PDA

View Full Version : 60 mile test drive?

mis-u-jerr
02-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey folks,
Just wondering, just had my car in (for 3 weeks :mad: )for warranty work. While I understand that they did have to test out for the problems I had, do you think that 60 miles is excessive for them to test out the car? Seems like it to me...
Thanks.

mbsickness
02-14-2004, 03:48 PM
I would say that it would depend on what was wrong with the car. Three weeks is a really long time for a dealer to have a car in for repair, what was wrong? Also which dealership was this?

Eurosport
02-14-2004, 07:50 PM
ddaaaamn 60 miles even if it's 3 weeks who cares, it shouldn't have left the shop for more than 2 miles tops
i bet someone took it home on a weekend or two :confused:

mis-u-jerr
02-14-2004, 07:53 PM
In reply to mbsickness -
I just got the car back last night and they didn't have the paperwork ready, so I can't tell you all 14 things that they worked on. I was going to start a new thread when I got the paperwork, but noticed the mileage 1st and wanted to know what you guys thought before I went back in.
I do know they replaced the freewheel in the trans, put in new cams, and a few minor things. I do believe that they were very thorough and he checked out a lot of things. I'm all for being through, that it why I didn't bitch that they had it 3 weeks, but still 60 mi seems like a lot. It was warranty work, and they finally gave me a loaner after the 2nd week. (A 203 240, not bad...)
Elliot at Park Ave Motors in Palo Alto worked on it. He really seems to know his stuff.

To Euro -
I saw it last Friday, and the trans was in quite a few pieces, so maybe not over the weekend, but somethin...

mbsickness
02-14-2004, 08:09 PM
To mis-u-jerr: Wow that seems like quite a few major items that needed work. I Park Avenue Motors part of the Smythe network? What model do you have? I have recently acquired a 96 C36 and it needs to have a few things taken care of while it is still under the Starmark Warranty. Sounds like you were happy with their work...just questioning the mileage. Park Ave is right near my work, but if their work is questionable...then I'll drive to Autobahn Motors instead. I originally said that mileage depends on what was done as I had a VW Jetta with an intermitant stalling problem that the dealer could not get to repeat. Finally they sent it home with a mechanic...lo and behold, it stalled on his way to work. They did of course as for my okay first.

Hank
02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
imho, it doesn't seem too excessive. i believe for a transmission to be rebuilt/repaired under warranty, both the shop foreman and the mechanic has to be able to determine that there is a problem. in order to do so, they take the car out for test drives on surface streets and highways. once they determined the problem, they will rebuild/rework the tranny. Then they and take it out for another test drive to make sure the problem has been resolved.

sf280
02-15-2004, 07:11 AM
If you had a new tranny put in, they need to drive it for an hour or so in order to have it "re-learn" shifting patterns etc...

mis-u-jerr
02-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Park was bought out by Smythe a while back. Well, my bro has a 400E and he loves Park. My experience, however, has been less than stellar. Several times they didn't fix what they were supposed to, even though they said (thought) that they did. But I would take it to Park over Autobahn, I have not heard good things about them.
So is replacing the freewheel part of a rebuild? I could see breaking it in if they did indeed rebuild it. I'm gonna try to go down there to pick up the paperwork tomorrow, so I will give a further report. Thanks for all of your input!
Greg.

mis-u-jerr
02-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I went down and talked to the folks at Park today when I picked up my paperwork. Man he did a lot of stuff! I'll start a new thread with all that stuff when i have more time, but suffice to say that I am OK now with all miles, seeing all the work that they did.
Thanks for everyone's input :cool:
Greg.

vas2vas
02-19-2004, 07:27 AM
check out this article....
http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic100076.html

mis-u-jerr
02-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow, lots of good info there! Thanks!

Latest update - I was typing up all the stuff done so far, but i appear to still be having problems. The "smacks up against the rev limiter before shifting" problem is still there. I once saw a fix that someone said their service people did, and it outlined all the steps taken. it might have been on mbworld but I couldn't find it. Anyone know what I am talking about?

And now the trans has developed a high pitched while under full throttle, starting at about 4K rpm...
Sheeesh, that's what happens when you have to start messing around with such complex stuff...

More later, thanks, Greg.

mis-u-jerr
03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
The whole story about what got fixed and what didn't can be found here (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3133)
Thanks, Greg.