PDA

View Full Version : speaker sizes

ryhi
05-04-2003, 01:55 PM
can someone post the speaker hole sizes?

JRE320
05-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Your door speakers would fit 5 1/4 speakers.

pnsji
05-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Bose or not?

ryhi
05-05-2003, 07:42 PM
no it doesnt have the bose package

pnsji
05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
The front door is 4.5"
However with this adapter(SAK 2001), you can fit up to 6.5"
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UADcAtoZfkiINONziGNcf*EwYkthzExj09rtfeH2EB!O6aR!Y 8*!*N6MNLrOGlB2ylZZYX4G7am2gcRjP8WoiR8joFYI640V0*E n85fJJjntJymZK6MxL4yCYA4ccGAO/mercedes_c_class_front.gif?dc=4675420794420375899

The tweeter is 1 inch, on the dash.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwC0BFEZwiCINONziGNcf*EwYkthzExjsafNNFnZc3PJ9ZGSt z6T*bhUaZd!DZoH7cMtA77i9*2jq7jNbud9mwlQUOOOwlwjcih GoPo8EDoUjhU2Yy6hgQ/mercedes_c_class_dash.gif?dc=4675420794419512133

The rear deck, you can fit 5.25" easily. If you want bigger, you need an adapter as well.

ryhi
05-06-2003, 02:40 PM
thanks pnsji i want to do four 6.5s... where is the best place to purchase the adapters?

pnsji
05-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Dunno about in USA, but I can get them from UK. They are about $25-$35 each.

Denlasoul
05-06-2003, 07:58 PM
How about the sizes in the Bose system? I want to upgrade to MB Quartz. Also, do you have link info on the spacers in case I need them.

Thnaks

pnsji
05-07-2003, 07:42 AM
The Bose system for W202 has their own little enclosure for the front door and the rear door speakers.
The front is 4" and the rear is 3"
If you want to upgrade to MBQ, I would recommend you get the adapter so you can install 6.5" easily.

Link:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/CAD_Mercedes_237.html

Denlasoul
05-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the link. Quick q though, for my car could I also go with a 6.5 inch speaker in the rear door? If so, what adapter do I use? I only saw a rear adapter that can hold 5.25 inch. Could I just use the same front adapter for the rear?

Tahnks
DLS

One last thing, what depth speaker could fit in the front and rear door?

pnsji
05-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
for my car could I also go with a 6.5 inch speaker in the rear door? If so, what adapter do I use? I only saw a rear adapter that can hold 5.25 inch.
No, 6.5" is way too big for the rear door. 5.25" should be enough for rear door.

Could I just use the same front adapter for the rear?
Nope

One last thing, what depth speaker could fit in the front and rear door?

The front is anything less than 3"
Not sure about the rear. My guess would be less than 2.5"

ryhi
05-10-2003, 08:42 AM
ok let me get this straight....direct replacement bolt on without any adapters....4.5 front...and 5.25 rear?

pnsji
05-10-2003, 09:51 AM
That should be correct.
You do not have rear door speakers.

Denlasoul
05-10-2003, 10:01 AM
pnsji:

Cool thanks for all that. Now what aobut the fiber optic lines or setup? Where is the FO lines used or how is it used? Can I just replace my speakers if I wanted to drive them with the factory headunit? If I wanted to add an amp, then I would have to do some rewiring or change out the FO lines, right?

DLS

pnsji
05-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Now what aobut the fiber optic lines or setup? Where is the FO lines used or how is it used?
The Fiber Optic is between the headunit and the CD changer only.

Can I just replace my speakers if I wanted to drive them with the factory headunit?
You could, but I would no recommend doing that. The head unit is the weak point. If you change just the head unit, it will make a lot better sound.

If I wanted to add an amp, then I would have to do some rewiring or change out the FO lines, right?
No, because the FO only from headunit to the CD changer.

I would recommend you change the headunit first only and see if you like the sound. If you want better, then add external amp and new speakers.

ryhi
05-10-2003, 07:52 PM
does anyone know if the factory tape deck/head unit has rca outputs so you can run an amp to the speakers?

Denlasoul
05-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Not too sure about RCA outputs. I know some sysytems have amp setups, but not sure how they are connected. Maybe they are speaker level connected.

pnsji:

Ok here's my problem, I really like the factory look and would like to keep my audio system looking stock but sounding alot better. How should I go about achieving this setup? Should I upgrade the speakers and run them with an amp? I know that the system will n ot be better than an aftermarket unit, but will it sound fairly good with the speaker upgrade and amp? Do you have any suggestions for a factory setup with better sound quality?

Thanks for your help, I'm really learning alot and exploring options.

DLS

PS. The dash tweeter, is that driven along with the front door speaker, meaning are they tapped together (same channel)? Also, which speaker is the amp hooked up to, all the speakers or only the rear deck? Essentially, I would like to run the 6 dash/door speakers with 4 channels, and have something left over for possible subwoofers (I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the rear deck to subs).

pnsji
05-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
does anyone know if the factory tape deck/head unit has rca outputs so you can run an amp to the speakers?

No.
You need Hi-Low converter to have RCA output.

ryhi
05-11-2003, 03:17 PM
ok its really hard for me to find 4.5" speakers....would 4" speakers fit the hole without any mods as well or not?

pnsji
05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
ok its really hard for me to find 4.5" speakers....would 4" speakers fit the hole without any mods as well or not?

If I were you, I will get the adapter and then you could easily fit 6.5" speakers.
6.5" sounding MUCH better than 4"

pnsji
05-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Ok here's my problem, I really like the factory look and would like to keep my audio system looking stock but sounding alot better. How should I go about achieving this setup? Should I upgrade the speakers and run them with an amp? I know that the system will n ot be better than an aftermarket unit, but will it sound fairly good with the speaker upgrade and amp? Do you have any suggestions for a factory setup with better sound quality?
Bose speakers has their own propietaryy setup. I am not even sure what impedance they are running and the amp producing the sound.
If you want to upgrade, upgrade the head unit first. Then if you change the speakers, you do not have to use bose amps any longer. |You could use your new head unit to power those new speakers.

PS. The dash tweeter, is that driven along with the front door speaker, meaning are they tapped together (same channel)? Also, which speaker is the amp hooked up to, all the speakers or only the rear deck? Essentially, I would like to run the 6 dash/door speakers with 4 channels, and have something left over for possible subwoofers (I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the rear deck to subs).
In general, tweeter and mid are powered together with 1 channel. Usually they come with crossover and then from the crossove, the line split into two (tweeter and mid).