PDA

View Full Version : C36 Foglights - Beam Adjustment

BadBoyBenz
01-14-2004, 01:26 PM
I noticed that my foglights are angled up and I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the beam lower?

Thanks

pnsji
01-14-2004, 01:41 PM
On the inner side of the fog light, there are 2 screws that you could adjust
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/foglight/closeup.jpg

This is achiveable by either removing your front bumper and adjust them, or jack the car really high, and then take out the underbody panel and adjust it that way.

MBenzNL
01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Take out the 2 separate towing hook covers and you will be able to get to the Phillip screws...

I always wondered why the C36 aux. highbeams are connected as aux foglights in the US...no matter how you set them - they will always point up...

greetingz,

BadBoyBenz
01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your help, I was able to adjust the beam with the two screws just like you said.

I thought the purpose of foglights was to illuminate the ground in case of foggy weather (Hence the name, FOGlights)?

Is there no other way to point the beam to the ground? I feel like I'm pissing people off everytime I turn on my foglights.

Renn 208
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm of the opinion that the only real fog light is the "blind eye" light in the rear (lights up red when you pull the light knob to the second detent and causes most people to think you have a broken tail light). It allows you to be seen in the fog.

More up front lighting just makes it harder for you to see as the light reflects off of the fog. Just my opinion of course.

pnsji
01-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BadBoyBenz
Thanks for your help, I was able to adjust the beam with the two screws just like you said.

I thought the purpose of foglights was to illuminate the ground in case of foggy weather (Hence the name, FOGlights)?

Is there no other way to point the beam to the ground? I feel like I'm pissing people off everytime I turn on my foglights.

Actually, I did this adjustment last weekend and it works great. First of all, the bumper lights is NOT fog lights (you could check your manual). The fog light is the H1 bulb in the head light housing. The fog light will be on if you pull the knob ONCE.

Pulling the knob TWICE will enable the bumper light / driving light.

In any case, I was able to adjust them down enough so that it will not blind people. Using a small screw driver, tigthen the top bolts all the way and losen the bottom bolts all the way. This is the most downward position you could go.

J Irwan
01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I actually user washer to help adjust the bumper fog-light to light the ground ...

basically on the inside mounting screw (2 of them) 1 put more washer on the bottom screw so that the fog-light would pointed down-ward.

;)

Regardz,

MBenzNL
01-22-2004, 11:31 PM
It is still weird that the same C36 bumperlight is an auxiliary HIGH beam light in europe...

greetingz,

pnsji
01-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
It is still weird that the same C36 bumperlight is an auxiliary HIGH beam light in europe...

greetingz,

Is it because it is actually different parts? Remember that the part number is different steve?

MBenzNL
01-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
Is it because it is actually different parts? Remember that the part number is different steve?
I have 3 or 4 different partnumbered lights per side...they all seem to be high beam...

greetingz,

cian36n
01-30-2004, 06:01 PM
When you guys adjusted your lights downward, did you get any sort of gap between the bumper and the light? When I did mine, I did, so I adjusted them back to 10ft in the air.

cian36n
02-01-2004, 04:18 PM
When I was adjusting my lights, I also noticed something else. There is a prism adjustment screw inside of the light, but I cant figure out how to get to it. It looks like the lens and the actual housing for the light are only secured together with glue, but I am not brave enough to take apart a 250-300 dollar light. Does anybody have any ideas. I think that if we could figure out how to take apart the housing, we could adjust the screw and completely fix the adjustment. Here is a pic of the screw:
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/133527/13.jpg
And one of the light itself:
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/133527/14.jpg

Thanks,
Ian

pnsji
02-02-2004, 09:06 AM
I was thinking about that the other day, but the housing is just hard to take out because it is glued and plastic material :(

cian36n
02-02-2004, 02:36 PM
I really want to adjust it that way, but just like you pnsji, Im afraid of what might happen! What I might do, is try and find some used ones off of ebay, or something of the sort, see if I can take those apart, and then go from there. It might even take a call to Bosch to settle it!

J Irwan
02-02-2004, 02:45 PM
cian

I know just what you were talking about,
I had thought the same before, however I don't think that screw is there made for adjustment

in my opinion the screw is there for the securing the center elipsoid shield for the fog-light..

Take a look carefully again. There is no way you could adjust that, and I don't think any special tool could fit in there to make any adjustment either.

Like I mentioned earlier, you just have to play around with the mounting position (I had to use washer to adjust my foglight) and if there are slight gap, so be it as long as its uniform for left and right foglight.

my bottom lense of the foglight does not touching the bumper I have about 2mm (both left and right fog-light).

Regardz.

cian36n
02-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Irwan,

I just went out and looked at it again, and I tried to see what you were talking about, but I cant really find anything to what you are talking about. I looked to see if that screw held anything in place, and it doesnt look like it does, it just looks as though it holds it up.

But, then I think again to myself..."Why would it just hold it up? Wouldnt it rattle around while driving?"

And then I think again..."Why would they be so out of adjustment from the factory, and why would it cause a gap to get it back into adjustment?"

That just doesnt seem Benz or Bosch to me.

Irwan, you may be right, and I may be wrong, but Im hoping for the latter of the two.

J Irwan
02-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Ian

I know what you feel abou OEM setting on Benzes should be pretty decent

but here is the fact

the bumper foglight on C36's never intened for driving light !!

hence: you have to pull the switch twice to activate it, in which also triggered the rear fog-lights.
This alone already summed it up that these lights should be used under heavy foggy condition.

When you pull the switch once, there goes your driving fog-light.

but you probably like me..

as I used to own a BMW and bumper driving fog-light is one of the cool features in which I always like.. (nothing wrong with wanting superior light on my car right.. :) )

As soon as I got my C36 I already disconnect the rear-foglight so that I can use the bumper fog-light as driving light along with the headlight.
And to make sure I don't blind out the incoming drivers, I had to adjust the foglight beam down a little bit. I use spacer on the inner mounting point (lower),

Each foglight has 3 mounting screw, one on the outer side and 2 on the inner side (I put spacer/washer on the lower mounting screw)

In sumarry, if you want to do something that was not intended in the OEM way, you have to do something about it (it's called discreet mod :D:D:D )

Same thing with my Side marker signal ,I had to take the plunge cutting a hole on my fender to install Euro side marker (these sidemarker never intended for U.S market).

What I am trying to say, is that sometime OEM is not always has the best setup.....
so we just have to come up with something won't we ;)

Regardz,

cian36n
02-03-2004, 04:51 PM
J,

I see what you mean, and it makes perfect sence. I really want to adjust them down, but I really dont like that gap. I know that there is a top and a bottom to the light, but I wonder what would happen if you installed it upside down. Or is this a no no with lights?

I am like you, Im totally down for some nice light hitting the ground... and thats why I am waiting for some funds to accumulate so I can get some c43 xenons...

Thanks for the help J