PDA

View Full Version : Shocks are going...help!

davis449
02-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Ok, if I'm not correct our 202's have a shock/spring combo. in the suspension, not struts. Well my idiot Mercedes service guy doesn't even know what type of suspension my car has. Anyway, I'm able to feel just about every bump in the road and it's a little bouncy on dips. It dives a little when I brake and dives a lot more than I remember when I first got it, in corners. What do y'all think? Also, I'm taking it to them on Monday so they can look at it. My dealer has been pretty good about not screwing me when it comes to fixing my car, except for the whole keyless entry tragedy. How much should I expect to pay them? If it's too much and they do determine it is the shocks, I will probably take it somewhere else.

vas2vas
02-06-2004, 01:09 PM
well most likely the shocks need replacement... how many miles does the car have, usually it takes heavy mileage to also kill springs... strut is just the type of suspension setup, they still contain shocks, BMWs usually use McPherson struts for front suspension. I think M/B uses some sort of a multilink system for w202's front suspension.

benzfan
02-06-2004, 06:26 PM
The 202 is a coil spring and a shock on both front and rear. The shocks do not run inside the coils so they are dirt simple to replace. I have done my own twice now. you need a trolley jack (ideally) and a jack stand and a few wrenches. That's it. Use MB shocks (Bilstein I believe). I used KYB once and hated them. The price was close to the same too. Bottom line is you can do them in your driveway with a buddy to watch you and a cold 12-pack. DIY on this one. One thing that does make it easier, especially on the front passenger side is an impact gun, so you don't have to figure out how to hold the lower nut while undoing the top one.

MRP Motorsports
02-06-2004, 07:01 PM
The front suspension is a double arm configuration with a shock. The rear is MB pateneted 5 link configuration used for 20 years, again using a shock. If you are diving into corners and braking it is very possible you shocks, but also check your control arm bushings.

I would use Bilstein HD at least. Bilstein, FK, or Koni sport if you want to change the springs to lowering springs too. For adjustability use Koni.

davis449
02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
The first part of my post was a sarcastic one.:D I know what the suspension set up is. The point was that the MB tech (hell he was the SERVICE MANAGER) didn't even know what the suspension setup on a W202 was. Now that I've been told that the rear suspension setup has been in use for 20 years, it REALLY makes me question this guy's knowledge of the product he's responsible for servicing. MRP Motorsports, I'm glad you mentioned the control arm bushings. That's probably the reason he said he wants me to bring it in before I just go replace the shocks on it, cause that'll get done on Starmark. By the way, the car has 72K on it and it's a 95 model. In my past experience, it's normal for shocks to wear out after 9 years and 72K miles. My Maxima's went at around 90K and that was replacing a Mcpherson strut suspension. Thanks so much for your advice and support guys. This is why I love this board.

benzfan
02-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Have them look at your lower ball joints while they are checking bushings. At the mileage you are at, I bet they are toast too. Most people find the 202 goes through them at approx. 60k mile intevals, give or take a bit. That's been my experience too.

davis449
02-07-2004, 08:13 AM
I gather they're going to look at the entire suspension setup to make sure nothing else is broken.

fastmayte
02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
good time to swap to Bilstein shocks or koni adjustable. there are some koni's on ebay (new) for 200 a set. search c-class or w202 .

MRP Motorsports
02-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by davis449
Now that I've been told that the rear suspension setup has been in use for 20 years, it REALLY makes me question this guy's knowledge of the product he's responsible for servicing.

The suspension has been in production since 1984 on the 190E. The 5-link configuration has gone under so little change that the control arms are the same on most models to date. The part numbers are just getting obsoleted for older versions and given new chasis prefixes as the same part is used on newer vehicles.

The 190 now uses some W210 parts for replacement!

Factory techs are only trained on the latest models. That is why you sometimes get better service from Independant MB service centers with experience on older cars out of warrenty vehicles. Some of new techs rely too much on a computer read out to diagnose any problems on a car these days.

I actually talked to a ASE certified Master Tech at a Misubishi dealership about the new EVO-VIII. The discussion came to the engine and I mention the fact the engine is the same 4G63 as used for over 10 years and how remarkable it was. He hadn't a clue what motor it was. This is the same motor in the Gen 1 eclipse from the early 90's. This is also the legendary beast that is capable to push 500hp out of a stock 4 cylinder engine.

max2105
02-10-2004, 06:16 AM
I've replaced my stock shocks with Bilstein HD (heavy duty). Incredible change. Although the ride is stiffer, it's much more controlled. Less body roll. Very happy with the change. Too bad the car is totaled and now I have to replace the struts on my W124...

igotthebenz
02-14-2004, 11:29 AM
hey guys.....when changing the shocks. what r the proper torque specs for the top and bottom bolts? i'll probably b changing mine when the weather starts gettin warmer in boston.

btw....i'm a newbie here...really cool site!

jlomon
02-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Front Shocks:

Lower mounting nut/bolt: 55 Nm or 41 lb/ft
Upper mounting locknut: 30 Nm or 22 lb/ft
Upper mounting nut: 18 Nm or 13 lb/ft

Rear Shocks:

Upper mounting nut: 15 Nm or 11 lb/ft
Upper mounting locknut: 30 Nm or 22 lb/ft
Lower mounting bolt/nut: 55 Nm or 41 lb/ft

*Always remember* that you torque everything down when the car is back on the ground, so that the suspension is under load. Don't set the torque with the car up in the air.

Tell me how it works out. I just received a set of Bilstien HDs from shox.com last week, but I have to wait for the weather to get warmer so I can install them.

Jonathan