PDA

View Full Version : I am too chicken !!!

manny
01-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Went to install some new rear springs today.
Removed ( as seen in previous instructions ) swaybar link, disconnected lower shockmount, supported control arm with jack, removed nut from pivotbolt.
Now the fun started.
Regardless of how much or little pressure I applied under the pivotbolt, it did not want to wiggle or give.
I started to tap it back a little & then figured, okay if it's this tough coming out, how would I ever get it lined up & back in ?
I need this car daily.
So, I buttoned everything back up again.
Anybody have any suggestions, experience, etc. ?,

benzexpert
01-27-2004, 06:09 PM
i foudn this picture. this is how he did it.

http://www.tpscene.com/carstuff/tp01.jpg

KWiK
01-27-2004, 08:50 PM
There is no need to remove the sway bar link or disconnect the shock. You don't even need to remove the wheels. Once the car is on jack stands, place your jack snug against the control arm, just below the inner mounting bolt. Remove the bolt, slowly lower the jack, spring pulls out...

manny
01-28-2004, 04:10 AM
KWIK

Thanks for the response.
As I said above, I removed the nut from the pivotbolt and couldn't even wiggle the bolt.
I was afraid to knock it out, for fear that I wouldn't be able to lign things up again to re-assemble.

J Irwan
01-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Manny

you're already on the right track.
Jacked the car, put the car on the jack stand.
I usually take the wheel off, remove the bolt on the bottom on the shock, and remove the bolt to the sway bar link.

Now after you loosen the nut for the pivot bolt, you need to jacked the lower control arm right under the pivot area.

The puporse of this is that you could align the hole on the chassis and control arm..
Only after you align the hole then you could slide the bolt out.

And don't worry about putting them back.
ITs also the same procedure.
YOu will need to one hole at the time, then put the bolt through one hole, and as it goes through the other hole, you will need to play around with your jack again to align the hole.

Once you did one side, the other side will be a piece of cake.

Hope this helps.. :)

Regardz,

manny
01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
J Irwan

I did all of those things.
After disconnecting the bottom of the shock & the sway bar link, I removed the nut from the pivotbolt.
Trying to push the bolt out, regardless of how much or how little pressure I applied to the controlarm at the very position of the pivotbold, with the jack, I would have had to drive the bolt out with a punch.
That's when I chickened out, afraid it would not re-align again, in the reverse process.
May have to give it another shot.
Does a couple of beers prior to this project help reduce my apprehension? ;)

nokia8860
01-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by manny
I would have had to drive the bolt out with a punch.
That's when I chickened out, afraid it would not re-align again, in the reverse process.
May have to give it another shot.

Yep give it a tap with a punch and the bolt will come out. And when its time to reinstall and the holes dont line up it helps to have someone pull on the arm/brake disc to help re align the holes back so you can put the bolt in.

A sturdy flat head helps to keep the holes aligned.

manny
01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
nokia 8860

Thanks. You guys convinced me to give it another try. ;)

cian36n
01-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Manny,
Thats when you take out your handy dandy car lift, Klann Spring compressor, and not have to worry about the bolts at all. Hope this helps. J/K. Sounds like you already got some pretty good advice. Good Luck.

manny
01-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys.
Got the springs changed ( rear ) this morning.
Just a little bit of fiddling to get the pivot bolt back in, other than that....piece of cake!
So, sometime in the near future I will tackle the front.
Thanks again. ;)

joeyskates
12-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Did you ever tackle the front?

559EVO
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by KWiK
There is no need to remove the sway bar link or disconnect the shock. You don't even need to remove the wheels. Once the car is on jack stands, place your jack snug against the control arm, just below the inner mounting bolt. Remove the bolt, slowly lower the jack, spring pulls out...

Is this for the front and rear suspension?

rollinrealbig
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I was there once, yea the bolt didnt want to come out so I hammered it out, lowered the jack and spring was free. didnt jump out and kill anyone. putting the bolt back in took a little time but I got it in.

dc36
07-07-2006, 07:43 PM
does the car have to be on the groung to torque the control arm after you put it back together?

559EVO
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by dc36
does the car have to be on the groung to torque the control arm after you put it back together?
no

lewda
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
outa curiousity, what should we be torqueing the bolts back to?