PDA

View Full Version : EGR Flow Malfunction

KenzBenz
02-05-2004, 06:27 PM
error code P0400 anyone know anything about this? or how or what to fix?

moebiusgold
02-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Yep, your EGR port in the intake manifold is clogged up. Speedo cable from EGR valve end of steel tube to clean it.
EGR low flow thread (http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/search.php3?action=showresults&searchid=719323&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)
Somewhere buried in this forum are your answers. You could try searching club202.com for my posts on this subject.

jnolte
02-05-2004, 09:43 PM
its got a bunch of carbon gunk build up, time to bust out the pipe cleaners..

moebiusgold
02-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Look for the Steve Brotherton article on doing this
how to unblock EGR clog (http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_stevebfl_1.htm)
I should have posted this first. Sorry Ken.

jnolte
02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
PF I already gave Kenz that Thread link over AOL instant messanger! lol ;)

Rocky
02-09-2004, 08:22 AM
You can either clean it or get the updated EGR tube.

J Irwan
02-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
You can either clean it or get the updated EGR tube.

Anyone knows the part number for this updated EGR tube..

And pic of the newer updated part would be help too, as I'd like to find out how hard is it to change it myself..... :D

Regardz,

Rocky
02-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Irwan, I wish I had pics and part #. I just read this at mercedesshop.com. I had top rifle through a billion pages.

moebiusgold
02-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Anyone knows the part number for this updated EGR tube..

And pic of the newer updated part would be help too, as I'd like to find out how hard is it to change it myself..... :D

Regardz,

When I tried to clean mine I had both ends free but there is one bolt on the back LH corner of the Clylinder head that no combination of the tools that I own could get on. Heck, I can barely get my finger on the end of it. You might have to take the removable portion of the cowl off or the cylinder head off. I might be headed there soon. The RF corner of my head block interface is suddenly weeping oil. Damm, the head gasket was just replaced 15K ago by previous owner.

J Irwan
02-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
When I tried to clean mine I had both ends free but there is one bolt on the back LH corner of the Clylinder head that no combination of the tools that I own could get on. Heck, I can barely get my finger on the end of it. You might have to take the removable portion of the cowl off or the cylinder head off. I might be headed there soon. The RF corner of my head block interface is suddenly weeping oil. Damm, the head gasket was just replaced 15K ago by previous owner.

Hm... RF (passenger side)..

that was where my leak was where the rest of the corners and sides were completely dry.

After I replaced the gasket now all 4 corners and sides are all nice and dry :D

btw could you take a snap shot of which end of this EGR valve pipe that need to be cleaned, I am not 100% sure of the part..

however the other day I was looking at it, I don't think mine has 90 deg bent anywhere... but I could be wrong..

Regardz,

moebiusgold
02-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Actually, the problem was not in the actual pipe. The clog was in the port in the aluminum manifold where the pipe bolts up. The bracket was so stiff that i was afraid to bend it enough to axcess it from the drivers (EGR pipe flange) side. So I followed Steve Brotherton's method to the "T" and used a Speedo cable and drill motor. If the head comes off I'll have a better look at things and take some appropriate Pics. The resolution of Steve's pic is terrible but that is what it looks like. I disd fles the flange far enough away to see solid carbon so I knew that was what my problem was. I still laugh. 3 owners, 4 Benz dealers and 2 Independants didn't figure it out. As I have said before, this is what got me all pumped up about Club 202 !!!:D ;)
BTW, my guess is that the revised pipe extends threw the manifold so that the gasses can never get cooled by the Aluminum.

JRE320
11-25-2004, 08:42 PM
resurrecting this tread. Does it mean that when you replaced the head gasket most likely you would clean this up?
Coz my EGR comes up on the scanner.

11-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Here the kompressor engine of a 1998 car don't have the EGR. Do you have EGR in yours?

Further do you have the vapour oil suction over the engine?
Does the oil vapour go to the air box filter BEFOR or AFTER the filter itself?

Hi:)

Denlasoul
11-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Are there any symptoms for noticing the EGR flow malfunction or do you have to wait for the Error Code?

JRE320
11-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Are there any symptoms for noticing the EGR flow malfunction or do you have to wait for the Error Code?

There's no symptoms for EGR malfunction. The check engine will just come on. Resetting it will still come on after 1 day or 2.

JRE320
11-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
Here the kompressor engine of a 1998 car don't have the EGR. Do you have EGR in yours?

Further do you have the vapour oil suction over the engine?
Does the oil vapour go to the air box filter BEFOR or AFTER the filter itself?

Hi:)

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean. :(

11-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Questions are:
1) on your C230 kompressor engine, do you have EGR?

2) on your C230 kompressor engine, do you have the oil vapour separator (that introduce the vapour oil from the crankase to the air box?

Thanks a lot and I hope to be clear:)

Hi

JRE320
11-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I don't have a C230 Kompressor. But a C280 1995. ;)

All it need is a good cleaning that cost $300 bucks... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bored: :(

KenzBenz
11-30-2004, 11:03 PM
i think it can be done for around 150$ , i got that quoted awhile back from mercedesonly or allmercedes or something i think thats the place...its the one in fremont.

11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
I don't have a C230 Kompressor. But a C280 1995. ;)

All it need is a good cleaning that cost $300 bucks... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bored: :(

JRE320 thanks for your reply but since here there are a lot of "kompressed" member, I'm looking for their reply:)