PDA

View Full Version : burnt smell

redc36
02-21-2004, 10:52 AM
just a quick question. after driving my C36 especially if driven hard it has a burnt smell when u come to a stop for example at the light with the windows open. I though it might be worn brakes but they look good. could it be exaust? btw car has 98k on it

ryhi
02-21-2004, 12:02 PM
i had that same problem...there was some crap on my cat converter...i have no idea what it is, but it doesnt smell anymore... had the problem for about a week

Andrew C280
02-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Yah I get that same smell the car must have been driven by a old granny i even get smoke out the rear tail pipe after a quick hard run around my block i often hit about 140Km/h at first i though the gas bar was screwing me and not proving the proper octane and it was burn up my cats but even when i am running 94 octane it still dose it, that smell is definatly from the exhaust

redc36
02-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey Andrew. Howz everything.
so what do u guys think i should do. some sort catalytic conv. cleaner? how do i get rid of it?
thanks

714guy
02-21-2004, 03:43 PM
look under your car and see if anything stuck on the exhuast. I always get plastic bags stick to my car and it smells after i drive too.

Andrew C280
02-21-2004, 04:04 PM
nope nothing stuck to it, its inside the exhaust

Three Point 6
02-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Front timing chain covers are usually leaking pretty good by 90K so it could be a little oil spraying on your exhaust pipes from the wind and smelling it up? My 70k C36 leaks enough to do it but a little oil looks alot worse than it really is so dont freak out? Enough oil is probably on your plastic cover underneath the oil pan and it will run down towards the back of the car at speed.

jnolte
02-22-2004, 04:39 PM
I used to get this after a hard run in my C36 also, smelled like burnt rubber/tranny fluid. never found out what it was though

redc36
02-22-2004, 07:50 PM
hey three point 6 i think u might be right on track with that prediction. when changing oil we did notice an oil leak. it doesnt seem to be oil pan gasket but more from the front of the engine and higher sort of like where the fan is. i dont know if thats the same things u were mentioning. my mechanic said it might be seal where the fan is. sound scary to me meaning expensive to replace. what would u recommend. i dont see too much oil loss so i try to stay calm for now. tranny and engine oils are mobil 1 brand new. i still got diff and power steering oils to replace.

mr. gatsbury
09-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I wanted to bump this thread, I smell a little burn stuffs when I run it hard......does anyone know what it could be for sure? I thought it smelled electrical at first....

ShollyC220
09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
It probably is!... a clogged catalytic converter. I have this problem. After making a journey of over 500 miles round trip from Harrisburg, PA to weehawken, NJ, my exhaust smelled and was literally smoking when I parked it in the garage. I'm planning on getting a remus cat back and a hig-flow cat, so hopefully the problem will go away.
-sholly