PDA

View Full Version : What is the best setup for subs in my C220?

apantale
01-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Gooday,

Just wanted to get some feedback on what is the best setup for a sub or subs in the trunk of the 1996 C220? As with most, I am on a budget, but did not want to just get a box. I looked at JL Audio for the Stealthboxes, but there is no application. Should I do a custom enclosure? I did not want to take anymore space from the trunk area... Not sure...confused.. Need help, or direction. Btw, I need to replace the head unit, and all of the stock speakers, plus have XM Satellite since I spend 3 hours a day on the road..

:confused:

pnsji
01-29-2004, 01:44 PM
so you want to keep the space in the trunk? then stay with stock setup.

If you want to replace the head unit and has XM radio, go with a head unit that support xm radio. Any standard size head unit should fit into your car..

JRE320
01-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
so you want to keep the space in the trunk? then stay with stock setup.

If you want to replace the head unit and has XM radio, go with a head unit that support xm radio. Any standard size head unit should fit into your car..

:werd: I totally agree with you mang.... :D ;)

Renn 208
01-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Hey pnsji, would you be completely opposed to a free air setup?

Apan, another option would be to use the spare tire space as your enclosure. Each possibility has its compromises, but both a free air and a spare tire enclosure would minimize the loss of trunk space.

vas2vas
01-29-2004, 02:59 PM
infinity buslink or another self powered sub...

714guy
01-29-2004, 05:44 PM
fiberglass enclosure in the spare wheel or on the side of the trunk to get a stock look.

pnsji
01-30-2004, 08:32 AM
I have listened to alot of free air / free baffle setup and I never really satisfied with the sound. It's just the acoustic from a sealed box that is just not beatable.

Another thing about free air setup, most likely you will have to modify the rear deck pretty heavily to make sure the subwoofer are mounted sturdy and between trunk and cabin is completely sealed. If I have a fold down rear seat, i don't consider this as an option.

If you want, you could design a system where the subwoofer box is small enough, that you can easily take out when you need the space in the trunk.
I setup 1 car when it runs 5 channel amps for the whole car, and 1 small subwoofer box. The subwoofer is easily removeable and take like 5 minutes to do.