PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Cassette Holder

RobertFini
02-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I hope someone can help me out with this, after the dealer told me it was very complicated and not worth doing.

I have a '97 C36AMG with the stock AM/FM/Cassette head unit. The car came with the "optional" six-cassette tape holder that sits in the dash below the head unit. I've had the car since it was almost new (I got the car at 4600 miles in December '97), and I can't remember ever playing a cassette tape and have never, ever stored a tape in this unit. I'd like to replace the tape holder with the storage bin that would have been here had the car not been equipped with this option.

Any help describing how to get this thing out and what part numbers are required for the swap will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Rob

vas2vas
02-08-2004, 10:42 AM
as usual the dealer misinformed you... :mad: swapping the tape holder for the storage bin can be done by a 9 year old... provided he has a philips screwdriver :) there are two philips screws holding the tape holder in place (on the top part... take them off, pull it out firmly, and it will pop out... get the OEM coin tray p/n - 202 683 00 91 - sells for $11.50 I got mine from BMA but it is available from any m/b dealer....
what the dealer ment to say it's not worth doing for them b/c there is such little profit margin...

BMA (http://www.bmaautoparts.com/)

p.s welcome to club 202:D

sorbo
02-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by vas2vas
as usual the dealer misinformed you... :mad: swapping the tape holder for the storage bin can be done by a 9 year old... provided he has a philips screwdriver :) there are two philips screws holding the tape holder in place (on the top part... take them off, pull it out firmly, and it will pop out... get the OEM coin tray p/n - 202 683 00 91 - sells for $11.50 I got mine from BMA but it is available from any m/b dealer....
what the dealer ment to say it's not worth doing for them b/c there is such little profit margin...

BMA (http://www.bmaautoparts.com/)

p.s welcome to club 202:D

:werd: you will love it, it updates the look and is very funtional. you will wonder how you lived with out it.

benzdude
02-08-2004, 10:56 AM
bob I have a 95 c280 with MB cellular phone.

http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nFAAAALcDmBNBGhHD01zt2ALndusXj*CXekMGMjQpy i5x6Bs7bT7wBQ

In my car, I think the cell phone controller/module is located in same spot where your cassette holder is. (In the picture it is below the radio and above the ash tray.)

Last night I had to remove the cell module/ash tray to get at the cig/accessory outlet wires.

Heres what I did, hopefully it works for you.

you will need a set of MB radio removal tools. these are available at the dealer or ebay (about $5.00).

1. Verify the you have your radio code. If you do , then proceed.

2. Remove the radio with the special radio removal tools, pull the radio all the way out and set it on the shifter over a rag (to avoid scratching surface). disconnect the radio completely and set it aside. (you have your radio code, right?)

3. Remove two screws located just below the radio on the underside of the bezel.

4. Remove two screws located on the top portion of the radio's mounting cavity/opening.

5. Pull the bezel, starting from the bottom towards you, just enough to clear the climate control then pull down to release from the top.

6. After bezel is released, tie some string to the bottom and suspend it from your rear view mirror to keep it out of the way. (I choose not to un plug the connectors)

now, using the offical the long wedge ( MB part # 115 589 03 59 00 ) , a small flat end screw driver or thin knife (dont scratch the trim) :

7. remove the plastic frame around the gear shift. (pry up frame from passenger side with wedge, place your finger under and pull up as you go around bottom of frame. )

8. remove the gear shift cover. (open your cup holder half way and place your hand under the gear shift cover trim, pull up to release the cover, then pull up at the top to completely remove)

9. now, if you have a coin tray below the ash try. pull that out.

10 remove the two screws at the bottom of the ash tray and
pull cassette holder / ash tray.

11. the cassette holder should be attached by screws or clips

hope that helps.

1SIKBNZ
02-08-2004, 12:35 PM
what phone piece is that you have? how does that operate and how does it hook up to phone/ car? does it link up to a mic/ speaker system in the car....is this just the older phone system>? i have a 99' and i had the deck with a keypad on it with the system in the car i got an aftermarket unit now but was wondering if i got somthing like this if i could utilize it with the phone system??? thanks!

benzdude
02-08-2004, 01:05 PM
the phone module/controller (below the radio in the pic) was installed by MB and came with the car. It is part of an older cellular system.

it show phone number and text. allows speed dialing and manual volume control etc.

The handset is inside the top part of the arm rest and there is a "hands free" mic near the rear view mirror. Cell calls can come through speaker , radio mutes, etc.

the system still works (no service message) , but is analog only I think. :(

Right now its just for looks.

1SIKBNZ
02-08-2004, 01:10 PM
hmmmm... anybody with a prt # for this ? thanks!

J Irwan
02-08-2004, 01:10 PM
RobertFini,

Here is the instruction that I have posted a long time ago.

Do it according to the step number.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwANA24ZJSFZmm7KBt1ilDXVA9snEgfze5dDCP3Sw3KIStwQt pV3c6sow6rdSLQZCoAdKaqROCA5xnKi9qIWG8FbGioq7ICbBoI h5U!ltE1mMDk!xiXaoQ/Interior_how_to.jpg

Before you do this step, you should eject the little asthray container out of the ashray.

