PDA

View Full Version : The truth about window tinting

benzdude
02-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I heard that window tinting doesnt go so well on the w202. Is this true?

will you get to much rubbing and scratching from the weather strip? I read that you can either cut or replace your strip. which method is better?

what % of tint should you get? Is the legal % different from state to state?

also, Are there different methods of applying tint to windows? spray or film? what is the difference in cost? what is the best method for w202 windows?

if anyone has had this done please reply.
:D

sorbo
02-05-2004, 11:15 AM
yes tint % does varry state to state, go to the dept. of transportation web site for you state and it should be listed.

jnolte
02-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Theres little weather tabs in the doors that they need to remove before appying the tint. If they dont ur tint will get scratch marks on it.

Here in WA st. 35 percent is legal.

Im getting 20% though :)

asreeve
02-06-2004, 03:42 AM
i have tinted windows and they are all scratched. i did not know about the weather strip.

benzdude
02-06-2004, 07:59 AM
I hate to ask, but can someone post a pick of the weather strip?

Is it the rubber strips that run on the inside and outside of the windows?

moedigga
02-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for heads up on weather strip I'm going to tint shop this afternoon. I picked the right day to log on. -MOE

VaC280
02-06-2004, 08:37 AM
When I tinted my windows I removed the black weather strip on the inside of the door and sanded it with low grit sand paper to give it a smooth surface so it would not scratch the tint. I worked for a while, but the passenger side door is now getting scratches and I don't know where it is coming from?

Jnolte, I would be interested in what you mean by weather tabs in the doors? If this could solve the problem I would do it. Could you explain a little more indepth and maybe give some pics or hints as to where they are located. Thanks

jnolte
02-06-2004, 11:43 AM
sorry i shoulda been more clear. Its little tabs in the door that push on the glass for a more "sealed" window when rolled up. They need to remove these or sand them down almost completly so it wont touch at all. If u dont u will have scratch marks. Any good reputable tint shop will know what u are talking about, one that works on high end cars

shydcstyle
02-06-2004, 08:06 PM
I just had my windows tinted last month haven't run into any problems. I guess I will have to wait until spring to make sure there is no problem. Shop has lifetime warranty so if I do get scratches I will have it redone.

davis449
02-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I had them cut the weather stripping on the inside of mine and it's only scratching a little bit on the driver's side. Not too bad though.

ryhi
06-22-2004, 10:24 AM
how hard is it to remove the stripping yourself?

steponit
06-23-2004, 07:12 AM
if it is replaced, what type of matieral should be substituted.

ps. for everyone in the bay area, what tint shop did you go to?

Kswiss
06-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey guys, I got my tint from 2 different shops....2 different times of course...but each time that i went, i told them that the tint would get scratched ....i knew this before because my friend had it on his window....so anyway, the guys told me that they knew what the problem was and said they were not going to cut anything...I'm not sure what they did, but i have noscratches and no cutting necessary....maybe you should go to a better shop that knows about this problem.......