01-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
hey Jeff

dont get me wrong..

I know you're going to come up with something solid, just like with the camber arm.. I know a great job and a lot of effort went into it when I got your camber arms ;)

I am just saying from that pic, that my initial impression is not that great.

since it is the ball-joint carried (or whatever you called that :p) going to be adsjutable horizontally..
in which in my opinion and shock, stress, or force could easily change the setting position..

from the pic that you posted, the idea is good, but I am just not convinced that it will hold for street usage..

But I know you will work something out :)

Regardz,

Decisions? The concept is good and the design is well proven in the hot rod and muscle car circle. Jeff is right on track with his application of a design used on other cars.

I can tell you from previous experience on setting up a C-class suspension in limited modification SCCA classes that people I have worked with have just slotted their lower control arm mounting points to adjust camber more. The same can be done at both lower control arm mounting points to adjust both camber and toe in/out.

Although a lighter Cr-moly tubular A-arm that is adjustable on the fly is nice, it is not for everone. It has many advantages in the ease/simplicity of use and extened range of adjustability. It will typically be lighter, more rigid, and stronger if constructed properly. That being said, it also has the added benefit in suspension performance with as implicated with the reduction in unsprung weight.

Being "in the buisness" and somewhat of a competitor on some fronts I share a mutual respect for his resolve and dedication.

BTW, the suspension you are looking at is the World Challenge Suburu Impreza that was campaigned for the first year in 2003. It will be again a testing platform for 2004 in anticipation of the 2005 rule change that will allow turbo cars to run! It will then be converted to a WRX format.

J Irwan
01-11-2004, 10:10 PM
by any means don't get me wrong..

(or did I send the wrong message :p)

from that pic,

even if they're proven for race and I can see the design is very well put, I can see the position adjustment is secure by 4 thin bolt in which , I can see it will be sliding around when use on the streets...

I am not dissing the design by any means, sure it is going to be on subaru world challenge

I know that the above design will work in correcting the camber effectively, but will it last.

what I mean by street usage, is that once I got my desired setting - I don't have to adjust it say every 2-3 weeks just because the aligment/setting will be off from everyday driving (pothole, etc..)
To me if I have to adjust it every 2-3 weeks it is not really qualified for daily driving usage..

Sure a lot of us is enthusiat but If I am expected to always inspect camber alignment very often in short period of time then it is not really a good solution..

that's why I keep referring to "daily driving" application (for all I know Jeff would love control arm like that on the pic for track usage :) )

I hope by now you get what I am trying to say...

So again nothing wrong with the design, probably there are some lilttle details that could be improved/changed for daily driving apps..

Regardz,

omegabenz
01-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Speedybenz,

I tried emailing you through the board but it doesnt work, could you please email me?

Thx,