PDA

View Full Version : mercedes factory alarm off ebay

Andrew C280
01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
just got my alarm from a guy of ebay looks like everthing is there, it comes with instructions and appears to be a factory part, i have not attempted to install it, i have some questions for the experts !!

1 the instructions are for a 1996 W202 car, mine is a 1997 are the parts located in the same place ?

2 my dash board dosen't have the switch that i think is needed can it be modified ie cut to fit the other switch ?

3 has anyone installed a factory alarm?

jnolte
01-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Dosent your car already have a factory alarm?

Try this, roll down ur window, close all doors, and lock car. Then reach into car pull up the door lock and open the door, see what happen....

Andrew C280
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
nothing

C280 JR
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
i think he is talking about an alarm with remote...

Elvir

Andrew C280
01-21-2004, 01:52 PM
yep by the vin number my car did not come with an alarm

merc_lover
01-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
yep by the vin number my car did not come with an alarm

neither did mine, didnt want it.. too annoying IMO

Andrew C280
01-21-2004, 03:23 PM
hello

anyone with a mercedes manual could you please send me some more detail information on installing this alarm, i need to know how to remove some parts

audiophile
01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
have you ever installed an alarm of any kind? if you haven't don't try it. anything and everything can go wrong.

Andrew C280
01-22-2004, 04:56 AM
Its factory all plug and play, I have not installed an alarm but I have built many cars from the ground up, i have a detailed instruction guild that mercedes mechanics use.

audiophile
01-22-2004, 08:37 PM
in that case go for it;)

Andrew C280
01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
the only thing that bothers me is that i have to remove the gauge cluster and front dash by the radio i know how to remove the guage cluster where can i get the special hooks needed but i have never removed the radio dash mine in carbon fiber will it crack and break like the wood ones

pnsji
01-23-2004, 09:20 AM
the only thing that bothers me is that i have to remove the gauge cluster and front dash by the radio i know how to remove the guage cluster where can i get the special hooks needed but i have never removed the radio dash mine in carbon fiber will it crack and break like the wood ones
How can removing radio dash will crach any wood or CF piece? I remove so many of them and so many times. It is not a big deal.

Andrew C280
01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
i just read some where that the wood ones crack easy.

How is it done can you explain it to me
Aroethel@rogers.com

nokia8860
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
This is for a 1997 as that is what i have.

Center console removale.

Remove radio and hvac units and unplug.

2 screws at the lower edge of the console cover. 2 screws on the upper portion of where the radio unit sits in.

Then the cover comes out. undo the wires to the center console switch.

Also for a 1997 car there is no inside switch for the alarm. The factor alarm for a 1997 is IR based with a receiver built into the rear view mirror, drivers door and trunk. The transmittor is part of the keyfob.

Hopes this helps.

Here is a picture of how it will look like when you remove the center console

http://www.club202.com/features/w163_comand/dash.jpg

This was picture was taken from the CLUB202 Featured Articles section on how to install a MB Comand unit.

I have never heard anything about these peices being so easily breakable. The wood is several layers of wood while the look a like cf is plastic. The only way I can see of someone breaking it is if they have no clue on how to properly remove it.

Andrew C280
01-23-2004, 03:50 PM
thanks nokia where exactly are the screws located at the bottem ?

you need special tools for the radio where can i get them will the dealer lend them yah right !!!

I how would you suggest to remove the instrument cluster, i have seen my mechainc do it i dont have the specail tools should i just get them

nokia8860
01-23-2004, 06:32 PM
thanks nokia where exactly are the screws located at the bottem ?

Originally posted by nokia8860

2 screws at the lower edge of the console cover.

If you can not visualize this I suggest to go to the garage/carport where your vehicle is at and look in the general area I have provided.

you need special tools for the radio where can i get them will the dealer lend them yah right !!!

I how would you suggest to remove the instrument cluster, i have seen my mechainc do it i dont have the specail tools should i just get them

Both tools for the radio and the instrument cluster have been discussed many times on this board. I would suggest for you to use the search to give you an idea on where to buy the tools and how to use them to remove the parts.

Best of luck with your project.

Andrew C280
01-23-2004, 06:40 PM
thanks