PDA

View Full Version : hesitates at 55mph

babygirl2004
01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I OWN A 89 MERCEDES 190E 2.4 . I recently took her to a bootlegg mechanic to get my heater fixed. When he returned her to me, she was running fine and I didnt realize I had a problem until I jumped on the expressway. She will not go over 60MPH. When she reaches 60 she will hestitate (almost as if I took my foot off the gas) until she gets back to 55. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?
OKAY.............I had a friend look under the hood with me. I AM loosing pressure. There is a part that connect to the air cleaner and the intake manifold. It is plastic and it is cracked. ANyone know what it is called?
ANd THank you for your responses

JRE320
01-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Might be your catalytic converter or your engine is loosing compression. That happen to me once on my 190E. when I go uphill the car wouldl hesitate no matter how much gas I put in.
But when I go on a flat straight forward no problem.

merc_lover
01-23-2004, 11:11 AM
prolly the MAF sensor? or maybe spark plugs need changin if ur car is old enough.... i guess the first is more viable ;)
try resetting the ECU by unpluggin the battery for around 5 minutes. dont do this if u got a CODE radio tho...

merc_lover
01-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JRE320
Might be your catalytic converter or your engine is loosing compression. That happen to me once on my 190E. when I go uphill the car wouldl hesitate no matter how much gas I put in.
But when I go on a flat straight forward no problem.

yep compression too... maybe... but if compression is wrong, then u could have detonation right? plus wrong compression is mainly due to bad head gasket or piston rings and if this is so, she would notice oil leaks and/or increased oil consumtion,
check the MAF...