PDA

View Full Version : Tips on instrument cluster and radio hvac removal

Andrew C280
02-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey all you hardcore moders out there, i am getting ready to remove the insrument cluster, i have seen my mechanic do this i purchased the correct tools to do the job. i am also removeing the radio and hvac unit and the carbon fiber dash part surounding it any tips befor I start ?

ok i got the tools went out to my car and man that couldent have been easyier anyone who has any mechanical motor skills can remove the instrument cluster and radio and dash no probem, here is where i run into problems.

1.) drivers side lower "b" pillar no screw holes or anything should i just pull it off ?
2.) drivers side front and rear kickpanels
3.) where is the main set of wires that run from the front to the trunk located in the car
4.) is the carpet glued down?

also i have the mitchell cd manual if anyone else has other manuals and would like to trade over the internet or would like to email me other instructions for wireing in the mercedes factory alarm. this would be help full.

I also have a rear drivers side factory new old stock tail light lens in the original box will to sell that or trader for parts, hub caps for the winter, front driver side light lens, ect

i will document the install with the digital so that anyone else who would like to install one of these has some information since my dealer has never install a factory alarm befor i am relying on the manual and you guy/girls

Black 1994 C280
02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Look on eBay...they have radio removal tools and dash removal tools ;)

Andrew C280
02-05-2004, 10:27 AM
tools are cheaper at the dealer for me because i am in canada and have to go through the exchange rate, ebay is the first place i look for benz parts then the dealer

they charged me 16.00 for the cluster removal and gave me the radio removal tools for free ooohhh, i must be a big spender there ??? any other time they just tell me i did not buy my car there and to go pound salt.

Black 1994 C280
02-05-2004, 11:08 AM
any other time they just tell me i did not buy my car there and to go pound salt.

I know the feeling :rolleyes:

pnsji
02-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
1.) drivers side lower "b" pillar no screw holes or anything should i just pull it off ?
2.) drivers side front and rear kickpanels
3.) where is the main set of wires that run from the front to the trunk located in the car
4.) is the carpet glued down?

1. It has 4 clips all together. Pull the door sills( no screws) and then pull the door liner carefully and you could see the clips holding lower b pillar.

2. each kick panel as held by 1 screw and 2 clips. You need to yank a small plastic cover to reveal the screw.

3. not sure what wire are you talking about

4. It is not glued.

Andrew C280
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
there should be a group of wires that go to the trunk like the spinal cord of the car my mechanic said i should run the wires through that channel.

detroit202
02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Cool take pics of that channel ..id like to run my gps antenna back there so it can sit on my back window

pnsji
02-05-2004, 01:27 PM
there should be a group of wires that go to the trunk like the spinal cord of the car my mechanic said i should run the wires through that channel.
There are ALOT of goups of wires going on there.
Please be spefic in your question.

martattack
02-05-2004, 01:46 PM

They run along both sides down by the door sills. When you pop the door sill covers off, you will see a black plastic cover. Pop open the clips with a screwdriver and run your wiring! If you are giong into the trunk, I would recommend pulling at LEAST the bottom of the rear seat. The seat back will make things easy as well. THe seat bottom can be removed by pressing in the little release levers on the on the lower corners of the seat. If you ahve a fixed rear seat back, there are three 10mm bolts (2 sides and middle) that hold it in.

Martin

Andrew C280
02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
sorry i was under the impression that there was only one channel going to the trunk not more than one.