PDA

View Full Version : Silly Oil Change Question

Tom Q
02-03-2004, 11:48 AM
It's time to change my oil and I've haven't tried to DIY an oil change for my 95 C220. I need help with directions :(

1. Where is the oil filter?
2. Do I need a special tool?
3. Where do I buy the filter, from a stealer?
4. Do I simply unsrew the drain nut from the oil pan?

Thanks.

nokia8860
02-03-2004, 11:51 AM

Toward the back of the block

Yes

Your local auto store my carry it already. I have puralator :)

Yep But do remember to replace the 1 time use crush washer with a new one.

See not silly at all.

:)

jnolte
02-03-2004, 12:00 PM
yup u need a oil filter wrench. I bought one 2-3 weeks ago from the stealership and the mofo broke yesterday! it cracked! i was suprised because its steel aluminum! ANyways i went to the parts dept. today and they are ordering me a new one plus they are giving me CLK door poppers and key hole covers for free cuz of the trouble they put me thru! :)

Tom Q
02-03-2004, 12:02 PM
man thanks for the quick reply. Just to be sure before I actually change the oil, a sillier question: I haven't really seen the bottom of the engine but is the filter at the bottom (towards) the back of the block like Japanese cars?

Where do I buy the crush washer?

Tom Q
02-03-2004, 12:04 PM
jnolte, I have the oil filter wrench for my Japanese cars. Is it the same tool?

martattack
02-03-2004, 12:12 PM
The oil filter wrench can be bought at your local auto parts store. Mine was like $2.99. It' plastic, but if it breaks, then it doesn't matter because it was cheap.

Not positive how the 4cyl is,but I imagine it is similar to the C280. My filter is accessed from the top. It is at the back of the block just behind the intake manifold. You can get a crush washer at the dealer. I bought my filter off of www.importec.com and it came with a new crush washer and the oil filter gasket.

Here's a couple pictures. First one is of the filter, washers and the black thign with the sticker is what the oil filter tool looksl ike

Second pic is of the filter being removed.

http://blauschwarz.home.comcast.net/oil1.jpg

http://blauschwarz.home.comcast.net/oil2.jpg

Tom Q
02-03-2004, 12:57 PM
thanks guys for the help. Now I'm ready to change my oil.

sph17
02-04-2004, 05:43 PM
is in the front drivers side of engine (if I remenber correctly). It is much easyer to get to than the one buried in the back drivers side on the I-6 engine. It is a black plastic cap about 3-4 inch accross.

I got my metal oil filter wrench from an AutoBarn auto supply store for like $6. Works fine, fits fine, no problems yet.

CKlasse
02-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Tom Q
It's time to change my oil and I've haven't tried to DIY an oil change for my 95 C220. I need help with directions :(

Thanks.

1. On C220.. It is on the front side of the driver side of the engine compartment.

2. Any oil filter wrench will do

3. Any part store carry them

4. Yes, use torque wrench at 20lbs to tighten up.

Tom Q
02-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Is it the one beside the power steering reservoir?

(right under my nose when you pop the hood)
;)