PDA

View Full Version : how to measure coolant level

Andrew C280
02-09-2004, 07:31 AM
having a slight over heating problem after takeing my dash apart,
its normally around 80 now its exceding that i want to check the coolant to make shure its the proper level

Renn 208
02-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Easiest way is to check the coolant tank in the engine bay and see that it's right up to the bottom of the black top portion of the translucent tank.

http://inc28.web.aplus.net/eolympia/94c2807147/MVC-027S.JPG

It's the tank right above the airbox (big square thing on the left). Also, don't open it while everything is still hot.

Andrew C280
02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Yah i am not that dumb how full should the container be, what color is the coolant why would my car just start to over heat it not much but its starting to worry me.

Renn 208
02-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
Yah i am not that dumb how full should the container be, what color is the coolant why would my car just start to over heat it not much but its starting to worry me.

Sorry if I was overly explicit in my instructions, as I was trying to answer your original question of how to check your coolant level.

OEM coolant should be clear. Often people use the green stuff too. Also, there is a previous thread on overheating issues posted by Kameraguy. There's plenty of information there on the temp sensor possibly being bad or other items to check out.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1555&highlight=overheating

If I haven't answered your question, please just let me know and I will try to clarify.

J Irwan
02-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Andrew C280

dude take it easy allright...

nobody said you're dumb..!!

Renn208 was merely trying to help, as he doesn't know whether you're a car-savy guy or not..

you'd be surprise to all kind of question being asked here (that I am sure some of us think it was dumb questions and the owner should have known that in the first place).

But we never dismissed such question (nor flamed the person), we answered them.. gracefully. ..

after all, we are here to share the knowledge and experience about cars.. ;)

Regardz.

Andrew C280
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
sorry sometimes I forget that people are not mechanics. although anyone should be able to figure out where the coolant bottle is, anyways i am in the process of replaceing my thermostat, seem like that is the commen fix for these problems

max2105
02-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Most likely you need a new thermostat. When was the last time you flushed/replaced the coolant? It should be done at 3 year intervals. Also, make sure the radiator is not clogged (mine was and I had to get a new one).
Good luck,
Sergio

benzdude
02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
are you saying that mechanics are not people?

Andrew C280
02-10-2004, 04:28 PM
no, i guess i worded that poorly, what i was trying to say since i am a mechanic i would know pretty much how a cooling system functions most "average mercedes owns would not" i will probally get yelled at for that comment too.

the answer i am looking for is how much coolant should be in the can, and is the system presurized. not even my dealership can not answer this question

if the system is presurized when i remove the cap when the engine is hot i should get a face full of hot coolant, my car i can open the coolant container with the engine fully warm and the coolant is 1 inch from the top of the container

audiophile
02-10-2004, 06:35 PM
this happened to my 91 300e it was over heating, changed the thermostat and it stil was running a little hot, changed the cap for the resovior and no problems since expect that damn sensor, that's still on.