PDA

View Full Version : New to the MB world - Need Everyone's Advise !!!

Tumbler
02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new car in the next few weeks and have been looking at the C230K, C280, Audi A4, Jetta, and BMW 3 Series.

Right now, the two Mercedes are at the top of my list, but I am especially concerned about reliability (not just with the MB's, but with all the aforementioned cars). I understand that all of these are no Honda/Toyota in terms of reliability, but the good thing is that they are also no Honda/Toyota in terms of luxury and driving excitement.

So my question to you guys is this:

What is your HONEST, UNBIASED opinion on the general reliability and quality of the 2000 C230K and 2000 C280?

Also, do you think that the 2000 model year for these cars is any more reliable than the other years for the 202 C class models?

I don't mind putting forth a little more effort than a Honda/Toyota requires, but I don't want to get in over my head with repairs and maintenance if you guys think that I will MOST LIKELY have a great deal of problems with the car. I take very good care of my cars and never abuse them in any way, but I am a college student and don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

manny
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Have you looked at my post at; MBworld ?

Tumbler
02-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah, thanks bud ! I'm just trying to get a little more feedback through both forums :).

Andrew C280
02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
buy the bmw or a lexus not impressed with the mercedes line so far

manny
02-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
buy the bmw or a lexus not impressed with the mercedes line so far

Have you ever owned a BMW or Lexus ?

Andrew C280
02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
My parents owned a lexus for over 14 years with no problems
I have drove tones of bmw almost bought my self a 740IL an awesome car it would put limos to shame, i have heard bmw's have alot of electrical problems. As for audi's i had the ball joint replaced on my c class my mechanic told me that audi A6 have to replace the hole upper and lower a Arms replaced at a cost of about $1600, sound stupid to me

Totally unimpressed with mercedes benz customer service and quality of there new cars.

My dad drives a 2000 jeep grand cherroke limited V8 its much better in the reliability than my Mercedes and has about the same proformance.

steponit
02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
if i had my choice i'd go and get me a bmw. dont get me wrong, i love my 2000 C230K (65k mi., 53k when purchased). so far i haven't ran into major problems but from the looks of it i should be due pretty soon.

the reason i say id get a bimmer is because my parents still have their '83 320i and it still runs great. and from my friends' experiences, their bmw are still running awesome as well. however, it's pretty damn cool to tell people my car is the silver benz across the street.

please dont kick me out of the forum...

Tumbler
02-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone!!! Please keep it coming :) .

pnsji
02-28-2004, 09:56 AM
in general, smaller engine will have:
- less problems
- cheaper parts
- easier to work with

so c230k would be a more "reliable" car then the 280.

one thing to remember, the grass always looks greener on the other side. when you own a benz, always look at bmw and other car. but it goes the other way around as well.

anyway, good luck with the purchase. try to find one with starmark warranty.

Andrew C280
02-28-2004, 03:57 PM
one thing to remember, the grass always looks greener on the other side. when you own a benz, always look at bmw and other car.

Thats why you buy a C43 and M3 then you got the best of both worlds

big tip pay the extra money for a 1 year aftermarket warrenty