PDA

View Full Version : My baby dont wanna start

202rules
02-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, I've got a stupid question for you. I know, if it's stupid why ask? 1) I'm stupid so it's ok :D, and 2) I need to get to work tomorrow and my car is not starting.

I was checking the spark plugs on my car this afternoon, but when I unplugged the battery's negative, I forgot to have the key in the ignition, so when I connected the battery again without the key in the ignition, my front signals and rear lights started flashing of course, and the car wouldn't start.

Now, how do I get it to act normally again? I tried putting the key in the ignition and unplugging the batter and connecting it again, but it didn't work, it still does the same thing. The lights flash for like a minute and then turn off, if I open the car again, it won't work.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

manny
02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Try locking & unlocking the car a couple of times, manually.
Sounds like the ignition lock-out is preventing you from " stealing " the car. ;)

202rules
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by manny
Try locking & unlocking the car a couple of times, manually.
Sounds like the ignition lock-out is preventing you from " stealing " the car. ;)

Yeah I tried that a couple of times and it didn't work. I wonder if you have to keep repeating it, or if you have to wait for like an amount of time before you can do it again, sort of like the radio and its code.

I'll call the mechanic tomorrow morning and try to figure it out if it's not working by then.

manny
02-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Have you started the engine at all ?

202rules
02-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by manny
Have you started the engine at all ?

No, that's the thing, it doesn't start, when you turn the key all the way it doesn't fire at all. This is the same security feature that disables the engine when the car is opened without the door being unlocked with the key (eg. if the window is open). In that case, you simply lock it and unlock again and it works. This one is wierd. I'll try it later just to see.

CKlasse
02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
That happened to me before. Try to lock and unlock your car from the TRUNK few times. It worked for me before.

202rules
02-24-2004, 08:02 AM
The car didn't start this morning, I tried everything.

I called a couple of mechanics and a couple of dealerships and looked in the owner's manual. The dealerships said the same thing, the car should start when you lock/unlock the doors or the trunk with the master key, which I tried and it didn't work. So they said bring the car, hell no I said :D

One of the dealerships said it might be the central locking pump failing to disarm the anit-theft system when i unlock the doors. The mechanic said he doubted that.

This thing all happened after I unplugged the battery without the key in the ignition. After that, I put the key in the ignition and unplugged it again and put it back. The mechanic said I had to wait at least 10 minutes with the battery unplugged for the system to reset, I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes. Is that a good reason? I still don't see what that has to do with disarming the anti-theft system.

What the heck is going on :mad:? Help!

babycarlsson
02-24-2004, 09:07 AM
To be honest with you, when I was working on the stereo setup of W202, I have disconnected my battery multiple times, even left it disconnected overnight few times, but I never had the key in the ignition, and it always started fine...

202rules
02-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by babycarlsson
To be honest with you, when I was working on the stereo setup of W202, I have disconnected my battery multiple times, even left it disconnected overnight few times, but I never had the key in the ignition, and it always started fine...

damn, so that increases the chances of having something wrong with the car, doesn't it?

The freakin thing should disarm with the keys, and it's not doing that. Isn't there a way to reset the system? Does the dealer know how to do that?

vas2vas
02-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by babycarlsson

so have I, and never had any problems whatsoever....

getting back to your problem, I don't wanna scare you, but it's possible the ECU failed or you have a faulty DME main relay (the relay that powers the car's ECU)... or one of the fuses burned possibly from shorts while taking battery or and off.... check all fuses first and then check the relays and report back to us

202rules
02-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by vas2vas
so have I, and never had any problems whatsoever....

getting back to your problem, I don't wanna scare you, but it's possible the ECU failed or you have a faulty DME main relay (the relay that powers the car's ECU)... or one of the fuses burned possibly from shorts while taking battery or and off.... check all fuses first and then check the relays and report back to us

I just came home, I unplugged the battery and I'm gonna leave it for a few hours unplugged, maybe that'll reset it.

I checked the fuses, they all seem fine. The relays, I was unable to check them, I think the way to check them is by listening for a click when the relay is supposed to switch, I was by myself so I couldn't possibly try switching the car on and listen at the same time. I'm really a novice in this, so feel free to correct me.

If some part is faulty, would there be error codes that I can read with an OBD II scanner?

202rules
02-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Same thing is happening even after I let it set there for 5 hours without the battery.

If I take it to the dealer tomorrow they're gonna charge me a $100 to run the scan and figure out what's wrong.

I'd rather tow it to the dealer than to someone else who might not know what to do with it.