PDA

View Full Version : creaking noises

GDawgC220
02-29-2004, 06:54 AM
hey all,
this morning when i went out to do some errands, coming out of the garage while turning the wheel emitted this "creaking" noise like when you open a squeeky door really slowly.

I was like, wtf. So I drove around the neighborhood trying to figure out whats wrong. Going over bumps gets me the creaking noise, turning onto streets gets loud (people were staring at my car and wondering what the hell is that).

I cut the wheel all the way to one side and then to the other side and back. The creaking noise went a way for a min but then came back again.

I tried going down the driveway slowly, flicking the steering wheel one side to another like a slalom (sp???) test. You can hear the creaking. What is that? I tried looking underneath the car, but nothing.

I'm including a video ()...right click and save. May have to turn your speakers up a little and then listen for the creaking in the background.

Thanks guys!

Creaking noise (please right click and save) (http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~gkong/mbworld/creaking.avi)

Andrew C280
02-29-2004, 07:13 AM
most likely ball joint, go above the front wheel and press up and down on the fender so that it would be like the car is bouncing.

GDawgC220
02-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
most likely ball joint go above the front wheel and press up and down on the fender so that it would be like the car is bouncing.

yea, last time i had my oil change done, they said my front right ball joint is starting to wear out...ugh. Is this an expensive job? (I was quoted at my independent dealer).

thanks.

Andrew C280
02-29-2004, 07:25 AM
there about 50 bucks each they need a cupple of nuts some shop supplies and 0.6 hours cost me 250 with a new 30 dollar air filter.

sph17
02-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Check your power stearing fluid level. You can also check the stearing dampers (look like thin shock absorbers mounted horrizontally in suspension).

Did you ever get that fog light bulb out?

GDawgC220
02-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by sph17
Check your power stearing fluid level. You can also check the stearing dampers (look like thin shock absorbers mounted horrizontally in suspension).

Did you ever get that fog light bulb out?

haha..oh yea, that fog light. I'll try it today. Had midterms and stuff last week :)

thanks for reminding me