PDA

View Full Version : Bad phone Reception

johnfum
01-20-2004, 11:33 AM
I have the intergrated phone system in my 2000 c280sport using a Motorola Startac with CIngular Service. I get better reception when the phone is out of the cradle than when it is in the cradle. I lose calls all the time. I sometimes wonder if it is even worth having. Any thoughts on how to improve the reception? Can I add another antenna? Does the phone use the same antenna as teleaid?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

Tump43
01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
I experience the exact same trouble with reception. My cell phone antena is in the rear bumper. Where is yours? Perhaps a roof mounted antena would solve this problem.

johnfum
01-21-2004, 04:56 PM
The only antenna I have is the one mounted on the roof. I thought was for both teleaid and the phone. The phone system itself (pse) is located under the left rear bumper, but no antenna. Do you have an additional antenna or is yours located in the rear?

Thanks
John

Tump43
01-22-2004, 03:56 AM
John,

My PSE is located in the trunk on the left behind the trunk liner, next to the Bose amplifier. The antena is integrated into the rear bumper cover. I do not have another antena mounted on the roof. I do not have tele aid either. My GPS antena is mounted under the front dash and it works fine.

I do not know what the reception problem is caused by if you already have a roof antena. Maybe each of our antena's are defective for some reason if our cell phones get better reception out of the car cradle in the same location than in the cradle.

johnfum
01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Marc,

You may be onto something here regarding a defective antenna or possibly in my case-no antenna. In the center console where the phone is located there is a cable connected via a coaxil. I was think this may for the antenna connection. I disconnected it and within seconds I went from 1 bar reception to 3 sometimes 4 bars. I then reconnected it and I would go back down to 1 bar. I did this about 5 times to make sure it wasn't my imagination. All the phone functionality still works (I tested it). I still need to take it for a ride to see if I the reception is better as I was parked. My thinking is that once you disconnect the cable the phone defaults back to its own antenna, thus it works as if it was out of the cradle.

Sounds abit strange, but I will keep you posted.

Thanks
John