PDA

View Full Version : I think my dealer is out to lunch on oil recomendations

Andrew C280
02-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Hello my dealer recomended Castrol HDX 15-w40 for the winter in canada, I was previously running synthetic in it before my aftermarket warrrenty came in to affect since I need to change my oil evey three months, they said to go with Castrol HDX, next oil change I think I am switching back to Mobile1 0-w40 synthetic, more proformance and smother running engine.

I have a 1997 C280 Sport Inline 6

any thoughts i have read the other forums and think Mobile 1 is the best oil to us, althought merecedes told me there warrenty only cover the engine if its running castrol HDX, i dont have a mercedes warrenty, and cant understand why under the hood it says merecedes benz recomends mobile 1 ???

martattack
02-14-2004, 10:22 AM
How would Mercedes even know whether or not you were running Mobile One or Castrol HDX?

But I have always heard that Mercedes recommends Mobile One, so I guess you can't go wrong with that.

Martin

moebiusgold
02-14-2004, 05:50 PM
I tried Syntec 5W-50 in my C36 . For the winter where you are I'd run the 0W-40, nothing thicker.

speedybenz
02-21-2004, 08:59 AM
One of the best oils I have found is Castrol Syntec 0w-30wt, but it is made in Germany. The bottle is black and red and says product of germany on the back. It is a completely different oil than the USA version and approved for MB's.

Try Autozone to find it.

Jeff

SLAMMED_C
02-25-2004, 07:44 PM
I know mercedes reccommends Mobile 1 for the AMG cars.. but for cars that are 1998 and newer they reccommend a synthetic oil.. we use Quaker state synthetic for the 98 and newer cars. u shouldnt need to run a synthetic oil unless u want to spend the extra money on it. and I dont know where this dealer got this from.. maybe different dealers use different brands of synthetic.. but since ur car is a 97 u dont need to run synthetic.. only if ur car was a 98 and newer.. in order to keep ur car warrantied.

Andrew C280
02-25-2004, 08:13 PM
I phoned mercedes benz canada today,
I will be running mobile 1 10w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter, right now i am running 15W40 Quakerstate HDX and it feals like the enigne is working over time its way to thick for canadian winters

Mercedes benz canada did recomened castrol syntec 10W40 for summer use, as for my warrenty its aftermarket they dont care what type it is as long as its changed every 3 months

CKlasse
02-26-2004, 06:45 AM
AMSOIL anyone?

GuelphC230
03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Guelph ontario canada here..

Well I can't tell you how I feel about the switch to synthetic cuz my kar is on it's last legs I think...but 5000kms ago i switched to the mercedes kitchener reccomended Quakerstate full synthetic.
my car hasn't died yet but she wants to stall outwhen I come to a complete stop at a light..I find it weird that mercedes is saying Mobil 1? they should all stick 2 one freeking oil THE BEST ONE !! and 97 is also recommended to run full synthetic...

Jeremy

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
out of curiosty what weight did victoria star tell you my opinon is that its for diesels and way to thick and why quakerstate i assume that its cheap shit oil i want to put mobil one in but cant find the right weight in the tricities.