PDA

View Full Version : fixing the rattling

ryhi
01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
two weeks ago i got my system installed, but now there is crazy trunk and rear deck rattling. i was wondering what all of you who have subs in the trunk have done to get rid of all the rattling? i already got rid of the license plate rattle... any help is appreciated!!

jnolte
01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Dynamat and dirty socks

cian36n
01-28-2004, 09:09 PM
You dont know rattling until you hear a 1991 Range Rover with A big bang 12...you dont hear my system, you hear my rattles!
Dynamat like J said.

1SIKBNZ
01-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Well bro if ur like me and cant afford to dynamat your whole trunk/ rear deck then go the route ive gone on 3 diff. cars (including a friends) poor mans dynamat. go to home depot in the roofing /window section. there atre these giant rolls of rubber flashing. it has a self adhesive backing to it. (very cheap, one roll will eaisly cover trunk/rear deck) run about 25 bucks. remove all trunk panels apply to0 all panels, spare tire well, remove rear deck do the same all over. the only thing that i had rattle after was the emerg. kit lid. but eaisly fixed by making a insert that either clips in or gets siliconed in. (thanks brabus for idea) u may need to silicone down the rear deck speaker grills also my left one had a tiny rattle to it. but i have a pretty hard hittin system and it holds up just fine. (clear of rattles) hope this helps a lil. itll definatly save u a grip of cash thou.!

714guy
01-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
Well bro if ur like me and cant afford to dynamat your whole trunk/ rear deck then go the route ive gone on 3 diff. cars (including a friends) poor mans dynamat. go to home depot in the roofing /window section. there atre these giant rolls of rubber flashing. it has a self adhesive backing to it. (very cheap, one roll will eaisly cover trunk/rear deck) run about 25 bucks. remove all trunk panels apply to0 all panels, spare tire well, remove rear deck do the same all over. the only thing that i had rattle after was the emerg. kit lid. but eaisly fixed by making a insert that either clips in or gets siliconed in. (thanks brabus for idea) u may need to silicone down the rear deck speaker grills also my left one had a tiny rattle to it. but i have a pretty hard hittin system and it holds up just fine. (clear of rattles) hope this helps a lil. itll definatly save u a grip of cash thou.!

yeha thats what i use and its good onthe trunk, bought a whole roll from a roofing supply store for like 50 bucks and can do your whole car twice. but you will need to heat it up really good and clean the surface with mineral spirits. i doubled and tripled up on most of my panels.

1SIKBNZ
01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
yeah if you double up on it im sure youll be completly "dead" i only have one layer down and its clean...guess depends on your setup also... but at least one layer and alot more cash in your pocket goin this route...

ryhi
01-30-2004, 10:57 PM
how do u get stuff into the rear deck etc...? i also notice something on the lower sides of the trunk rattling, kinda sounds like the bumper is rattling but it isnt.

1SIKBNZ
01-31-2004, 01:42 AM
u take it out. or i guess u can take out the emerg kit and teh plastic case its in and jam some stuff in there. but it would be much better if u remove it.

jnolte
01-31-2004, 01:51 AM
like i said, stuff some dirrty socks in thurr mane!!

714guy
02-01-2004, 04:21 PM
the dampening stuff only lessen the vibrations of the metal. my trunk still shakes or moves but just doesn't sound to loud. Getting rid of rattles are very hard you either have to bolt, glue or tape everything that moves like wires and such. patiens and persistnce is key.

pnsji
02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
actually, if you use dynamat or any other good sound dampening, the rattling should be very minimal and yet, definitely no rattling sound.

Here is a picture of the car me and Scott install the sound dampening on the inner trunk:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/dls/a6.jpg