PDA

View Full Version : C43 Rear Rotor- C32's Any Better? Other Models

speedybenz
02-02-2004, 11:13 AM
I am looking to replace the the rear rotors on my C43 and would like to have a rotor thats cross-drilled or slotted of the same diameter.

Do I have any options?

Thanks,

Jeff

MRP Motorsports
02-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Jeff,

I can suggest to you if you are going to hot lap or race don't use cross drilled rotors. Use gas slotted at the most. I can tell you after seeing/participating in a lot of competitions in NASA, SCCA, and Grand Am Cup races, they all use sold disks, and some are gas slotted. When a cracked rotor will take you out of a race, it is just not worth it. This a BMW and Porshe GT3 car from this past weekend:

http://www.mrp-engineering.com/images/600_PDR_0004.JPG

http://www.mrp-engineering.com/images/600_PDR_0016.JPG

I would use solid disks and change out the brake pads for race formula pads (requires heat cycling to work) and OEM solid or two piece solid rotors. These pads will tear up the rotors anyways

Tump43
02-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Jeff --

I just got my new rotors today. They are indeed AMG rotors made and engraved AMG in Germany with the correct part numbers front and back in Benz, Germany Boxes. These rotors also came cross drilled along with printed instruction indicating that this was a factory job.

My guy did not import them from Germany but from Canada. Specifically, they came from Ontario from this dealer:
Ogilve Motors Limited, 110 St. Laurent Blvd., Ottawa, ON K1K 1A8.

Give them a ring or send them a letter. Perhaps in Canada they sell OE cross-drilled and chamfered rotors. The holes, however, do not appear to have been cast into the rotors. The OE rotors seem to have been drilled by AMG in a directional racing pattern.
I'll weigh them and post the weight later.

I'll keep you posted on whether these work better or not -- I probably don't drive or race as fast as you though!!

J Irwan
02-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Marc,

could you post the part number for these rotor

I'd cross check it with the part catalog just to see if they're indeed has different part number than C43 OEM rotors..

Regardz,

Tump43
02-03-2004, 08:19 AM
The part numbers engraved on the rotors themselves are:

Rears: AMG 210 423 08 12 both (weighs 14 lbs); and

Fronts: AMG A 210 421 19 12 R. (weighs 20 lbs);
AMG A 210 421 18 12 L. (weighs 20 lbs).

If you can let me know what the retail cost is as well I would be pleased. How much do the non-cross drilled rotors weigh?

Thanks

J Irwan
02-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Tump43
The part numbers engraved on the rotors themselves are:

Rears: AMG 210 423 081 both (weighs 14 lbs); and

Fronts: AMG A 210 421 19 12 R. (weighs 20 lbs);
AMG A 210 421 18 12 L. (weighs 20 lbs).

If you can let me know what the retail cost is as well I would be pleased. How much do the non-cross drilled rotors weigh?

Thanks

Marc
these number (correction on the rear part # A 210 423 08 12 for both L and R)
are for the OEM replacement

and I am 99.9999% positive that the hole is not made by OEM supplier meaning someone did the extra effort and works to make these holes..

the MSRP for the front is @ $368 and the rear @$66

Jeff

Based on the part number the rear rotor (210 423 0812) is use by the following model
C43, CLK55, E430 (later model), E55, CLK320, C32 Kompressor, SLK32 Kompressor, E430-matic.

Also the funny thing is that my rear C36 rotor (210 423 06 12) also said to be used on the following model:
E320, E420, E430, E320 4-matic, E430 4-matic, CLK320, CLK430, C320, and E320 CDI.

if this is true that means 96-97 C36 and C43 rear rotor also interchangeable (95 C36 very special as it has HWA 202..... part number for rotor and caliper both front and rear).

The only reason I can think it list some model for C36 part and not on the C43 part , and vice versa it because of the production year and model..??? :S

Regardz,

Renn 208
02-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Strange that your part numbers start with AMG... Sounds like someone went through quite a bit of effort to make them look like something they are not.

AMG partnumbers usually start with HWA

Tump43
02-03-2004, 10:57 AM
J Irwan:

You are correct. I forgot to add the 2 on the rear rotor numbers. I just edited my previous post.