And after you do step 5.
Then you should only pull the casseste holder and asthray holder (they will be secure together by railing) therefor you will need to reach behind in and disconnect the wires for (+) and (-) of Cigarette lighter, and another connector for the light you need to disconnect.

Once you disconnected these wires the cassette holder and asthtray assembly can be taken out.

Once it is taken out (like I mentioned it's secure one another by railings), you should be able to separate these two (snap-on).
Then you could put the new part together with the ashtray together and follow the direction on the reverse order..to put them all back together.

Regardz,

benzdude
02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
J,

does your "rubber container thingy" get really dusty and white?
mine does and it looks nasty. I am not sure why it does that.

I have to clean it all the time.

I wrote down the part number and hopefully MB created a new version with an improved rubber coating.

detroit202
02-09-2004, 08:27 AM
so you can just yank that little inch wide rubber container under the ashtray out to clean it?

please confirm .. this would be nice..so i can clean that little bastard ..

thanks !

J Irwan
02-09-2004, 12:20 PM
benzdude,

The rubber container usually only has dust on it. In which easy to clean.

If you said that you're trapped dirt and harder to clean, let me ask you if you spray that thing with Armor All or similar stuff...

cause I never did spray those thing on my rubber container..

detroit202,
to yank that rubber container (where I have my remote on my pic above)

all you need to do is step 1 and 2.

Step 2 needed, otherwise it will be almost impossible to yank the rubber container. (step 1 is pre-requisite of step 2 off course :D)

Regardz,

benzdude
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
MB calls it an "oddments" container.

you probably should

1. take the plastic frame around the gear shift out and
2. then gear shift trim before trying to yank it out.

In my car the "oddments" container sits a little under the gear shift trim. be careful.

nokia8860
02-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by RobertFini
IThe car came with the "optional" six-cassette tape holder that sits in the dash below the head unit. ,
Rob

Thats funny mines has the HVAC unit in its place

http://www.club202.com/nokia8860/comand_leather.jpg

I joke I joke.... looks like the members were able to give you instructions on how to help out with your problem.

After youre done you have to bring your car back to the dealership to show them that it is very possible and very easy to do.

Shoot stick comand in while youre at it and really show them what 202 is about. :D

ruffino28
02-14-2004, 02:29 PM
actually very easy to change i just did that today take only 5 mins
u just need to remove audio and two screws i brought that from dealer part #202-683-04-91-7c45 $24.38

1SIKBNZ
02-14-2004, 03:05 PM
anything special to be done to move the ac/heat unit to where the tray slot is? how does it mount in? just take out the tray and slide it in? any major modding to do that? i have a fold up screen in dash and it pops up in front of the controls it has a tilt feature but i would like to have my ac controls down below as a convienence. plus looks nice! and if i do move it down any suggestions on what to put in the leftover gap? and no i cant do command...lol... can the tray mount in there at all? thanks in advance!!!

1SIKBNZ
02-15-2004, 12:59 PM
bump....any answers/help on this?

1SIKBNZ
02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
bump... can anybody get an answer on this...? maybe whoever owns the car in the pic...thanks!

benzdude
02-26-2004, 11:23 AM
thats all nokia.

vas2vas
02-26-2004, 12:20 PM
how about just switching positions between the radio and climate control?

1SIKBNZ
02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
nope, screen would sit to high when out and in front of vents as well. nokia any answer?

alrefai
05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
hi folks,

I called BMA today to order the OEM coin tray p/n - 202 683 00 91 but the sale rep. coudn't find this number in his computer. Could anyone tells me the correct part #.

My local Benz dealer asking for $31.50 for the tray and its special order.

Thanks,

97C28O
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Don't want to start another thread but this is also related.. Since I have the phone feature and if i take that out is there wires connecting to the unit in the arm rest? If i take the armrest unit out is there another replacemnt with compartments? Can anyone post pics of their armrest trays? (Ones with no phone unit)

Abuimad
10-10-2006, 06:18 AM
arm rest tray ? u mean the arm rest inside ?!?!...i am reading this at uni, i will take some cell phone shots and post them up if no one beats me to it....

97C28O
10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
arm rest tray ? u mean the arm rest inside ?!?!...i am reading this at uni, i will take some cell phone shots and post them up if no one beats me to it....

Well the armest compartment. With the 2 tabs.. There is two levels, one with the phone and other is just like deep compartment... I will show pics...

The phone book...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/knvg/IMG_0149.jpg

The phone...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/knvg/IMG_0150.jpg

The phone in the armest...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/knvg/IMG_0151.jpg

The phone book close up...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/knvg/IMG_0152.jpg

Proven Guilty
10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
what the hell were they thinking with the faux carbon fiber? :dead:

97C28O
10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Haha... Yea.. but it looks cool..

So anyone? how do i remove the phone book thingy in the dash? And is there a different armest tray, where the phone is in other 202s? Stupid phone, hate it