View Full Version : who has gotten a valve job done?

joesc280
01-23-2004, 08:22 PM
do you think that is necessary when getting the head gasket replaced....i don't have any driveablity issues and it's like 800 buck additional to a headgasket job....but the shop tells me it's like necessary when doing a head job...

i wanna know who has and hasn't had this done....because i will forego this for financial reasons..if possible....i know the stem seals can be replaced while on the car...but the valve seats have to be done with the head off...

i know the shop is in earnest but i think certain things are not problematic on the engine....they also said replace the timing chain but i think i will forego this service...because i hear they never go out....

also C280jr...where did you get your job done for so cheap...i would be willing to drive down to ga to get it done if you recommend the shop...it would save a lot of cash i don't have right now....

moebiusgold
01-23-2004, 10:46 PM
So how many miles? I probably wouldn't bother unless you had more than 150K. When the heads off they can look at a couple of seats and check those guides and if everything was within spec., leave good enough alone. $800 seems way to steep. I get 1 angle plus radiuses (better that 3 or 5 angle) for $250 for V-8 american heads.

joesc280
01-23-2004, 11:04 PM
170,000 and counting......

manny
01-24-2004, 04:19 AM
Do the valves & the timing chain. ;)