Renn 208:

Those were simply the numbers engraved on the rotors themselves. They are definately AMG rotors as I compared them to the old rotors from my C43 that I saved when I replaced them previously. Same engraved numbers and the same AMG logo stamped on the center part of the rotor. The Mercedes Benz Germany Box was also marked correctly with the correct part numbers.

I do however agree with J Irwan. I think that someone else cross-drilled them for the Canadian dealership, that AMG only ships cross-drilled rotors to Canada, or, worse, my cheesy guy got them drilled for me. The AMG owners club did not immediately recognize cross-drilled C43 rotors, but suggested I call AMG and ask.

Brabus
02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
What happened to custom fabrication from Brakeman?? Those were some sweet brakes!

speedybenz
02-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Brabus,

The Brakeman does have a rear rotor and caliper set-up for the C230K coupe.

J can you tell us if the C230coupe uses the same rear caliper and rear rotor as the C43, C32, etc?

It would be easier to get a nice stock rotor or aftermarket rotor , then to get the Brakeman to go through the setup of making a new rotor and hat combo. But I may install thier caliper on the rear.

Thanks for the research, please post any new data.

Jeff

Tump43
02-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Jeff --

I just found this company and they do indeed have a cross drilled rear rotor already developed and available for the C43 AMG.

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/brakes/applicationid/62057/carproducts.asp

Like Brakeman they also do custom jobs. To bad I didn't wait to buy a kit from either of them. Next time.

Marc

speedybenz
02-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Marc,

Great Find!!.

Jeff

nukblazi
02-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Brabus,

The Brakeman does have a rear rotor and caliper set-up for the C230K coupe.

J can you tell us if the C230coupe uses the same rear caliper and rear rotor as the C43, C32, etc?

It would be easier to get a nice stock rotor or aftermarket rotor , then to get the Brakeman to go through the setup of making a new rotor and hat combo. But I may install thier caliper on the rear.

Thanks for the research, please post any new data.

Jeff Jeff, the C230 Coupe and C32 brakes are cross compatible. Also, the rear calipers and discs from a W210 E55 AMG bolt up to the W203 C230 Coupe.

A good set up would be C32 up front and the W210 in the rear. I've seen tracked C32 rotors though, bronzed and cracked. MRP (name? sorry) is right, solid or slotted. A good alternative is Brembo slotted OEM replacement rotors for the W203 C32 fronts and W210 E55 rears.

The C32 fronts run about 750 for everything and the W210 E55 rears will cost just over a grand for everything.

Hope this helps...

Renn 208
02-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Tump43
J Irwan:

I do however agree with J Irwan. I think that someone else cross-drilled them for the Canadian dealership, that AMG only ships cross-drilled rotors to Canada, or, worse, my cheesy guy got them drilled for me. The AMG owners club did not immediately recognize cross-drilled C43 rotors, but suggested I call AMG and ask.

Well, all may still be legit, as this will then only be the second time I've seen/heard of MB drilled rotors for a car that typically doesn't come with drilled rotors.

Tump43
03-18-2004, 05:08 AM
I finally figured out the history of my C43 Cross-Drilled rotors. They were supplied to my American aftermarket dealer by KVR, a Canadian performance brake shop. KVR ordered the exact OE C43 AMG rotors front & rear (the part numbers check out) from an MB dealership in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, drilled the rotors and forwarded them on to my aftermarket dealer. I checked out KVR's web site and they seem to be plenty qualified to drill a set of rotors properly (https://www.kvrperformance.com/world/world.html).

I have them on my car now with Porterfield R4S pads and stainless steel kevlar brake lines. In my humble opinion, for my purposes, this set up works much better than stock. I only engage in performance driving on back roads and some highways. It is now possible to modulate the brakes precisely and to bring the car to an immediate halt as per the instructions issued by my foot. This is a vast improvement over the OE brakes working smoothly until they seemingly and randomly found their optimum friction level and applied the maximum braking force whether this was or was not my intention.

speedybenz
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Hey Marc,

Thanks for the update.

Jeff

nukblazi
04-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Jeff,

I just wanted to let you know I was able to verify that the E55 rear AMG calipers and rotors are direct replacement on the C43.

Any update on your brakes yet?